DPReview: Review of the Canon EOS R5

It's only your opinion, not a fact.
Fact is when someone is calling them names, it shows signs of being immature and easily angered.

Canon saying to use an external fan to reduce the internal heat on the R5 camera is deceptive and wrong and HUGE disservice to their customers.

You trying to silence people into not complaining about these issue is not going to get Canon back to being a trustworthy company that used to build only features that were reliable and predictable.

Putting 8K in a $4 camera designed to be a stills 1st camera is gimmick.
Putting 8K in a $4k video 1st camera would have been the correct thing to do.
Well to be fair the only fact in your post is "Canon saying to use an external fan to reduce the internal heat on the R5 camera". The rest of your post is your opinion. Which carries the same validity as everyone elses.

It's a forum, some people like to discuss, some like to argue, some like to just watch, some like to laugh. There are very few facts - you need to read a lot of posts to find them. In my post above, there is a lot of conjecture there. A couple of facts. Take it as you please....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
The original 5D in 2005 had no video or live view and was priced at $3200 USD which is about $4224 USD in 2020 dollars. I can't complain about the price of the R5 because its less expensive than the original 5D. I don't think I'm paying more for video because cost to manufacture is largely based on volume, and video sells more cameras.
I said this same thing about price when it was announced and was shouted down. Pricing on this is in line with every 5 D.

it is at least gratifying to see more and more sensible takes now the shrieking has died down around price, expectations and all the rest. This happens with every big camera launch, it just felt a lot more aggressive this time around. Ultimately, the market will decide if it’s a hit or not. Certainly talk of pre orders not arriving until September suggests a decent amount of people don’t care what youtubers think.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
That's part of the frustration of how Canon operates. Instead of working from requirements inwards, they decide what tier they're targeting and select à la carte features which can be accommodated at that price point.

I mean did any 5D4 pros really state, when surveyed, that 8K video clips were a requirement for its successor?

Can you tell me any tech company that operates the way that you're saying? Apple or Samsung isn't going to drop the price in next year's model if features or components end up being cheaper than before. They might release a different product at a cheaper price point, but not change the price of their flagship phones. But Canon does the same. They have different price tiers of products.

And it's not like Canon is adding totally unrelated features to photography, like a bottle cap opener and tweezers. Sensors and processors are needed for both, they're very closely related. Like someone else mentioned, the 45 megapixels and 20 FPS we're getting is related to 8k. Eye-auto focus has got to at least partially be because of a video initiative if not primarily because of video that they could also implement for stills.

As for your last question, while I don't really do much video, I do remember how reviewers and pros are always complaining about the Canon's "cripple hammer" for not implementing enough features. And I remember how people complained about Canon not using the full sensor and instead forcing cropped 4K video. They didn't do that this time. So you could say that yes, pros were basically asking for it in its successor.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I wonder how much one could reduce the cooldown time by using something like a small Peltier-cooled travel fridge or similar device. Also, how much effect removing the lens has. How about a Peltier cooler that you can mount on the camera in place of a lens?!

Wouldn't that cause water vapor to condense inside the camera?

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Admin do you think that they are happy with the overheating to protect a new RF cinema camera that is gonna be announced soon?

I think they're happy to test the 8K sensor in a cheaper camera prior to using it in a pro camera. I don't expect a 5D or an R5 to be a pro cinema camera, treat the video features as a useful bonus, and am happy with it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Canon's pre-release teasers placed heavy emphasis on the video capabilities of the camera. In fact, there were a lot of complaints on this forum from stills shooters because the pre-release marketing was so heavily weighted toward video.
Understood and respected, still doesn't prove that they lied or misinformed people. They simply accentuated what they thought as the best strategy to make more sales.
The only fact so far is that we assumed the 8K to be perfect and we didn't "read the fine print". There is a saying in not to assume.
As for the complaints, I share the opinion. This is the most capable still camera on paper, but I guess they wanted not to cloud the 1DX III too much. I bought mine primarily for the 45MP and internal (adapter) ND filter, secondary for the 4K HQ and size for gimbal work.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I keep hearing people talking about cooling the camera in a fridge. Wouldn’t that rapid change cause condensation inside the camera? Especially with the lens off.
who cares about taking photos with cameras in this day and age? yeah. it will fog up.. like a a cold bottle of beer pulled out of your Esky.. isn't that cool? :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Meanwhile... Photonstophotos released the dynamic range chart for the R5...

... and it beats A7RIV.

This is absolutely unexpected surprise from Canon, looking forward to getting this beast. Seriously, this is something to talk about, not the boring overheating issue.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Meanwhile... Photonstophotos released the dynamic range chart for the R5...

... and it beats A7RIV.

This is absolutely unexpected surprise from Canon, looking forward to getting this beast. Seriously, this is something to talk about, not the boring overheating issue.
I got really excited about this too! It's not quite an apples to apples comparison though.. the R5 is applying some noise reduction to the RAW files at low ISO. Still a step forward from the 5d IV and R though

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
So why did they market it as an 8K full frame camera?

I, for one, don't even care. I want it for IBIS, the ability to mount 15-35mm f/2.8 w/ IS & 24-70mm f/2.8 w/ IS, the extra resolution, etc.

My computer screen is 2K. I had a 14 inch TV once, gifted it to a neighbor over 15 years ago, and haven't looked back. Ever since reality shows became a thing, TV became a cultural wasteland filled with inappropriate metaphors and an unrealistic portrayal of life created by the liberal media elite.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
There gets to a point where advertising can become insulting to the consumer, gullible or not. Canon withholding the time limitations until after Pre-order day and not even being on their website is dishonest. That’s my opinion. I’m glad Peter was able to say something in his review for it.

Let me sell you a sports car.

Awesome, wait where’s the engine?

Oh, no engine, but it’s still a sports car. See? I wrote it on the spec sheet!

What YouTuber specifically?
your example is not quite correct. if the car was advertised with NO engine, then you received exactly what has been advertised.
Canon was upfront about limitations around some recording times and also limited availability of 12FPS mechanical shutter mode...
so.. all the features that Canon claimed for the day one are all present in the final product. there are limitation and they are very finely defined.

show me a single feature of R5 or |R6 that has been advertised and is not available in the final product.
Let me help you though: there is no such a feature..

• Love
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I got really excited about this too! It's not quite an apples to apples comparison though.. the R5 is applying some noise reduction to the RAW files at low ISO. Still a step forward from the 5d IV and R though
yeah. it s a cooked RAW above ISO 400. we are not looking at the genuine numbers here.. the data has been already tampered with OOC.. lipstick on a pig? :D

Upvote 0
I noticed the triangles and noise reduction too, but couldn't find what that means exactly in practice. Is it really applied in camera? Or the files used in measurements has the noise reduction applied (for any reason)?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I thought it was cooked below ISO 400?

here is the chart.. so.. read noise is growing up to ISO 320 .. and then suddenly and abruptly drops down to the level of ISO 125 approx. why did the noise level dropped? they cocked the RAW at iso 400 and above.. I may be incorrect and happy to be corrected.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
here is the chart.. so.. reaad noise is growing up to ISO 320 .. and then suddenly and abruptly drops down to the level of ISO 125 approx. why did the noise level dropped? they cocked the RAW at iso 400 an above.. I may be incorrect and happy to be corrected.

According to Bill Claff on the DPreview forums all ISOs before 640 have noise reduction applied and at ISO 400 a new gain kicks in.

Have a look at https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4509197 and https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4509191

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0