Crowdsourced R5 Shipment Tracker

Canon R5 Shipment Tracker

Hopefully this can help us all get an idea of where we all are in the shipment queue instead of jumping around threads and seeing who got what from where.

Feedback welcome!

8/14 Update: Shipped by Canon via FedEx from Hayward, CA. ETA 8/17 to San Diego, CA.

Changelog:
1.1 Changed times to EST/EDT (using formula for existing entries) to more closely match B&H/Canon announcement times
1.2 Added colors to visually identify each vendor & order status
1.3 Sorting by Body/Kit > Vendor > Order Date > Order Time, will try and do this at least every night
1.3 Locked user-input cells to prevent inadvertent spreadsheet sorting/manipulation
1.4 Added two row "markers" to help identify inadvertent sorting
1.5 Will input generic values for any missing entries (e.g. time) to help with sorting algorithm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 12, 2016
The thing popped up and said to put the time in PST, which I did, even though I'm in the eastern time zone. I imagine some people are going to screw this up, so the times may not be reliable.

And if you really want to split hairs, I'm pretty sure it said put the time in PST, and we aren't on standard time right now, most of us are on daylight savings time right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The thing popped up and said to put the time in PST, which I did, even though I'm in the eastern time zone. I imagine some people are going to screw this up, so the times may not be reliable.

And if you really want to split hairs, I'm pretty sure it said put the time in PST, and we aren't on standard time right now, most of us are on daylight savings time right now.

How did I know this was the first thing that was gonna pop up, haha? Figured most EST/EDT would just know to add 3 hours. Hopefully it'll still serve as a rough estimate tool - better than nothing and/or getting canned or mixed responses from customer support.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
How did I know this was the first thing that was gonna pop up, haha? Figured most EST/EDT would just know to add 3 hours. Hopefully it'll still serve as a rough estimate tool - better than nothing and/or getting canned or mixed responses from customer support.
Yeah I like the idea. Might be useful if enough people enter in their info. Feeling very blessed to have gotten a camera on launch day and I'm babying mine so far while still trying to use it for what it was made for. Not only is it a $4000 camera right now, but it's a $4000 camera that I can't buy another one of. :oops:

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

Just say "Pacific Time" then; it's understood to mean the time the Pacific coast is using now.

It seems like 90 percent of people don't understand what that S means--and what it doesn't mean.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Interesting that someone else also got their camera shipped from Amazon. It's beginning to feel like the bigger the player, the more units they received. I think the conventional wisdom is that the "big" specialty camera shops like B&H are the best way to get newly released equipment first, but that doesn't seem like the case this time.

Upvote 0

skp

5DIV, 7DII, 60D
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2014
I think the conventional wisdom is that the "big" specialty camera shops like B&H are the best way to get newly released equipment first, but that doesn't seem like the case this time.
I used to believe that the conventional wisdom was that going through local brick and mortar retailers was the best way to go, partially because with brick and mortar store you don't have to wait until the item is officially offered for sale on a website. I called and got on my local store's informal preorder list well before the official launch. Some local shops didn't get any units at all on launch and the very large store that I went through only got five. Judging by the reports I'm seeing in forums, at least a decent number of people got their cameras in the first batch from B&H. Meanwhile, even though I ordered before everyone else who ordered online from B&H, I still don't have a camera. In hindsight, I would have been better off if I had waited until announcement day and ordered online.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I used to believe that the conventional wisdom was that going through local brick and mortar retailers was the best way to go, partially because with brick and mortar store you don't have to wait until the item is officially offered for sale on a website. I called and got on my local store's informal preorder list well before the official launch. Some local shops didn't get any units at all on launch and the very large store that I went through only got five. Judging by the reports I'm seeing in forums, at least a decent number of people got their cameras in the first batch from B&H. Meanwhile, even though I ordered before everyone else who ordered online from B&H, I still don't have a camera. In hindsight, I would have been better off if I had waited until announcement day and ordered online.

On the other hand, I did what you did, going through a brick and mortar, and may well have had my camera before anyone else in Colorado Springs. Of course, I had to charge the battery before I could use it (owning no other LPE6-ish using camera), so the guy who came in right behind me may have been taking photos before I was.

Upvote 0

skp

5DIV, 7DII, 60D
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2014
Looking at this tracker just makes me more disappointed that I went through a major brick and mortar retail shop, but also sad for what that means for the industry. I want to support my local shop, but people who ordered online weeks after me are apparently now getting indications their orders are about to be fulfilled, while I'm still waiting for the call.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
My local store still shows mine as back-ordered. He's pissed that Canon is shipping to consumers before him - as he should be
Why, what makes him so special that his customers should get a priority over customers ordering from the Canon store? They only get a small allocation as well, just like every other retail operation.

Upvote 0
Why, what makes him so special that his customers should get a priority over customers ordering from the Canon store? They only get a small allocation as well, just like every other retail operation.
Because it's Canon going direct to the consumer instead of shipping to the dealers that helped them build their business. This dealer is a family business that's been around since the 60s. We're not talking a small allocation, we're talking no allocation! Granted, it's not a huge store, but they do a decent business. According to him Sony and Nikon always seem to squeeze at least a couple of any new model for him. If this behavior keeps up we'll be at the mercy of online retailers and what's left of B&M shops will be gone. That may be fine for experienced photographers, but the people who need service will have nowhere to go. I could've ordered from B&H the second the link went online but I am choosing to support local business.

Upvote 0
I don't have that kind of knowledgeable B&M camera stores nearby, but decided to support B&H as a dedicated store that has always served me well. Ordered right at the announcement but still no luck and should apparently have ordered from Amazon instead. At least when you order from Amazon you can usually trust their dates and that they won't let people in front of you in the line.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Because it's Canon going direct to the consumer instead of shipping to the dealers that helped them build their business. This dealer is a family business that's been around since the 60s. We're not talking a small allocation, we're talking no allocation! Granted, it's not a huge store, but they do a decent business. According to him Sony and Nikon always seem to squeeze at least a couple of any new model for him. If this behavior keeps up we'll be at the mercy of online retailers and what's left of B&M shops will be gone. That may be fine for experienced photographers, but the people who need service will have nowhere to go. I could've ordered from B&H the second the link went online but I am choosing to support local business.
I do appreciate your support of local shops, I try to do the same when I can. Unfortunately, I can't do that with camera gear because there are no such shops near me.

That said, I don't see where the Canon store should take a back seat to other retailers, nor should customers that chose to purchase direct from Canon be penalized for their choice of purchasing outlet. Besides, the Canon store has a shortage as well...it's not like they are steadily shipping out bodies while the rest of the retail world watches. If there was some evidence that was happening, I'd tend to agree with you.

For the time being, though, the R5 is in short supply. Canon indicated that would be the case months ago, so no surprises. I hope you get your camera soon.

Upvote 0
My R5 officially shipped today 8/14. Ships from Canon Logistics in Hayward, CA. ETA to San Diego is Monday 8/17. Showed up in my Order page as "shipped" (with tracking) before I got the FedEx email. Never got a status change email from Canon. Original order placed 7/19/20 @ 0200 (ET) through Canon EPP.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0