Canon EOS R5 records 4 hours of 4KHQ 30p to an external recorder, with a couple of simple tweaks

Jul 16, 2012
Well, if this is the issue (and I'm not leaving out the possibility that the Digic processor could overheat too, just not as fast--see the thread on the disassembly), AND Canon wrote their firmware intelligently, then swapping cards should IMMEDIATELY reset the overheat "flag" in the camera. Has ANYONE tried this? (I own no CFE cards, so cannot.)

Ive taken out the card and cooled it, switched to the SD with it out for 4k 60/8k etc, nothing seems to directly impact the available shooting time in a big way. Either something else is still cooling down that cant be reached, or some kind of mandatory cooldown is involved, either by design or by accident.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Ive taken out the card and cooled it, switched to the SD with it out for 4k 60/8k etc, nothing seems to directly impact the available shooting time in a big way. Either something else is still cooling down that cant be reached, or some kind of mandatory cooldown is involved, either by design or by accident.

That doesn't sound good.

However, to be absolutely sure, we'd need someone to be recording to one or the other (not both) and then swap that card for the identical type card. If I understood you correctly (and maybe I didn't) you had an SD card in there the whole time and fell back on it, and maybe it's heating up too.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
That doesn't sound good.

However, to be absolutely sure, we'd need someone to be recording to one or the other (not both) and then swap that card for the identical type card. If I understood you correctly (and maybe I didn't) you had an SD card in there the whole time and fell back on it, and maybe it's heating up too.

SD card was out, and the stated available time was identical. I also tried fanning the cards and the slot, no change in time and when I tested it it was very close to the claimed time. I was just fiddling rather than completely systematic testing so it is possible Ive got something wrong of course.

Someone else can try further, I feel pretty confident its not about the cards alone and the only time Im seeing overheating in practise is testing so Id rather play safe for now.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
[QUOTE="Otara, post: 854774, member: 70343"

Someone else can try further, I feel pretty confident its not about the cards alone and the only time Im seeing overheating in practise is testing so Id rather play safe for now.
[/QUOTE]
Which may imply firmware is an issue too (maybe with mandatory cooldown times after some limit is exceeded).

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Can't the CFE cards be made so they don't overheat when being used within spec???

Since the CFE cards all seem to have built in thermal protection I'd say the answer is no using current technology. This is true for all electronic circuitry. The interface standard doesn't spec this, it's just a real world limitation that product designers/manufacturers must deal with. About all the chip makers can do is slow it down to generate less heat.

It's up to the device using them to take extraordinary measures to mitigate the thermal issues like we see with dedicated video cameras, computers, GPUs, and the like. This is why the R5 can sustain the lower speed video options. The card's thermal behavior can vary by brand, size, and chip(s) so the camera has to adapt to the thermal behavior on the fly.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Since the CFE cards all seem to have built in thermal protection I'd say the answer is no using current technology. This is true for all electronic circuitry. The interface standard doesn't spec this, it's just a real world limitation that product designers/manufacturers must deal with. About all the chip makers can do is slow it down to generate less heat.

It's up to the device using them to take extraordinary measures to mitigate the thermal issues like we see with dedicated video cameras, computers, GPUs, and the like. This is why the R5 can sustain the lower speed video options. The card's thermal behavior can vary by brand, size, and chip(s) so the camera has to adapt to the thermal behavior on the fly.

Sigh...
Thanks for your insights!

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I think at best this solves one problem but creates another. Because while you now might be able to record longer video you've sacrificed the versatility of the camera. With the additional attachments it would be much more difficult to use it for photography. If you know you'll only need it for one or the other then it's fine, but switching back and forth between the two no longer becomes very practical. One of the big advantages of hybrid cameras is being able to quickly and easily switch between photo and video. Can't do that with a recorder attached (and all that comes with having one)

Still, it is a solution of sorts to the overheating problem.
In my mind, if you are filming for more than 30 min at a time, it is likely for weddings, interviews, etc where the camera would remain motionless and on a tripod.

In these instances I would want the the benefits of an external monitor - it also looks more professional to the paying customer!

