Breakthrough Photography launches the ‘Breakthrough R’ drop-in filters for the Canon EOS R system

Yes, I always have UV-0 filters in front, life saviour for once and I always make sure every lens has one since then. Thanks for pointing out.
I felt the same way but then I was at a lecture at the Canon Learning Center and the photographer (I think it was Pye Jyrsa but might have been a different lecturer) and also the Canon rep (Jessica Bruzzi) in charge of the education at the center both said to the attendees that it’s better not to degrade the image quality with a filter (even an expensive one) and not to worry about it because if you happen to damage the front element it the least expensive fix. I believe she (the Canon rep) quoted something like $70 to replace a front element, which I guess isn’t as expensive as the other elements to repair. Just something to consider.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I felt the same way but then I was at a lecture at the Canon Learning Center and the photographer (I think it was Pye Jyrsa but might have been a different lecturer) and also the Canon rep (Jessica Bruzzi) in charge of the education at the center both said to the attendees that it’s better not to degrade the image quality with a filter (even an expensive one) and not to worry about it because if you happen to damage the front element it the least expensive fix. I believe she (the Canon rep) quoted something like $70 to replace a front element, which I guess isn’t as expensive as the other elements to repair. Basically their point was the cost to fix a damaged front element was about the same as an expensive clear filter and doesn’t degrade the quality. So I’ve stopped using them.
. Just something to consider.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
I felt the same way but then I was at a lecture at the Canon Learning Center and the photographer (I think it was Pye Jyrsa but might have been a different lecturer) and also the Canon rep (Jessica Bruzzi) in charge of the education at the center both said to the attendees that it’s better not to degrade the image quality with a filter (even an expensive one) and not to worry about it because if you happen to damage the front element it the least expensive fix. I believe she (the Canon rep) quoted something like $70 to replace a front element, which I guess isn’t as expensive as the other elements to repair. Just something to consider.

$70 for the front element on what lens? A 50mm f1.8stm or a 600mm f4? I'd bet it isn't the 600mm.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

You're shooting sled dogs over the winter in Alaska. A dog slobbers on your lens. It freezes instantly. You unscrew the UV filter. Slip it in your pocket. Carry on shooting until it thaws. Then clean it, screw it back on with virtually no interruption to your workflow.

What would be the alternative workflow without a filter?

Just one positive example. There are numerous.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
You're shooting sled dogs over the winter in Alaska. A dog slobbers on your lens. It freezes instantly. You unscrew the UV filter. Slip it in your pocket. Carry on shooting until it thaws. Then clean it, screw it back on with virtually no interruption to your workflow.

I was going to go with the filter took the brunt of damage, unscrew and keep going... vs putting lens back in you bag and be without it for a while. Which is basically what you wrote.

If I need that much clarity, removing it for those shots is an option.

Also, there is this disclaimer on just about every lens... "Attach Canon filters (Canon PROTECT filter, etc.) to achieve its dust-resistance and water-resistance performance."

Upvote 0
1 Tape over the filter access port (hassle while changing filters)
2 short watertight textile hose with two ribbons to keep water out
3 small hole on the underside of the EF-RF filter adapter to drain the water (don't forget to paint the inside of that hole matte black)

Hopefully they have some gasket between their filters or they will be available soon by a thirt (fourth?) party supplier.

Especially interesting how the tape on that CPL wheel will look like. Drilling the holes in the adapters also sounds fun, looking forward to seeing examples on youtube.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, not for me... sold all of my EF-S/EF (no-L) glass when I got into the RF and planning on sticking with RF from here out. But for those w/ EF glass, I'm happy for you all.

Breakthrough magnetic filters must be good, I'm thinking of getting this system. Not so convinced in these adapter ones. I assume they're good for ultra-wide lenses with bulky front element and for video. Replacing in-adapter filters in the field, in the sea spray etc. doesn't feel right.

Upvote 0
I was going to go with the filter took the brunt of damage, unscrew and keep going... vs putting lens back in you bag and be without it for a while. Which is basically what you wrote.

If I need that much clarity, removing it for those shots is an option.

Also, there is this disclaimer on just about every lens... "Attach Canon filters (Canon PROTECT filter, etc.) to achieve its dust-resistance and water-resistance performance."

I'll bet you a steak dinner that the new RF50/1.2 requires a filter to achieve any kind of water resistance. I think, if memory serves the old EF 50/1.2 was the same.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Breathing some life into those old EF lenses. There may be reasons to prefer some EF to their RF cousins?
The filter adapter is one of my main reasons for being interested in an R5, I use the EF 15mm, TS-E 17 and EF 11-24 and these cheap options are a boost to the couple available from Canon, even the clear one is a winner.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'll bet you a steak dinner that the new RF50/1.2 requires a filter to achieve any kind of water resistance. I think, if memory serves the old EF 50/1.2 was the same.
Yes indeed. The moving front element on the RF 50mm screams water and dust vacuum. I got a UV filter for mine. But didn't worry about it for my other lenses with a fixed front element.

Upvote 0
$70 for the front element on what lens? A 50mm f1.8stm or a 600mm f4? I'd bet it isn't the 600mm.
Yes but I protect my 600mm with the hood. Are you saying you have a UV filter on yours? How expensive was that?

I stopped using b&w UV filters quite a while back - across all my lenses it would be costing me a significant amount. Sure if it got broke while I was away it would hurt, but hey that’s the chance I take. Everyone has a different approach to these things but I concur withJuangrande...

Upvote 0

Lol I hadn’t considered that. You win.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
A use case: I was shooting candid portraits in Indonesia, Bali in Jan 2020 just side of the main road. A pickup track drove past and got me and my camera all covered in mud splashes. the filter was covered with mud. I removed the filter and continued shooting.. should I not have a filter on the lens at the time, I would have been literary stuffed.

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
A use case: I was shooting candid portraits in Indonesia, Bali in Jan 2020 just side of the main road. A pickup track drove past and got me and my camera all covered in mud splashes. the filter was covered with mud. I removed the filter and continued shooting.. should I not have a filter on the lens at the time, I would have been literary stuffed.
But the second truck would have got you. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
Since I was going to transition away from my DSLRs after getting thr R5, I was thinking of mayb converting my 70D or 6D to an IR/UV camera just for fun.

It seems like getting this IR filter might be a better option. I wont get the UV side, but to just mess around with I won't have to convert anything.

Maybe the black and white filters would be fun too.

Although even before this announcement, Ive wanted a blank placeholder. A way to stop using any filter without having to completely switch out to the plain or control ring adapter. Plus a place to store the filter when not in use.

I see here on their page they offer cases for bundles, but no stand alone cases. If you buy a single filter, does it come with a case?

Edit: I emailed them. Each filter does come with a case. Makes sense, but I just didn't see any images of it on their page, so I just wanted to make sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0