DPReview: Review of the Canon EOS R5

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Of all the camera launches the R has to be one of the weirdest. Enormous hype beforehand, mass joy on official announcement and now disappointment over over heating. I know nothing of video but even I expected a small camera to heat up if its doing 8K or high frame rate 4K. I'm not sure if people were expecting miracles. I can't even figure what people are going to be doing with the camera for it to overheat. Just like bad photographers blame their tools it seems like videographers suffer from the same thing. There are very few long sequences in any film or tv program nowadays. If you can't afford a proper 8K camera you have to live with the limitations and be creative around it. Canon has made a mess with the camera launch as its over emphasised the video element. I'm sure alot of buyers might want 8K but very few will use it and most won't be able to process it anyway. They won't even have the memory space for it. Canon needs to remember that most of its buyers are photographers. By pausing on the supply of the R5 to correct 8K video overheating they've left early buyers with a potentially inferior camera to what ever changes they will make. They would have been better off delivering only 4K but they couldn't resist the marketing value of being the first consumer 8K camera (even if it did overheat).
I think the lesson for me in this whole debacle is that camera improvements from now on are marginal and being technically better or more creative is far more important having more FPS or focusing system or 8K video. If you can't make an interesting video in HD, 8K won't be much use to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I ordered my R5 through corporate B&H for the discount available there. I ordered on the day of launch but not early enough to be one of the chosen few.

Just got this from B&H unsolicited:

“I am following up on the above order, in regards to your Canon R5 that you purchased. I spoke to my purchasing team and they advised me, that as of now, we are hoping to receive our next shipment sometime in September. We sincerely apologize for the delay.“

For what it‘s worth. At least it isn’t November..

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Please explain how CANON added to “expectations” beyond listing specs and limitations...

I mean publicizing the specs alone and leading with that on every ad is pretty misleading.

From Canon’s page: “Canon revolutionized the video industry with the introduction of the EOS 5D Mark II which provided solutions for what was previously seen as improbable - the EOS R5 will again push the boundaries of what filmmakers can do compared to current DSLR and Mirrorless cameras. With Internal, uncropped 8K video shooting at up to 29.97fps, and 4K video shooting at up to 119.9fps, in 4:2:2 10-bit (H.265) Canon Log, and Dual Pixel CMOS AF available in all 8K and 4K modes, image makers worldwide will be able to tell their stories in larger-than-life resolutions. Additional new features include: Internally recorded and uncropped 8K RAW Recording up to 29.97 fps with Dual Pixel CMOS AF, and HDR-PQ Recording (H.265) capability.”

You’ll be hard pressed to find anything about limitations due to heat on their website.

Peter?

It’s time to be honest and agree that Canon built up a lot of hype on the R5 for video. Usability is way more important.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I mean publicizing the specs alone and leading with that on every ad is pretty misleading.

From Canon’s page: “Canon revolutionized the video industry with the introduction of the EOS 5D Mark II which provided solutions for what was previously seen as improbable - the EOS R5 will again push the boundaries of what filmmakers can do compared to current DSLR and Mirrorless cameras. With Internal, uncropped 8K video shooting at up to 29.97fps, and 4K video shooting at up to 119.9fps, in 4:2:2 10-bit (H.265) Canon Log, and Dual Pixel CMOS AF available in all 8K and 4K modes, image makers worldwide will be able to tell their stories in larger-than-life resolutions. Additional new features include: Internally recorded and uncropped 8K RAW Recording up to 29.97 fps with Dual Pixel CMOS AF, and HDR-PQ Recording (H.265) capability.”

You’ll be hard pressed to find anything about limitations due to heat on their website.

Peter?

It’s time to be honest and agree that Canon built up a lot of hype on the R5 for video. Usability is way more important.

It’s time to be honest?

I guess it depends on who you are, how long you’ve been around, and how gullible you are when it comes to advertising.

There is nothing in that release that isn’t true, and nothing that I don’t take with a grain of salt. To me common sense dictates - unless somehow you believe that Canon figured out a way to beat physics that no one ever has before...

Then the YouTubers got it and played “what if” until expectations were so high there was no where to go but down...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

It’s time to be honest?

I guess it depends on who you are, how long you’ve been around, and how gullible you are when it comes to advertising.

