Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming soon, RAW light to be added? [CR2]

Paul Nordin

CR Pro
Jun 5, 2020
it's intentional...
Let me explain, they gave a bit of everything (taste platter) for those Canon users and once they taste it ... now please go buy the cine line.
think about it, those RF lens are huge investment... the users are locked in. they have no choice but to buy those RF cine's
it kind of looks like Canon is not interested with the hybrid (with more video use) market... it's either stills (1DX, R5) or pro video (Cine line).

I think what you are stating here is paranoia and not based on real-world testing. I have been working with the R5for 2 weeks now, and have shot several projects with it. I shoot a lot of narrative feature work and will absolutely use the R5 as a B-Cam or C-Cam. Having that little camera on set and being able to basically pull it out of my back pocket and grab 8k RAW b-roll that can cut in with Red or Arri A-Cam footage is a huge benefit to me. I don't need to use it to shoot talking head docs or youtube videos...thats ridiculous. Yes, the R5 has less DR than the A-Cams, but being able to take steps to mitigate those differences with lighting/framing care is part of why I get paid. Getting the high quality 8k Raw and 4k HQ on a small mirrorless that can also shoot with my A-Cam primes with a PL adapter is simply freeing. On top of that, I can take the R5 with the A-Cam lenses on location scouts and capture pre-production stills with the director of a quality that extremely accurately show what we need to add/change in the frame on the day of.

When you shoot 5minutes of 8k RAW and eject the CFexpress card, and its too hot to hold, it becomes quite obvious that limits are not marketing ploys to sell more cinema cams. For those of us working in serious cinema, its crazy to even consider using the R5 or any of the other hybrids as an A-Cam. There is far too much at stake cost and time wise for each setup. Cinema cams have their target use. I'm very excited though, to be able to supplement them with the R5, which opens up possibilities.

Reactions: 21 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I think what you are stating here is paranoia and not based on real-world testing. I have been working with the R5for 2 weeks now, and have shot several projects with it. I shoot a lot of narrative feature work and will absolutely use the R5 as a B-Cam or C-Cam. Having that little camera on set and being able to basically pull it out of my back pocket and grab 8k RAW b-roll that can cut in with Red or Arri A-Cam footage is a huge benefit to me. I don't need to use it to shoot talking head docs or youtube videos...thats ridiculous. Yes, the R5 has less DR than the A-Cams, but being able to take steps to mitigate those differences with lighting/framing care is part of why I get paid. Getting the high quality 8k Raw and 4k HQ on a small mirrorless that can also shoot with my A-Cam primes with a PL adapter is simply freeing. On top of that, I can take the R5 with the A-Cam lenses on location scouts and capture pre-production stills with the director of a quality that extremely accurately show what we need to add/change in the frame on the day of.

When you shoot 5minutes of 8k RAW and eject the CFexpress card, and its too hot to hold, it becomes quite obvious that limits are not marketing ploys to sell more cinema cams. For those of us working in serious cinema, its crazy to even consider using the R5 or any of the other hybrids as an A-Cam. There is far too much at stake cost and time wise for each setup. Cinema cams have their target use. I'm very excited though, to be able to supplement them with the R5, which opens up possibilities.

That was a good read right there.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
:rolleyes:

Jared Polin said it so it must be so. You make my point for me.
He was not the only one that said it, but considering we are here on the rumour site, commenting rumours a one that came from one of the bigger review channels should be noted, also I think he was quoting a canon ambassador, have to find it out it was in one of the video he made. Also I think it was mentioned here also.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What is Mraw? Is that for video or photo?

Mraw is a smaller dimensioned raw file. So instead for 45mp it would be 30mp.

I am assuming Mraw is the "Medium size RAW" format, that is uncompressed but saved in a reduced resolution (pixels).

Do you not like the quality of the compressed RAW format option? I have been quite impressed with it and it is a lot smaller file size. I think I get a better image with less loss of detail in that format than a reduced pixel size RAW. (I am just starting to shoot with this format since my other camera was 7Dii and did not have it.)

Remember, just because it is uncompressed does not mean that Mraw does not lose information. It has to get rid of and/or combine pixels somehow to get to a smaller resolution.

Kinda, but sadly Mraw was compressed with less dynamic range. The 5DSr had it but two shots of the same scene looked different and had different dynamic range between the Full raw and Mraw.

Craw doesn't address the image size in pixel dimensions and is still compressed and still ahs less dynamic range.

Why Canon doesn't offer something that pixel bins every other pixel to reduce the size but isn't compressed is beyond me.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
He was not the only one that said it, but considering we are here on the rumour site, commenting rumours a one that came from one of the bigger review channels should be noted, also I think he was quoting a canon ambassador, have to find it out it was in one of the video he made. Also I think it was mentioned here also.

Actually no. What I have read since launch is a whole lot of people getting really really upset when the RUMORS didn't turn out to be the FACTS.

That's what I see.

At my age I would have hoped to have learned a lot more than I have, but one thing that I did learn was to believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see until you get whatever it is in your own hot little hands and witness it for yourself.

But that's me.

I also learned that if it moves you should salute it and if it doesn't move you should paint it, but that's a Navy story for another time.

I feel slighted that my R5 pre-order doesn't come with a 100-500L kit lens at no extra charge. Is there a thread for that?

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0
you going to be fine with a 1.9x crop factor (or whatever it is?)
Well, I'll put it to you this way

The best DP I know shoots on a C300 mii with EF glass. So effectively with thex1.7 crop for 4k raw plus the rf full frame glass, youd end up with a similar focal length to what he uses.

Most shots in commercial settings are closeups of the subject to make it a bit more abstract or focus on the eyes/action, for which the extra reach would be welcome.

I know you'll want your wide shots too, but the Ef-s glass is an option for the wide shot.

I'm all for more options

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

Google translate:
Schermafbeelding 2020-08-11 om 17.33.28.png

Assuming google translate is correct, it doesn't make any hard promises.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Actually no. What I have read since launch is a whole lot of people getting really really upset when the RUMORS didn't turn out to be the FACTS.

That's what I see.

At my age I would have hoped to have learned a lot more than I have, but one thing that I did learn was to believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see until you get whatever it is in your own hot little hands and witness it for yourself.

But that's me.

I also learned that if it moves you should salute it and if it doesn't move you should paint it, but that's a Navy story for another time.

I feel slighted that my R5 pre-order doesn't come with a 100-500L kit lens at no extra charge. Is there a thread for that?
man you have a problem.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Funny, the biggest “bugs” on the list are all artificial: overheat warning, crippled dynamic range due to C-Log with max DR of 12 stops, recording limits, no 8K out... even though HDMI 2.0 supports 8K @30p, etc...
Well, HDMI 2.0 only supports 8K30P 8-bit, 4:2:0, no HDR, and that's a huge downgrade from 8K 12 bit 4:2:2. HDMI 2.0 only supports 8K UHD ( 7680 x 4320 ) and not 8K DCI (8192 x 4320). Unless there's a HDMI 2.1 in the R5 now enabled in a future firmware update (or possible with a future hardware upgrade) there won't be 8K or 4K120P available for external recording.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

sobrien

CR Pro
Apr 26, 2020

I’ve seen a blog (not by JP) outlining the weirdness of the 1080 120fps situation with the R5. Apparently it was mentioned in Canon documentation as an included spec at one stage but subsequently and somewhat mysteriously disappeared. More in the line of conspiracy than rumour. Either way it is an odd omission and one that would be great to see rectified.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

And how many damn fools have tried to claim precisely that they are marketing ploys, just on this thread? Some people are so full of it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0