Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C70

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I wonder whether that hot shoe type ridge / mount at the top of the camera is for the EVF or an Atomos style accessory. Would make it very flexible if you could just slide the EVF on and off when required.
You were hitting all the high points I noticed but no one else had yet brought up. Yes the back buttons look to be the peaking, zebra, etc... Cinema buttons. The hotshoe on top caught my eye, and someone else thought they could make out what appeared to be a hinge that may suggest an articulating screen. The hotshoe would accommodate a small microphone like a Shure or Rode with a 1/8 inch pin. Look below the "INPUT 1 and 2" spaces. There's a third below it that looks to say "MIC". So you get 2 mini XLRs with 48v Phantom power and some nice preamps plus you get 1/8 inch mic jack typical of MILCs and DSLRs. And given the top shape WITH that hotshoe there MIGHT just be an EVF already there. That's kinda what that looks like to me

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The 4KHQ is the best looking 4K I've ever seen out of a camera. I'm using it with the Ninja though so that's an additional expense and bulk. But it gives you virtually unlimited record times in HQ and also gives you a codec you can edit without proxies. Combined with the Ninja it is indeed a video beast.
Yeah if you're doing serious work for hire than I doubt you're showing up with naught but a little naked MILC. You probably have a cage or rig you're building it into or it's mounted to a video tripod. In either case I really have never had a problem using the Ninja V where it impeded my ability to use the camera in the same manner. Again, I'm not run-and-gun very much. but when I do, the EOS R does fine with the Ronin M and I can mount the Ninja to the top cross bar. Otherwise the Ninja is on a small rig arm attached to the tripod with the camera. And you hit the nail on the head about the codec factor, which is HUGE for me and I think gets overlooked too often. I can run smooth as silk playback on an 8 year old MacPro doing Multicam editing with 2 - 3 4K streams in Adobe. The native Canon codecs stutter and stammer and choke and I find myself having to re-encode. ProResHQ is just so much nicer to work with.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
How do you figure?
C300MkiiiR5
Sensor8.85MP45MP
4K Native8K Native
16:93:2
NDBuilt-inNA
Weather sealingNoneFull
Battery typeBP-A SeriesLP-E6N/H
Image stabilizationElectronicIBIS and electronic

I think this camera is most like the C300 Mkiii. The question is really... is this a better option than the Sony A7S3? Granted the DGO sensor is something special, but this is also only a APSC sensor compared to full frame. I would love to see some footage comparing the C300 Mk3 to the Sony A7S3 and R5... if we could get a Red Komodo 6K in there also that would be fantastic. I’d like to see the detail, dynamic range etc...

Yeah I dont understand how a compact, half priced, Super35 C300-3 is the R5 with active cooling....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

janmaly

EOS R5
Aug 11, 2020
How do you figure?
C300MkiiiR5
Sensor8.85MP45MP
4K Native8K Native
NDBuilt-inNA
Weather sealingNoneFull

I think this camera is most like the C300 Mkiii. The question is really... is this a better option than the Sony A7S3? Granted the DGO sensor is something special, but this is also only a APSC sensor compared to full frame. I would love to see some footage comparing the C300 Mk3 to the Sony A7S3 and R5... if we could get a Red Komodo 6K in there also that would be fantastic. I’d like to see the detail, dynamic range etc...

Just regarding the body shape, overall form factor seems to be much closer to R5 than C300. Ofcourse no the specs.

Upvote 0
The real question is, is that camera really better than the a7sIII with its 16 bit RAW output ?

This is a S35 sensor Cine Camera..this is Not a Photograph camera.

This is a Pro Body. It'll have 16stops DR where as R5 is 14 stops. About 12 usable with clog.

As for competition this is Komodo competition more than anything else. Built in ND filters komodo dont have.

DGO S35 sensor is amazing IQ.

This will use canons pro codec 10bit xavc intra.. this codec is NOT on the R5.

Big difference bt R5 and A7siii is Sony put Fx9 cine codec h264 xavc intra into the A7siii.

Canon only used h265 codec. Sony uses h265 to9 but offers pro codec for easy editing.

This will have pro xlr inputs.. has internal nDs and pro cine body. No overheating. No record limits and AF that woks. Dual puxel AF. Where red has no aF yet for rf glass. Let alone communication.

Takes years and millions of developing an AF system. Unless u steal it by hackng. Or reverse hack software. Takes years to develop. PDAF will take millions in development. Canon recently got hacked hopefully no sensitive AF info was stolen.

Upvote 0
How do you figure?
C300MkiiiR5
Sensor8.85MP45MP
4K Native8K Native
NDBuilt-inNA
Weather sealingNoneFull

DYNAMIC RANGE IS A BIG DEAL. We all know the R5 is lacking DR. Canon fanboys can act like its Not a big deal but it really is.

If you want that Pro Cine Video look you need that DR. The A7siii has over 15++ stops of dR in slog3.

