Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming in the next 24 hours

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
The YouTuber's are eagerly awaiting so they can jump for joy or sharpen their pitchforks.
Joy doesn't generate many clicks..... I see the videos now:

Chelsea Northrup's husband on: "R5 firmware, does it finally make the totally unusable 4K usable?"
Mr EOSBetaMaxHD: "how new Canon R5 firmware proves R5 heat limit was fake and why I should win the nobel peace prize for forcing Canon's hand single-handedly"
Camera Conspiracies: "New Canon R5 firmware found to be cause of Covid 17"
Gerald Mundane: "Mediocre firmware, great marketing"

I think it might be time to take a day off Twitter tomorrow ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Why would you postpone your sales and risk ppl cancelling their pre-orders, if users can easily apply the firmware update themselves?
As the old adage goes, prevention is better than cure. The less customers that have the individual experience of overheating and complaints about recovery times, the better.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This is what I wrote a while ago, where my resource at Canon told me a firmware would be available around the same day the R6 would be ready to ship out. You cats didn't believe me. Who's laughing now? (like my new avatar? :) )

I remember it. Thank you. Do you know if the source has any info on the R6?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Realistic hopes: more authentic cool down and heating times. Potentially less demanding modes that don't involve major processing. Better optimization for use with CFExpress cards.

Let's all be totally honest and realistic here, we can record 4KHQ unlimited with an external recorder. If we could get the camera to more accurately record and cool down in this mode and the 4K60/4K120, you have an absolutely unreal tool in your bag. The cool down times HAVE to be improved for the video shooters. The "heat up" times need to be more accurately reflected because shooting photos shouldn't eventually LOCK us out of these video modes.

As a photographer, we need to make some changes to the controls of the IBIS system. Why do I get more options for IBIS when I'm using an adapted lens from 1976 and then I only have the option to turn it on/off when I put on my RF lens? Haha I really want to see that added. I want the IBIS and IS to operate like it does on my DSLRs.

Upvote 0
Mr EOSBetaMaxHD: "how new Canon R5 firmware proves R5 heat limit was fake and why I should win the nobel peace prize for forcing Canon's hand single-handedly"

LOLx3

and one more for BetaMaxHD, that guy has gone particularly mad.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”

― Oscar Wilde
I miss PBD avatar:(

I always looked for Garfield and Pooky in threads because I was likely about to learn something even if I did not always agree with what I was learning.

"Progress is impossible without change; and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything."

--- George Bernard Shaw

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
LOLx3

and one more for BetaMaxHD, that guy has gone particularly mad.
At this point, most rational human beings would just rename their mediocre blog, and move on. But while there are Philip Bloom's cats to kill and the opportunity to ride a white knight to the UK small claim's court to defend the rights of under-privileged film-makers, the man with the chip on his shoulder is ready for the fight. Apparently the rallying call goes something like this:

"If it falls to me to start a fight to cut out the cancer of bent and twisted camera cripple hammers in our country with the simple sword of truth, a refrigerator and the trusty shield of British fair play, so be it. I am ready for the fight. The fight against overheating and those who put artificial limits in place to prevent it. My fight begins 10 years ago. Thank you and good afternoon."

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
"If it falls to me to start a fight to cut out the cancer of bent and twisted camera cripple hammers in our country with the simple sword of truth, a refrigerator and the trusty shield of British fair play, so be it. I am ready for the fight. The fight against overheating and those who put artificial limits in place to prevent it. My fight begins 10 years ago. Thank you and good afternoon."

I think I just threw-up a little :LOL: It helps if you have
playing in the background.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
If Canon just fixes the firmware, so that it does not allow the stupid hacks anymore .... and does not eventually address the recording / cooldown limits, you don't what to see the unleashed hell and shitstorm, which is going to follow :)
the hacks could be potentially harmful to the camera. i still think the protections are there for a reason, they are just implemented in a shitty way.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
the hacks could be potentially harmful to the camera. i still think the protections are there for a reason, they are just implemented in a shitty way.

I could see the firmware update including things that will detect some of the hacks having happened...so that Canon knows to void your warranty.

Upvote 0
Joy doesn't generate many clicks..... I see the videos now:

Chelsea Northrup's husband on: "R5 firmware, does it finally make the totally unusable 4K usable?"

I think it might be time to take a day off Twitter tomorrow ;-)
and my favorite:

"I'm Cancelling my Sony pre-order and Re-Ording my Previously Cancelled R5"

and after the firmware announcement reveals that there will still be overheating issues:

"I'm Cancelling my R5 order and Re-Ording my Previously Cancelled Sony Pre-Order that I ordered after Cancelling my R5 Pre-order - How many times was I wrong????"

*Thumbnail: hands over both cheeks with mouth wide open and flames everywhere and melted cameras and ?marks over their head*

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Hey, look at it this way, you won't have to go through the pain of dealing with the old, crappy completely useless camera when you finally do get yours (/sarcasm), unless you insist on using it before updating the firmware.
I disagree.
I have had mine for almost a month now and very happy with it.
Like many gears out there, it takes time to learn all the little things that come with it.
Up to now, I am still at configuring buttons layout and custom functions, and testing each possible variation. Went through testing IBIS, different quality using different crops, using HDMI, balancing gimbal, choice of lenses for different scenario, right time to use different frame rate, post pro in Premiere Pro, dynamic posing with strobe, and so on. It is my first mirrorless and first small camera, and I really have to learn and re-learn many things coming from a DSLR.
There is really a lot to learn. I am glad I have it now when I can't shoot much. Gives me enough time to learn.

