This is probably the best camera review I’ve ever watched – Gerald Undone with the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

I felt like being a strictly video first camera guy he, in other videos more than this one, has been biased towards video features. While I would admit the R5 and the R6 are not workhorse cinema cameras, I feel like both are better than the Sony a7s III. The sony asks users to sacrifice too much photography features for video features that are not that much better in terms of quality and quality alone than both the R5 and the R6's video features. There are a lot of other things that make the sony a great video camera but the quality alone isn't that much better than the R5 and R6. In fact, both of the Canon’s oversampled 4k modes exceed the Sonys 4k mode in quality, but the canons have a huge problem with overheating, which of course has been said over and over again. And its more than fair, the over heating itself isn’t just an issue, it's the ridiculous cool downtime. But comparing standard 4k modes of both cameras, the Sony does better because it doesn’t have to throw away as much information as the canons because it’s the sensor is lower resolution. Which of course makes it an amazing low light camera and gives it excellent video quality, but makes it tough to recommend. While the low light beats the canon by a country mile, I feel like the standard 4k doesn’t beat it by that much. But the canon is head and shoulders above it on the photography side. It shoots faster, has more resolution, and autofocus is better. Even the eye autofocus is as good if not better than Sony’s. At the price point of $3500, it's hard to recommend Sony to anyone that has an interest in shooting both stills and video, especially if you want to post pictures anywhere else than IG. But again, it's a great video camera with great video quality, and other amazing bells and whistles that reinforce it as a video-first camera, but if it were priced at 2800 to 3000 it would be tougher to put this over the R5, but I still think in some ways both canons are better.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
He should have opened the review with the statement that ”the following video will be of no interest to anyone who buys this camera for its primary purpose...”

I want my 23 minutes back.

The only reason I watched him at all was because of the headline ”best camera review ever....”

Wow.

You've spent more than 10X that amount here on CR complaining about people complaining about the ONLY Stills cameras in the WORLD that does 8K VIDEE-OHHHHH. LOL!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
If you're thinking wildlife shooting this camera is more than impressive and the reviews are showing it. This guy's delivery is kind of boring but the substance is there and it is well worth viewing so I'm repeating the link. The haters are going to be sulking soon. Eye AF better than the A9II which was/is his go to camera.

Jack

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I guess you missed the last 10 years where Canon have been chastised for playing it safe, not innovating enough and protecting other products in their line-up. The cardinal sin has also been committed by not giving the YouTube Vloggers what they demanded! ;)

Yes, I missed that too.

Please point me to where any V-Logger in the last 10 years has said: "Canon, just give us feature X. I don't care if it overheats in Z minutes"

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm not a video guy so it doesn't really matter much to me, but I would be interested in hearing theories about this:

geraldundoneheattest.jpg

Why does the R6 have overheating time limits on the modes that the R5 does not? (Specifically looking at 4K24).. With the significantly smaller number of megapixels and same processor I would expect the run time to be longer.

The only theories I can come up with (and these are kind of supported by what others have seen):

1) The magnesium body on the R5 is an integral part of the cooling process.
2) The reformatting of raw sensor data is more computationally extensive from a 20MP sensor than a 45MP one. Maybe the aspect ratios are not good for video on the R6.

Any comments?

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
If you're thinking wildlife shooting this camera is more than impressive and the reviews are showing it. This guy's delivery is kind of boring but the substance is there and it is well worth viewing so I'm repeating the link. The haters are going to be sulking soon. Eye AF better than the A9II which was/is his go to camera.

Jack
I know, I just posted that a few replies back :)

Thanks, Jack!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I guess you missed the last 10 years where Canon have been chastised for playing it safe, not innovating enough and protecting other products in their line-up. The cardinal sin has also been committed by not giving the YouTube Vloggers what they demanded! ;)
And yet, this "playing it safe" led them to dominate the market.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Everybody who plans to buy an R5 or R6 should watch this video. Then, don’t complain when the camera does what Gerald Undone clearly tells you it is going to do. :cool:
What? Take great photos. I’ve honestly never even looked at the video menus on my cameras let alone shot even one second of video. Not everyone cares about video. Keep your peanut butter out of my chocolate! Does every camera body have to be a Reese’s peanut butter cup?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Useful testing, but it doesn't correlate that well with DPRs testing, particularly with respect to cool down times. The review is 95% about video (the very thing he says you shouldn't buy the camera for and then his conclusions are stupidly binary. E.g. "If you need 8k, don't buy this camera". That is a stupid remark in that it doesn't qualify how you might use it for 8k and ignores the fact that it is only way to get to 8k short of spending $100k on a Red. It seems like most utubers are more interested in being influencers that informers. So far, Gordon Laing's review at Camera Labs is way the best.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0