Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming in the next 24 hours

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Update 2: The firmware coming shortly looks to be more about bug fixes than feature additions. Cinema RAW Light and CLog-2 and CLog-3 are not going to be in this update, but they are coming soon.
Perhaps the bugs have to be addressed before adding features.
Sorry folks, but this is the way things go sometimes.
Update: A source that is testing the new firmware has warned me not to expect too much of a difference in thermal performance with the new firmware. I guess we’ll know for sure quite soon.
The much talked about firmware update for the Canon EOS R5 appears to be coming tonight, I say “in the next 24 hours” because firmware updates don’t always roll out to all of the Canon sites globally.
I have been told that the firmware update will come at 3 AM CEST (Central European Summer Time) Thursday, August 27, 2020.
That would be today at 9 PM EDT and 6 PM PDT in North America.
I have...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Now if I only had a camera to update...

Anyone know if the 100-500L is coming tomorrow as well.

Hey, look at it this way, you won't have to go through the pain of dealing with the old, crappy completely useless camera when you finally do get yours (/sarcasm), unless you insist on using it before updating the firmware.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Hard to guess how that turns out. I'd bet the firmware will provide a bit of flexibility in recording, but I really struggle to see it eliminating concerns on overheating. I'd bet the best case scenario is a more responsive cool down period based on temperature in the camera (I.e. maybe an active cooling solution will be more effective).

I wouldn't be surprised if the update also changed behavior which allows users to bypass recording limits too - i.e. external recorder behavior or the battery door and tape trick. Either way, I'm sure the discussion on the issue is far from over.

I wonder if the firmware update will come with some commentary from Canon on why the limitations are in place when they have been relatively easy to bypass? For instance, I wonder if they'd note that higher internal temperature results in decreased video quality, or permanent damage to sensitive components?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Hard to guess how that turns out. I'd bet the firmware will provide a bit of flexibility in recording, but I really struggle to see it eliminating concerns on overheating. I'd bet the best case scenario is a more responsive cool down period based on temperature in the camera (I.e. maybe an active cooling solution will be more effective).

I wouldn't be surprised if the update also changed behavior which allows users to bypass recording limits too - i.e. external recorder behavior or the battery door and tape trick. Either way, I'm sure the discussion on the issue is far from over.

I wonder if the firmware update will come with some commentary from Canon on why the limitations are in place when they have been relatively easy to bypass? For instance, I wonder if they'd note that higher internal temperature results in decreased video quality, or permanent damage to sensitive components?
I use my R5 literally every day for anywhere from 5 - 8 hours straight to a Atomos Ninja V. Most days 8/hrs. If they switch off the external recording option... or cripple it, then my R5 gets promptly returned. I’m not even close to joking.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0