The canon c300iii DR is even better its
are you happy with the video DR of your R5 so far ? It’s my only disapointment with the camera

GO. Basically the sensor does 2x simultaneous
readouts.. 1xfor highlights and 1x for shadows then combine. But the other bigger deal is S35 sensor vs FF sensor. Only the A7siii is a Ff sensor and its BSI.. it'll be low light king for next 5 yrs.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
From what I read there hasn't been a cinema cam with IBIS from Canon, and people are ok with that I guess?
The same could be said about Canon's stills cameras just a couple of months ago.

Not claiming anything about this particular rumored body, but if a camera has a hand grip, it would likely benefit from having IBIS too.

Upvote 0
But red has even higher DR.. so it really comes to needs. Red you get red raw.. s35. But lacking AF. $6k.

Eosc70. Great s35 dgo . Best DR close to Red. No Raw. Great AF for RF glass. No raw. Built in NDs. Built in xlr. $6k

While competition is priced at 6k and both are S35.
A7siii has a lil less DR but its close.nearly negligible to tell difference. 15+ stops to 16 stops. Contrast n grading plays more role than anything. Have FF is big deal. Only FF sensor to do 4k120p. S35 alot smaller. And Sony put pro codec h264 xavc I 600mbps and put in raw 16bit too ninja. Basically surprising everyone.

Thanks to canons R5.

R5 great stills camera video specs are great on paper but no h264 pro codec! So hard to edit. Also DR is down a few stops. I dont think adding clog2 or 3 will make a big difference tho it may help a bit. Kinda like A7iii having slog3. Dr just ain't there in sensor.

So sonys option at $3k is a steal. Its a cine camera 1st. Then xlr k3m gives you x l r inputs 4 channels. Plus polarpro Mattebox with ND filters gets you 95% there.

With proper Rig you can't go wrong. Add about another $1500-$2000.

Still less than $6k though. And still FF. If you own EF glass A7siii should be an option for video.. if you own RF glass then A7siii is Not for you unless u sell your glass.

Eos c70 will compete w Komodo. Be better than R5 by far with great DR. No raw but you got canons best pro codec. H264 xavc I. Canons best log clog 3 with 16 stops. ND filters and xlr inputs.

Can't go wrong. If IQ above all else and AF not needed then ko m odo gives you raw workflow. All will give you great IQ.

If you do video above all else I would suggest any 3x. I would stay away from R5 for video only.

Id go A7riv.. A7riii.. if ef glass. Consider those. Or 1dxiii which is also $6k but won't overheat ! R5 if stills first but non pro environment. I would be scared to shoot R5 at a paid wedding doing hybrid shoot. Better have backup ready to go. Heat is really problematic as we all know.

Upvote 0
I love Canons move of using DGO sensor s35 16+ stops. This is what arri does with their great IQ. You wont get raw and it'll crush c300iii sales. But after A7siii dropped made c300iii at $11k not feasible. 4k120p no raw with canons pro xf avc I is big deal for $6k.

This is Komodo competition hands down. Komodo didn't even drop yet. Canon sold mount to red then drops a Komodo killer b4 it drops.

I love Canons strategy here! Look for Sony to answer with fx6. fs5ii replacevent. Sony will go FF though. Use Fx9 sensor maybe go no Raw option also. Canons xf avc I is a pro codec and to any1 considering a video camera. Codecs play the biggest deal and is often most overlooked feature. R5 had great specs on paper but no pro codec. Oy h265 which needs proxies. Also DR is biggest deal besides codecs. Raw is important too if u need raw workflow. We are all spoiled to have so many great choices. Pick right tool for you.

Upvote 0
The same could be said about Canon's stills cameras just a couple of months ago.

Not claiming anything about this particular rumored body, but if a camera has a hand grip, it would likely benefit from having IBIS too.
You can't build a cine camera with both ND filters and IBIS. At this time the technology is not there. Also cinema camera get around that with heavier weight. They have gyroscope on fx9 for amazing post stabilization. I know canon has some active digital stabilization also.

But you don't have both. ND plus IBIS. One or other. Technology not there yet.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
You can't build a cine camera with both ND filters and IBIS. At this time the technology is not there. Also cinema camera get around that with heavier weight. They have gyroscope on fx9 for amazing post stabilization. I know canon has some active digital stabilization also.

But you don't have both. ND plus IBIS. One or other. Technology not there yet.
Yeah there is only so much flange depth to work with and Built In ND is far more frequently useful on these types of cameras than is IBIS.

Upvote 0
Yeah if you're doing serious work for hire than I doubt you're showing up with naught but a little naked MILC. You probably have a cage or rig you're building it into or it's mounted to a video tripod. In either case I really have never had a problem using the Ninja V where it impeded my ability to use the camera in the same manner. Again, I'm not run-and-gun very much. but when I do, the EOS R does fine with the Ronin M and I can mount the Ninja to the top cross bar. Otherwise the Ninja is on a small rig arm attached to the tripod with the camera. And you hit the nail on the head about the codec factor, which is HUGE for me and I think gets overlooked too often. I can run smooth as silk playback on an 8 year old MacPro doing Multicam editing with 2 - 3 4K streams in Adobe. The native Canon codecs stutter and stammer and choke and I find myself having to re-encode. ProResHQ is just so much nicer to work with.
Canons pro codec xf avc I 10bitv422. Runs like butter. Same codec cc00iii and c500 series.

but the Eos R5. Runs h265. Its not the pro cine oc. Both Sony and canon pro cine line offer xvc I h264. Hats y Sony putting thatro codec in a7siii is use deal. Thank u cnon r5. Sony neverused pr codec in a7 line. also no 10bit.
but they also did16bit raw to ninj. Big deal.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
DYNAMIC RANGE IS A BIG DEAL. We all know the R5 is lacking DR. Canon fanboys can act like its Not a big deal but it really is.

