Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming soon, RAW light to be added? [CR2]

Feb 13, 2018
The readings track closely to the flir imagery from a couple days ago. There will be dozens of videos on YouTube and articles over the next few days.
Silly rabbit ... looks like you backed the wrong horse:

(1) I'm not backing any horse. I'm trying to explain to a (possibly brainwashed) person why the things likely are the way they are.
(2) If you think that any company has 10x margin in their competitive product, you lack common sense; especially if you are talking about the company that just released the arguably best stills camera and topped it of with some 8K video
(3) Unsoliceted tip for life: don't cite social media in a tech talk if they don't refer to sound evidence; you could as well cite the president of the united states

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
THE R5 DOES NOT OVERHEAT - FEATURE LOCKOUT IS DELIBERATE

It’s official... the high quality modes are locked out due to a firmware cripple... The R5 does not overheat at all. It a deliberate cripple by Canon to protect their cinema line... nothing more.

Here is a detailed test using temperature readings stored as metadata in the EXIF of the jpeg stills. An intervalometer was used to automatically take a stills image every 5 minutes to plot the internal camera temperature while idle until the automatic feature lockout activated. The finding showed a steady constant temperature of 46c. No raise in temperature precipitated the activation of the lockout.

Canon you are officially busted!!!

Hmm (and without actually viewing EOSHD because I refuse to give them clicks), taking stills doesn't seem to make much of a difference to high end video recording times. Not sure how 1 shot/5 minutes pushes the thermal generation. When he comes up with articulate solutions rather than problems, then I might be more interested. Even if Canon is protecting the new Cine R range, why is that not an appropriate market segmentation tool? Canon has released specs and stated its limitations. Buy it (and I did) or don't. New firmware will be appreciated of course but should not be expected to be 2x or more for the recording times.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
(1) eoshd is a drama queen ;)
(2) interesting
(3) unfortunately pointless unless they can match their findings with a 3D thermal CFD model of the camera and know exactly where the thermal sensor is (it is usually not in the hot spot)
Exactly. This is so pathetic how many non engineers who know absolutely jack about electronics or thermodynamics think they are know it alls the second their youtube talking heads tell them to start barking. Many of the youtube "reviewers" could not write a decent test procedure to save their lives. Familiarity with a field doesn't make you an engineer, just like having angry preconceived notions doesn't make a valid fact. I see no rigor presented with all this drama. I see no careful logic, and all for what? To get clicks and feel important for the youtubers, and to feel superior for their followers and whiners who no matter what, will never shut up and go buy the competition if Canon is so awful. What a sad way to be. How can these people live in this victim frame of mind? Go buy something you love and make great art!

I'm know I'm going to enjoy being out with the R5 away from the internet for a few. I enjoyed Canon Rumors for a time as a way to be informed on goings on, but it really seems half full of angry people who don't actually make any content but sit around raging about gear they don't own, using second hand information and irrational emotional thinking. Over it for now...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
THE R5 DOES NOT OVERHEAT - FEATURE LOCKOUT IS DELIBERATE

It’s official... the high quality modes are locked out due to a firmware cripple... The R5 does not overheat at all. It a deliberate cripple by Canon to protect their cinema line... nothing more.

Here is a detailed test using temperature readings stored as metadata in the EXIF of the jpeg stills. An intervalometer was used to automatically take a stills image every 5 minutes to plot the internal camera temperature while idle until the automatic feature lockout activated. The finding showed a steady constant temperature of 46c. No raise in temperature precipitated the activation of the lockout.

Canon you are officially busted!!!

:rolleyes:

I'll wait for conspiracies to be confirmed by experts who don't live to hear the sound of their own hysterics..

The ax that guy is grinding is so big Paul Bunyan can't lift it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Oh, you can take pictures with it.