There is nothing in that release that isn’t true, and nothing that I don’t take with a grain of salt. To me common sense dictates - unless somehow you believe that Canon figured out a way to beat physics that no one ever has before...

Then the YouTubers got it and played “what if” until expectations were so high there was no where to go but down...

There gets to a point where advertising can become insulting to the consumer, gullible or not. Canon withholding the time limitations until after Pre-order day and not even being on their website is dishonest. That’s my opinion. I’m glad Peter was able to say something in his review for it.

Let me sell you a sports car.

Awesome, wait where’s the engine?

Oh, no engine, but it’s still a sports car. See? I wrote it on the spec sheet!

What YouTuber specifically?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
There gets to a point where advertising can become insulting to the consumer, gullible or not. Canon withholding the time limitations until after Pre-order day and not even being on their website is dishonest. That’s my opinion. I’m glad Peter was able to say something in his review for it.

Let me sell you a sports car.

Awesome, wait where’s the engine?

Oh, no engine, but it’s still a sports car. See? I wrote it on the spec sheet!

What YouTuber specifically?

It’s up to the consumer whether or not they’re insulted by advertising - not the other way around. I take the easy way - I don’t believe any of it until whatever it is hits the street and people are using it. Real people - not paid hacks that shill for their favorite brands. YouTubers are not your friends or relatives - they’re in it for a buck. Honestly, if paid YouTube influencers went away tomorrow I would not miss a single one of them. Not a one.

Nothing on the spec sheet is a lie and your analogy is a fail.

The equivalent would be the Bugatti scenario. It’ll do 250, but with a lot of prep and limitations. All that info is in the owner’s manual - it isn’t advertised. The 250MPH is though.

People these days seem to count on other people to tell them if a camera is going to fit their needs or not. If it’s “good enough for them..”

If Canon chooses not to reveal all info until release day that’s fine with me. I have the choice to buy or not to buy and as far as I’m concerned that’s the end of it. Not to mention I have 30 days to send it back at no cost if I don’t like it. TO ME, that’s fair.

I was in the military for 30 years and if nothing else it made me one of the biggest skeptics to ever walk the face of the earth.

Now my 5D4 and my 100L f.2.8 and I are going to go chase bees around the lavender.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019

Peter?

Usability is really subjective, I think most people will find that the following is true in practice:
  1. 8K is a killer in terms of file size and PC required to work with it.
  2. The 8K on the R5 is WAY more usable then the 8K on Sony's, Nikon's, Panasonic and Fuji.
  3. The Standard 4K on the R is going to work great for people that are still working in 1080 or have been making a living with the EOS R.
  4. The Crop 4K is better quality than the Standard 4K and is not heat limited in 30P and 24P
  5. The HQ 4K is really good quality but might be limited by heat.
  6. An Atomos Ninija v will unlock more record times as well as extend some heat restrictions.
As for the marketing, it is the job of these teams to tell THEIR truth and avoid being liable.

"Introducing Canon's new 8K fullframe heat limited, extreme recovering time, Pro STILLS???? (People do not use their phones?) Camera" just does not have the same punch as "Game On"

Bolded the areas of heat concern

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

It’s up to the consumer whether or not they’re insulted by advertising - not the other way around. I take the easy way - I don’t believe any of it until whatever it is hits the street and people are using it. Real people - not paid hacks that shill for their favorite brands. YouTubers arenot your friends or relatives - they’re in it for a buck. Honestly, if paid YouTube influencers went away tomorrow I would not miss a single one of them. Not a one.

Nothing on the spec sheet is a lie and your analogy is a fail.

The equivalent would be the Bugatti scenario. It’ll do 250, but with a lot of prep and limitations. All that info is in the owner’s manual - it isn’t advertised. The 250MPH is though.

People these days seem to count on other people to tell them if a camera is going to fit their needs or not. If it’s “good enough for them..”

If Canon chooses not to reveal all info until release day that’s fine with me. I have the choice to buy or not to buy and as far as I’m concerned that’s the end of it. Not to mention I have 30 days to send it back at no cost if I don’t like it. TO ME, that’s fair.

I was in the military for 30 years and if nothing else it made me one of the biggest skeptics to ever walk the face of the earth.