If you want that Pro Cine Video look you need that DR. The A7siii has over 15++ stops of dR in slog3.

The canon c300iii DR is even better its

GO. Basically the sensor does 2x simultaneous
readouts.. 1xfor highlights and 1x for shadows then combine. But the other bigger deal is S35 sensor vs FF sensor. Only the A7siii is a Ff sensor and its BSI.. it'll be low light king for next 5 yrs.

I'll agree that DR is important... up to a point and certainly it is more important when the environment cannot be controlled. But to me with the latest R5 debacle, Sony is now firmly in the lead as far as bang-for-the buck goes. When the Canon R5 was announced I immediately pre-ordered, and expected to keep that camera for many years to come. After receiving the body I learned first hand that the overheating issue was indeed real. I decided to be patient and wait until Canon addressed the issue. But now, after having installed version 1.1 of the firmware, I can confirm that the issue is far from resolved. I just got done packing up over $6K worth of returns... R5, Battery Grip, two memory cards (2.5TB worth), and the CFExpress reader... I'm done. I also pre-ordered the Sony A7S3 immediately when sales opened on the launch day. I rest safe in the knowledge that the Sony should perform without limitations. Turns out the two overheating incidence where due to cheap plastic lenses being used that trapped heat in the body. This will not be an issue for me.

I may get another Canon body, but honestly I'm going to take a wait and see approach after this last fiasco. I used to believe Canons were... if nothing else, extremely reliable professional tools, but this last experience has destroyed that confidence that I once had in the brand.

Sony colors are much improved. They seem to be bringing their best game now. Battery life is very good. Weather sealing is now taken seriously. Overall, they are doing what it takes to earn my business. On the phone with BH Photo today, the wait-time was 71 minutes. The online chat was so busy that the system was diverting to email instead. I don't know if this is all due to R5 returns, but it would make sense as today is the last day to return for the launch pre-orders. Expect a flood of refurbs and used R5 bodies in the near future.

Upvote 0
I'll agree that DR is important... up to a point and certainly it is more important when the environment cannot be controlled. But to me with the latest R5 debacle, Sony is now firmly in the lead as far as bang-for-the buck goes. When the Canon R5 was announced I immediately pre-ordered, and expected to keep that camera for many years to come. After receiving the body I learned first hand that the overheating issue was indeed real. I decided to be patient and wait until Canon addressed the issue. But now, after having installed version 1.1 of the firmware, I can confirm that the issue is far from resolved. I just got done packing up over $6K worth of returns... R5, Battery Grip, two memory cards (2.5TB worth), and the CFExpress reader... I'm done. I also pre-ordered the Sony A7S3 immediately when sales opened on the launch day. I rest safe in the knowledge that the Sony should perform without limitations. Turns out the two overheating incidence where due to cheap plastic lenses being used that trapped heat in the body. This will not be an issue for me.

I may get another Canon body, but honestly I'm going to take a wait and see approach after this last fiasco. I used to believe Canons were... if nothing else, extremely reliable professional tools, but this last experience has destroyed that confidence that I once had in the brand.

Sony colors are much improved. They seem to be bringing their best game now. Battery life is very good. Weather sealing is now taken seriously. Overall, they are doing what it takes to earn my business. On the phone with BH Photo today, the wait-time was 71 minutes. The online chat was so busy that the system was diverting to email instead. I don't know if this is all due to R5 returns, but it would make sense as today is the last day to return for the launch pre-orders. Expect a flood of refurbs and used R5 bodies in the near future.

Same here mate. Just took the decision to return my R5 and get an a7siii.
Im quite amazed though how Sony played canon. They won the war.
And I’m even convinced that when the a7iv comes out it’ll be a more capable hybrid than the R5.

Time to invest in some good FE glass now.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

And I’m even convinced that when the a7iv comes out it’ll be a more capable hybrid than the R5.

I actually have some Sony equipment and absolutely love the 24mm GM. Haven't decided on A7siii yet but I just might. Are you not considering this C70 or do you need FF/Hybrid?

Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016

Another factor with the Ninja is you bypass Canon's stupid 30 minute internal record timer. Hopefully they disable that in an update.

One downside with the R5 and the Ninja, however, is the damn micro HDMI port. I've already broken two cables just with regular usage. Why Canon didn't include a full-sized HDMI is beyond me.

Upvote 0

To each their own. I lean heavily towards the photography side of things and only occasionally use my camera for video, but I replaced my A7R IV with an R5 and couldn't be happier about it. In my opinion, all of the talk of overheating has distracted from the fact that the R5 is far and away the best camera on the market for stills.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0