Breakthrough Photography launches the ‘Breakthrough R’ drop-in filters for the Canon EOS R system

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Breakthrough Filters recently unveiled a new filter system called “Breakthrough R” designed specifically for the Canon EOS R system. Every filter type manufactured by Breakthrough Filters is now available in the “R” size option specifically for the “Breakthrough R. system including all-new filters such as Variable NDs and Black & White Polarizers.
These filters work with Canon’s Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R.
Design
“Breakthrough R” Drop-In Filters feature a rugged, weather-sealed construction designed to withstand the elements with dust and water resistance. And to make identifying filters fast and easy, each filter is color-coded. Multiple “Breakthrough R” filters are easily stored in an all-new compact travel-friendly case that fits up to 5 filters...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure about weather sealing with this system. If you have a water splash on the filters on the front of the lens, it's ok. But if the water gets in between the lens and the sensor...

1 Tape over the filter access port (hassle while changing filters)
2 short watertight textile hose with two ribbons to keep water out
3 small hole on the underside of the EF-RF filter adapter to drain the water (don't forget to paint the inside of that hole matte black)

Hopefully they have some gasket between their filters or they will be available soon by a thirt (fourth?) party supplier.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Looks good! But the thought of having a filter between my sensor and lens is worrying me, especially if there are unnoticed particles on the filter. Neat solution though, I’m sticking with my Lee filters for the time being.

On my RP it does a good job at keeping the dust out when changing lenses. I do have to use a blower to clean the filter every now and then :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

leadin2

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2017
Singapore
On my RP it does a good job at keeping the dust out when changing lenses. I do have to use a blower to clean the filter every now and then :)
I have the habit of cleaning before and after but just worrying what I am not able to see. Perhaps I have to try it out to know. The new R series comes with the normal adapter, I wonder if I can pay more to upgrade to the one with filter slot.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I have the habit of cleaning before and after but just worrying what I am not able to see. Perhaps I have to try it out to know. The new R series comes with the normal adapter, I wonder if I can pay more to upgrade to the one with filter slot.

I really like having a CPL for all my lenses, specifically for the MP-E65, using a front filter on that tends to degrade IQ when using a flash.
If you go with the filter adapter, be aware that there's no slot cover included, so you need to get the €99 clear filter as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

leadin2

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2017
Singapore
I really like having a CPL for all my lenses, specifically for the MP-E65, using a front filter on that tends to degrade IQ when using a flash.
If you go with the filter adapter, be aware that there's no slot cover included, so you need to get the €99 clear filter as well.
Yes, I always have UV-0 filters in front, life saviour for once and I always make sure every lens has one since then. Thanks for pointing out.

Upvote 0
Or a piece of black gaffers tape.

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
Or, replace the filter adapter with the $99. spacer adapter.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0