You just can't take pictures without simultaneously hearing the din of people kvetching about the video modes (either unhappy that they're there, or that they don't work well enough).;

Could someone help me? I can't find the "stills mode" button.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
what does Increased record time limits (but don’t expect a huge boost), means?
they should fix to an appropriate state. I'm not expecting hours of continuous recording but decent enough. I'm only interested with 4kHQ.
the 4KHQ record times now is inconsistent and unpredictable... simply useless.
They arent unpredictable at all. I get the same exact time. Maybe use a thermometer.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
(1) I'm not backing any horse. I'm trying to explain to a (possibly brainwashed) person why the things likely are the way they are.
(2) If you think that any company has 10x margin in their competitive product, you lack common sense; especially if you are talking about the company that just released the arguably best stills camera and topped it of with some 8K video
(3) Unsoliceted tip for life: don't cite social media in a tech talk if they don't refer to sound evidence; you could as well cite the president of the united states
Hmm (and without actually viewing EOSHD because I refuse to give them clicks), taking stills doesn't seem to make much of a difference to high end video recording times. Not sure how 1 shot/5 minutes pushes the thermal generation. When he comes up with articulate solutions rather than problems, then I might be more interested. Even if Canon is protecting the new Cine R range, why is that not an appropriate market segmentation tool? Canon has released specs and stated its limitations. Buy it (and I did) or don't. New firmware will be appreciated of course but should not be expected to be 2x or more for the recording times.
Here’s a thought: why not limit the camera with a real thermal limit? I’m sure none would have issue with that. But crippling to protect their cinema line is just a pos move. And I say that as an owner of Canon cinema cameras. Moves like this will see canon going out of business. When the R5 was released it was a “number one” seller on BH websites... after the cripple debacle it’s since been reduced to just “top seller” status. Do knew what took its place? The Sony A7S3. There are already used models of the R5 in stock. This is harming Canon.
Now I understand that stills shooter might not care much about video. But don’t you want a camera that can actually perform without artificial limits? This position really shouldn’t need defending. I didn’t like it when apple was purposely decreasing battery life on their older phones... this is no different. It’s an artificial limit. Sold like it’s to protect the camera, even though in truth, that is a lie.

Are so many here actually supporting being deceived?

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Here’s a thought: why not limit the camera with a real thermal limit? I’m sure none would have issue with that. But crippling to protect their cinema line is just a pos move. And I say that as an owner of Canon cinema cameras. Moves like this will see canon going out of business. When the R5 was released it was a “number one” seller on BH websites... after the cripple debacle it’s since been reduced to just “top seller” status. Do knew what took its place? The Sony A7S3. There are already used models of the R5 in stock. This is harming Canon.
Now I understand that stills shooter might not care much about video. But don’t you want a camera that can actually perform without artificial limits? This position really shouldn’t need defending. I didn’t like it when apple was purposely decreasing battery life on their older phones... this is no different. It’s an artificial limit. Sold like it’s to protect the camera, even though in truth, that is a lie.

It does have a thermal limit. Its 104 F. Period.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
It does have a thermal limit. Its 104 F. Period.
All the other crap you wrote is BS. I measured the camera with a Fluke IR imaging device and the device an cards can reach temps above 130 F. Real temps measured with test equipment. NOT icon times and stopwatch. Temperature of the camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
All the other crap you wrote is BS. I measured the camera with a Fluke IR imaging device and the device an cards can reach temps above 130 F. Real temps measured with test equipment. NOT icon times and stopwatch. Temperature of the camera. The warning comes on just prior to the operating limit of 104 F.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

Aside from the drama queen over at EOS HD ranting conspiracy theories, no one has suggested or proven anyone is being deceived about anything. If you put your eggs in that hysteria basket bully for you.

If Sony's handy-cam is currently outselling the R5 at B&H, so what? That could change tomorrow and then back again two days later. Did B&H release a memo describing the specifics of the change in sales status of these two items, or do you just "know"?... As far as I know there is no such thing as a "cripple debacle" and never in my life has something being the number one seller or top seller at B&H or anywhere else influenced my buying decision. YMMV.

If the Sony is what you want, buy it. It's a mediocre stills camera that I find completely uninteresting. The R5 is a stellar stills camera - like it was designed to be - unless you listen to the ax-grinder over at brand-x and then you get " So in my opinion the EOS R5 is probably unsuitable as a stills camera ...."

Show me where these used Canon R5s are being sold please - link me - B&H shows zero as of right now and when I Googled "Used R5s" the search came back as YGTBFKM...

I'd love to pick up a "used R5" while I wait for my preorder to be filled.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0