Canon EOS R5 records 4 hours of 4KHQ 30p to an external recorder, with a couple of simple tweaks

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Hey, can anyone use Atomos Shogun 7 to test Canon R5 4K at 120 FPS ? Maybe 4h+ OR unlimited recording like the HQ mode? :) That would be awesome!

On page 310 of the R5 manual, it says 8k movies sent to the HDMI port will be 4k. I think that means the HDMI port will not support 8K and thus also not 4k/120.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
On page 310 of the R5 manual, it says 8k movies sent to the HDMI port will be 4k. I think that means the HDMI port will not support 8K and thus also not 4k/120.
Current 2.0 to 2.0b does support 4k120 in 8bit 4:2:0 and the same for 8k. 2.1 supports 10bit.

Canon may have chosen not to allow 8k over HDMI either to restrict or as they knew nothing supported it. Or cause they didn’t want to do 4:2:0.

Upvote 0
I had the sam thought since the cards are so expensive most of the people that tested the camera had just one.
that would be a sweet workaround if it worked :D

My guess is that it might help but you still need the internals of the camera to be completely cool for the new card for maximum recording time.

Upvote 0
My guess is that it might help but you still need the internals of the camera to be completely cool for the new card for maximum recording time.
So I just have to carry my cards in portable fridge, joke to the side. I see another test thjat can be done. Film without cfexpress card in skipped line 4k and then when needed put the cfxpress for higher frame-rates, after doing them take it out and continue to film in ordinary 4k.

Upvote 0

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
While I agree it increases flexibility, I don't agree that it doesn't add much more bulk. You are adding 1.3lbs to the top of the camera if you run a 750 2hr battery or 1.65lbs if you run a 3hr 970 battery. If you add a cage, arm and mount the monitor to the side, that's another 1 lb. In actuality, I always run my Ninja V and camera in a cage just so I can lock my HDMI cables and lock the SSD in so it doesn't pop out. All of those things can dump your shot if it happens while on the move. I've had HDMI cables catch on sliders before, etc.

Don't forget you also need to bring extra batteries just for the monitor and If you are shooting talking heads and need the runtime, you can't just take off the monitor anymore because you will run back into overheating. Lastly, if you then need to take the camera off sticks and move it to a gimbal, you can't just leave the monitor on top or on the side. You have to take off the monitor, rig it on the gimbal below and re-route your cables or you will have no way to balance it. The last issue can be handled with a separate body, but you also need a second monitor as well unless you can keep the thermal limitations in check or move the monitor back and forth.

I think certain styles of shooting can work with external recording, but it is a narrow window without accepting other compromises.
I agree with this.
Not just about the bulk but about whether you can ultimately take a external recorder into a venue.
Many venues (eg sports, concerts, amusement parks) have subjective restrictions on what you are allowed to bring in.
For instance your may be allowed to bring in a relatively compact ILC with a compact lens, but if you bring in an ILC with a 70-200 lens they may prevent you from entry. I highly doubt these sorts of places want you to bring in caged equipment with external recorders - ie if you look like a pro entering these events they will try to shut you down, whereas if you are just attending the event with a camera they may let you in.

I’m not sure exactly how these external recorders work, but I guess a question I would have is whether I needed a cage for this or whether I would have to use the monitor. If I am entering a venue I would love to be able to leave a slim external recorder in my pocket and just have the camera out in full use - that would mean that the camera screen and viewfinder still have to work normally.
In general I am very excited about these turn of events that may result in additional firmware updates or other solutions to better manage the heat internally.

Upvote 0
He says in the review that the camera doesn't get hot on the outside, only moderately warm. This makes me wonder what could be the reason for this, and I cant really make sense of this. If certain components inside the camera indeed overheat to a considerable temperature, say 80°C, and the camera stays moderately warm outside, this would mean those components in the inside must be thermally really really well isolated. It would fit to the observation of a cool-down time of 2h. But who would thermally isolate components inside?

But then, when those components are able to cool down within 2h, this gives us a clue as to the thermal conductivity of those components: if heat goes down by conduction to room temperature within 2h I would assume an exponential heat half-life time of around 1h. Assuming this thermal conductivity, then I can't understand why the camera would suddenly overheat at 4 hours, I would assume the camera would have to approach thermal equilibrium within 2h and should be able to hold that state indefinitely. (equilibrium: Heat in = heat out. If heat gets out within 2h, then all the heat you put in within 2h also leaves the camera within 2h, so if you can go for more than 2h, that should be indefinite equilibrium)

It would be really interesting to see infrared-images of an overheated camera, to see, where the body dissipates heat to. It must go somewhere.

It all makes no real sense to me. I come to the conclusion, this must be somehow software-limited, not actually physically overheating components.

Upvote 0
I think at best this solves one problem but creates another. Because while you now might be able to record longer video you've sacrificed the versatility of the camera. With the additional attachments it would be much more difficult to use it for photography. If you know you'll only need it for one or the other then it's fine, but switching back and forth between the two no longer becomes very practical. One of the big advantages of hybrid cameras is being able to quickly and easily switch between photo and video. Can't do that with a recorder attached (and all that comes with having one)

Still, it is a solution of sorts to the overheating problem.

Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
I did a quick search:

The prograde CFexpress at b&h says operating temp:

14 to 158°F/ -10 to 70°C

And for the sandisk extreme uhs-ii it says the operating temp:

-13 to 185°F/ -25 to 85°C

Maybe this is why the R6 can record for longer internally?

Thanks, and now we need overheating tests with different card models. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Here is a second video from Vistek where they did the same thing (he didn’t run a torture test but ran it for 2 hours without breaking a sweat)

‪Canon R5 Redux: Deep Testing Overheating, Resolution, and Auto Focus.

This is huge news and hopefully we will see more workarounds like this!!
The thing that kind of shocked me from this video, first that 'clarity' adjustment in camera for video makes a massive difference and I wish more reviewers had pointed this out before declaring the 'normal' video modes DOA, gotta love those f-----ing influencers. But also I don't know about you guys but I guessed the 8k as the best quality on the blind tests. It would be interesting to run some tests in the video modes you personally are interested in with the clarity adjustment set to optimal against the better video modes. There really doesn't seem to be much in it and the adjustability of the files seems very solid.

Upvote 0