R5 instead of 1dx3?

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I’ll almost certainly end up with one of each but the R5 will replace one of the 1DX II’s before I get a 1DX III. But I see them as very different though complimentary tools.
“The Beauty and the Beast”, isn’t it?:)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Where did you leave Pookie ?
I'm sad !
He’ll be back, you can’t keep Garfield and Pookie apart for long. But in the meantime he had to have some fun after a little avatar borrowing issue. For those that don’t know the black figure Garfield seems to be ‘having some fun with’ is Baron Karza.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
That is the decision that I made. I trade in two 1DX Mk2 cameras for two R5s . I am sure that Canon will eventually release a mirrorless 1D camera, but honestly the R5 is so much better than my 1Dx Mk2 that I am going to find it challenging to spend over $6K on a camera body. Frankly, I would rather spend the difference in cost on better glass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
How many of you decided to buy the R5 and not 1dx3? I know I did. I wonder if there are others.... :cool:

Yea me. Already had decided to get 1DX3, but then covid cancelled all the sports so decided to wait. Month ago ordered R5 then, decided that's better for future than 1DX3. Will keep 1DX(1) as back-up. Hopefully R5 arrives this year.

Upvote 0
That's the decision I made. As a wildlife photographer, I considered upgrading my 1Dx II to a 1Dx III but I didn't see where I was getting that much more camera for the money. When the R5 was announced with animal eye focus and increased sensor resolution and a lower price, I placed my order. Now if it would only be shipped!

Upvote 0
Sadly my 1DX MK III spends most of the time in the bag and R5 sits behind the 600. Don't get me wrong, if I had to go out in dirt/mud/rain, I would use my 1 series but it is hard to argue with the AF and 45MP vs 20MP and a lot more time on focus point shifts instead of just tracking the subject.

Upvote 0
That's the decision I made. As a wildlife photographer, I considered upgrading my 1Dx II to a 1Dx III but I didn't see where I was getting that much more camera for the money. When the R5 was announced with animal eye focus and increased sensor resolution and a lower price, I placed my order. Now if it would only be shipped!
My decision to get the R5 was the same as amendegw's .... I will still have my 1DX Mark II for fast moving subjects (BIF's / Planes, etc.) The R5 for much of the rest that I shoot. As soon as I get the R5 my 5D Mark III is for sale. I should have placed my order on the original release date but I debated and analyzed the R5 purchase and did not place my order until 7/24 ... so I wait.

Upvote 0