Upvote 0
In my mind, if you are filming for more than 30 min at a time, it is likely for weddings, interviews, etc where the camera would remain motionless and on a tripod.

In these instances I would want the the benefits of an external monitor - it also looks more professional to the paying customer!

Poser

• Haha
Upvote 0

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
another youtuber also run another interesting test

in his test
record internally give the same result as canon spesified
also there is some interesting thing in his test
1. when record externally , sd card in, lcd is on, its overheat much faster (15 min).
2. when record externally , card in, lcd is off, camera is overheat immediately after turning lcd on (after 2 hours of recording)
3. when record externally ,no card, lcd is off, it runs without overheat
4. when record externally, no card , lcd is on, its capped to 40 min .

it maybe similar case with fuji XT4 overheat in 4K 60p . it shoot much longer when the lcd is turned off .
it also gives overheat warning just immediately after lcd is turned back on.

need 1 more test which is record internally with lcd off to confirm this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
another youtuber also run another interesting test

in his test
record internally give the same result as canon spesified
also there is some interesting thing in his test
1. when record externally , sd card in, lcd is on, its overheat much faster (15 min).
2. when record externally , card in, lcd is off, camera is overheat immediately after turning lcd on (after 2 hours of recording)
3. when record externally ,no card, lcd is off, it runs without overheat
4. when record externally, no card , lcd is on, its capped to 40 min .

it maybe similar case with fuji XT4 overheat in 4K 60p . it shoot much longer when the lcd is turned off .
it also gives overheat warning just immediately after lcd is turned back on.

need 1 more test which is record internally with lcd off to confirm this.

Thanks for saving up the cost of watching the video.
So according to what's repported, to me it looks like a nice software limitation that checks the previously recorded files and their duration.

Did any of the reviewver tried swapping with empty CFE cards / SD cards once overheated ?
Maybe having a bunch of empty CFE cards is a solution to trick the camera?

What about :
rebooting the R5 + swapping to an empty card.

If someone tries that please update me.

Upvote 0
Yep, I remember seeing it in the official canon r5 manual. But it is no longer there.

I just had some back and forth arguing with some nut on another article's thread where he didn't believe us that the manual had mentioned overheating operation times. (Not even going to bother continuing replying with that cat) Well, that information is still there. The very last 2 bullets on page 902. It doesn't cover all modes, but 8K and 4K60.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I really do think the thermal protection is a lot like the exposure triangle where each system impacts the other system. It is appears the cards are the weak link in the "Thermal QUAD".

My Made Up Thermal QUAD:
  1. Cfexpress/SD card
  2. Ram
  3. Processor
  4. Sensor
The cameras health status protocol is monitoring all of these systems for things like:
  • Availability -
    • Are there cards to write to?
    • Is there space on the cards?
    • Is there a flash attached.
    • Is wifi on?
    • etc...
  • Power levels -
    • What is the current voltage of the Battery
    • Does the attached flash have power to fire
    • etc..
  • Heat -
    • How hot are the cards?
    • How hot is the Ram?
    • How hot is the Processor?
    • How hot is the Sensor?
If the cards are the weak link in the QUAD even just having them in the camera close to the Ram and the Processor is enough to put the card in stage 1 of it's thermal warning. When you combine it with other systems hitting their sustained limits the Camera triggers self protection and powers off.

I am leary of the work around of removing the cards for 2 reasons. One I think there is a chance it will have a negative long terms impact on the camera. Two I think Canon will fix this work around and the internet will once again lose its collective mind.
Perhaps could use an external CF express recorder using the hdmi cable but the micro size is fragile and who wants cables if you can avoid them ?
Can the hot shoe connection be used for data transfer?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Perhaps could use an external CF express recorder using the hdmi cable but the micro size is fragile and who wants cables if you can avoid them ?

I know it could on the M6 II because of the detachable viewfinder. I'd look for extra contacts in it on the R5 as compared with other cameras.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
If you really want to use the HDMI or USB C connectors a lot then just plug in the cable holder that comes with the R5. I've done that and it's makes the cable connection quite safe & secure for both of those cables. It's easy to put on & off if you leave your cables in the cable holder and just screw/unscrew it from the side of the camera.

Upvote 0