Gordan Laing Review: The Canon EOS R5 for photography

Jan 29, 2011
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I don't understand this exchange at all. Sarcasm? Humor? I pointed out the sensors are the same size, you listed sensor size as an advantage the R5 has over the 5D IV, your reply was to capitalize (shout) size. What gives?

There was some sort of discussion about "size" being used sloppily to mean resolution rather than physical size of the sensor, somewhere else, a few days ago and I don't remember who was correcting whom. When I first responded I thought you had corrected him, and now you had made the same mistake you had admonished him for. I then realized I couldn't remember who was involved in that, at all. (There has been a LOT going on here for the last two weeks!)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
So I don't understand why you list that as a positive of the R5 over the 5D IV.....

But more to the point, is there anything that you prefer in the 5D IV, that was really the heart of the original question, being as how you have listed what you prefer in the R5 over the 5D IV.

R5 sight unseen possibly the ergo/construction. I doubt it because I don’t have a problem with the R, but I could prefer the feel of the 5D4.

Otherwise, I foresee nothing.

I will continue shooting the 5D4 as well though.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
There was some sort of discussion about "size" being used sloppily to mean resolution rather than physical size of the sensor, somewhere else, a few days ago and I don't remember who was correcting whom. When I first responded I thought you had corrected him, and now you had made the same mistake you had admonished him for. I then realized I couldn't remember who was involved in that, at all. (There has been a LOT going on here for the last two weeks!)

I was the one corrected but can’t remember who was correcting thus my grin and acknowledgement that I’d screwed it up AGAIN.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I might be getting senile but by the time I confuse size and resolution I hope my wife will have taken the batteries out of my keyboard! ;) I wasn't involved in that previous exchange.

I do like it when people are precise as it certainly cuts through a lot of confusion, but I also appreciate there are a lot of people here for whom English is not their first language, including a lot of Americans!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I might be getting senile but by the time I confuse size and resolution I hope my wife will have taken the batteries out of my keyboard! ;) I wasn't involved in that previous exchange.

I do like it when people are precise as it certainly cuts through a lot of confusion, but I also appreciate there are a lot of people here for whom English is not their first language, including a lot of Americans!

LOL to the latter.

Many, many many years ago I saw a clip of some Canadian comedian saying he could understand US frustration with people coming over the southern border unable to speak the language. And he just let that lie there, and I had to laugh.

I tend to understand the frustration with lack of preciseness, especially when it really does correspond to sloppy thinking. (And remember I'm the one with the peeve about people saying "standard time" all year round...)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
LOL to the latter.

Many, many many years ago I saw a clip of some Canadian comedian saying he could understand US frustration with people coming over the southern border unable to speak the language. And he just let that lie there, and I had to laugh.

I tend to understand the frustration with lack of preciseness, especially when it really does correspond to sloppy thinking. (And remember I'm the one with the peeve about people saying "standard time" all year round...)
Coming from a marine background time is another thing I have been taught to be accurate about! Arriving at a port and running aground because you got your tide tables and time wrong......

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The hilarious part about all this is in the much discussed Armando 'production' scenario he was actually using an Atomos, the only mistake he made that impacted his ability to shoot 8k 100% reliably was he should have removed the CFexpress card, so where is the equal time and energetic correction?
there is no external 8K recording on R5 due to HDMI bandwidth limitations AFAIK..

Upvote 0