"Useless"? Sarcasm indeed. It is the most advanced camera I have ever used and I do own a 1DX II.
Imagine having a 50mm 1.4 and being able to use it to get 4K 50mm, 85 mm and 135 mm at 1.4 with only one lens just by going into the menu without shooting 8K. You have the same minimum focusing distance at all 3 crops, very similar level of IBIS, same lens weight (if you put it sometime overhead for table top), (not to repeat) without taking 3 or 4 lenses with you. I realize that it sounds BS for many pixel guru out there, but I tested them against my need, my mind accepted the results and it gives me freedom (but that is me). Gone are the days when I have to had with me a 100mm macro, 50mm, 85mm, and 135mm primes so that I could shoot people cooking diner for an event. I don't bring tripod, no monopod, no gimbal, just a tiny little camera with a tiny little lens. I handhold it even for a quick table top with the cook. Why would I complain? I let you do that part, you are doing great. Canon is mad, and giving me more.
If they give Clog-2 on that cinema raw lite, then I will do my dance tonight.
My only two concerns with this camera are the 4K 120; I hope they will increase it a bit (10min longer will be fantastic even with a lesser quality/bit rate). Then comes the micro HDMI. I don't think they have a way to fix the damn HDMI. It has caused me so much grief lately. Cannot find a good way to use it with Ninja V and rotated flippy screen. It gets in the way of the screen. There are no 270-degree 4K 60 micro HDMI out there. I can find only 90.
Anyway, If I can upgrade tonight, I will let you know. Just bear in mind that I am a happy owner and won't complain. There is a chance that I won't be able to do it tonight. Somehow I cannot use the USB; I might have a bad cable or bad port on the R5. I might have to switch to wireless, but my computer doesn't have one either. Let's see if I can copy it to an SD card and upgrade from there.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I use my R5 literally every day for anywhere from 5 - 8 hours straight to a Atomos Ninja V. Most days 8/hrs. If they switch off the external recording option... or cripple it, then my R5 gets promptly returned. I’m not even close to joking.
I might follow your footsteps. The Ninja Vee is the way. Premiere Pro is very happy with it.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I could see the firmware update including things that will detect some of the hacks having happened...so that Canon knows to void your warranty.
Unfortunately the fact (am nervous about that word for some reason) that the hack clears NVRAM it will be hard for Canon to know for sure. This is the one thing that actually upsets me with what is going on. If the camera gets a reputations for being easy to hack to extend the record limits to levels that are simply unsafe for the hardware what will that do to the value of these cameras in 3 years?

Could be great if the hardware can handle it, could be a disaster if cameras start burning up.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I disagree.
I have had mine for almost a month now and very happy with it.
Like many gears out there, it takes time to learn all the little things that come with it.
Up to now, I am still at configuring buttons layout and custom functions, and testing each possible variation. Went through testing IBIS, different quality using different crops, using HDMI, balancing gimbal, choice of lenses for different scenario, right time to use different frame rate, post pro in Premiere Pro, dynamic posing with strobe, and so on. It is my first mirrorless and first small camera, and I really have to learn and re-learn many things coming from a DSLR.
There is really a lot to learn. I am glad I have it now when I can't shoot much. Gives me enough time to learn.

"Useless"? Sarcasm indeed. It is the most advanced camera I have ever used and I do own a 1DX II.
Imagine having a 50mm 1.4 and being able to use it to get 4K 50mm, 85 mm and 135 mm at 1.4 with only one lens just by going into the menu without shooting 8K. You have the same minimum focusing distance at all 3 crops, very similar level of IBIS, same lens weight (if you put it sometime overhead for table top), (not to repeat) without taking 3 or 4 lenses with you. I realize that it sounds BS for many pixel guru out there, but I tested them against my need, my mind accepted the results and it gives me freedom (but that is me). Gone are the days when I have to had with me a 100mm macro, 50mm, 85mm, and 135mm primes so that I could shoot people cooking diner for an event. I don't bring tripod, no monopod, no gimbal, just a tiny little camera with a tiny little lens. I handhold it even for a quick table top with the cook. Why would I complain? I let you do that part, you are doing great. Canon is mad, and giving me more.
If they give Clog-2 on that cinema raw lite, then I will do my dance tonight.
My only two concerns with this camera are the 4K 120; I hope they will increase it a bit (10min longer will be fantastic even with a lesser quality/bit rate). Then comes the micro HDMI. I don't think they have a way to fix the damn HDMI. It has caused me so much grief lately. Cannot find a good way to use it with Ninja V and rotated flippy screen. It gets in the way of the screen. There are no 270-degree 4K 60 micro HDMI out there. I can find only 90.
Anyway, If I can upgrade tonight, I will let you know. Just bear in mind that I am a happy owner and won't complain. There is a chance that I won't be able to do it tonight. Somehow I cannot use the USB; I might have a bad cable or bad port on the R5. I might have to switch to wireless, but my computer doesn't have one either. Let's see if I can copy it to an SD card and upgrade from there.
@Besisika @SteveC from all accounts is a really happy owner and was just trying to soften the blow that @Bert63 has had to deal with while he waits for his R5. @Bert63 I think I would be certifiable if I was in your shoes.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Now if I only had a camera to update...

Anyone know if the 100-500L is coming tomorrow as well.
According to B&H, they are indicating that shipment of the 100-500mm starts tomorrow. They shipped my R5 the day it was released and so hopefully I'll get my 100-500 on Friday or Saturday. What else can I sell besides my other kidney?

Upvote 0