Now my 5D4 and my 100L f.2.8 are going to go chase bees around the lavender.
Well when the company is not disclosing the time limitations due to heat, one is only left with the option to look at others’ experience with the camera. There are paid ambassadors for sure. Some are not. You must decide who you trust or don’t. I value users like Gerald Undone and the extensive tests he runs to help me make a decision if the camera might work or not. And then I also have 30 days. All these things don’t discount Canon’s lack of willingness to disclose details essential to the consumer. It’s a bad look.

Well I didn’t mean to imply it as a lie. Let’s count it a fail and use your analogy because it’s better and supports my point that canon choosing to withhold the info is dishonest and insulting to the consumer. Just like a Bugatti, I guess? Lol.

I’m also a skeptic. And right now I’m skeptical of Canon and their marketing techniques that I highly disagree with yet it’s the case and we must decide to buy it or not.

As someone focused in video, I’ll wait until something is said by Canon or a better and more usable solution arrives. A stills photographer invested in EF should have an easier decision here.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

If you don’t want negative PR, find a way to keep idiot YouTubers from grabbing one item off a possible features list LONG BEFORE any official announcement about anything, and driving it into the ground before the fruit is even ripe. YouTubers overhyped 8K Before Canon even opened it’s mouth. Period.

Fixed it for you.

Bro.. Google canon r5 announcement. It’s literally what Canon led with! Lol. “8K No Crop.”

Come on now.

• Haha
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
So Canon built an amazing stills centric hybrid capable of cutting edge video performance not seen in anything else close to this price point that performs as they state it will and who’s stills performance equals or exceeds any other camera and they are doomed?

Just listen to yourselves, God I hate all this crap.
I am with you. I have the R5 and have been shooting it for 2 days now. I have used only EF lenses; my 600 f/4 IS II and an old 400 5.6 non-IS to see how the IBIS works. I have been nothing but stunned in a positive way. Great IBIS on the non-IS lens, awesome AF on all lenses, and super image quality of the 45mp sensor. I am shooting in the baking Florida sun and no over-heating when shooting stills and then short 4k60 vid clips. I generally shoot only 2-3 min. clips and it has worked great so far. I could not be happier at this point. For my type of work it seems like I may have found a real winner at less than 4K dollars. I will take it and run.

Attachments

• STK banking in R5 2500.jpg
    STK banking in R5 2500.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 174
  • STK skimming hard R5 2500.jpg
    STK skimming hard R5 2500.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 179
  • STK head on grey tones V 2000.jpg
    STK head on grey tones V 2000.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 188
  • osprey take off II R5 1600.jpg
    osprey take off II R5 1600.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 183
  • While ibis juvi profile R5 1600.jpg
    While ibis juvi profile R5 1600.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 174
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 21 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I wonder how much one could reduce the cooldown time by using something like a small Peltier-cooled travel fridge or similar device. Also, how much effect removing the lens has. How about a Peltier cooler that you can mount on the camera in place of a lens?!

That points back to the real problem: improper heat conduction away from the DIGIC X. No one can get it to cool down. Armando tried a freaking leaf blower. If the sensor was overheating airflow through the mount (lens off, shutter open) would cool it down in 1m. If there was a physical connection between the DIGIC chip and the body then fans and ice packs would work. People are setting ice packs on it and throwing it in refrigerators and it still takes forever to cool.

What was Canon trying to do? Save money on inert heatsink materials?

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
You basically just said "move to another brand and don't invest in Canon RF glass." Is that really what Canon wants or needs in this shrinking market?
I don’t speak for Canon, but they would probably prefer a potential customer to move to another brand Instead of continuously bad mouthing the Canon brand.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I am with you. I have the R5 and have been shooting it for 2 days now. I have used only EF lenses; my 600 f/4 IS II and an old 400 5.6 non-IS to see how the IBIS works. I have been nothing but stunned in a positive way. Great IBIS on the non-IS lens, awesome AF on all lenses, and super image quality of the 45mp sensor. I am shooting in the baking Florida sun and no over-heating when shooting stills and then short 4k60 vid clips. I generally shoot only 2-3 min. clips and it has worked great so far. I could not be happier at this point. For my type of work it seems like I may have found a real winner at less than 4K dollars. I will take it and run.
Awesome images, thank you for sharing!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I downloaded to look at the files. The STK head on was shot with a Sony 9 II + 200-600mm according to the EXIF. How does the Sony compare with the R5?

• Sad
Upvote 0