Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C70

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
No. This is serious stuff. It’s VIDEO after all.

I made this same joke in another “video” thread and was told very sternly that the video bro’s were trying to have a ‘serious discussion’ and stills shooter humor wasn’t welcome. I’m thinking ‘video whining has flooded every thread since the dawn of the R5’ but I deleted my little joke and left them to their round table...

:rolleyes:

I’m sure some video guy will try to stick a grain of rice in this thing somewhere. It’s inevitable.
They really are something, I cannot fathom arguing over frame rates and codecs, no thank you.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Yes, the camera does not really overheat. And the Earth is flat and we never landed on the moon.
Learn some physics. Understand that electronics generate heat. Try to grasp that all FF DSLRs and MILCs have issues with overheating.
Do you seriously think that Canon has devised a way to overcome physics reality. A magic potion perhaps sprinkled on the processor?
Do you really think it’s possible to run the R5 all day long without any overheating whatsoever, just because it’s connected to an external recorder, but pop a card in the slot, while still outputting/recording externally and voilà, the overheating is back? Don’t be silly.
Lots of companies limit capabilities artificially, Tesla does it among others. It’s extremely common in software paid/free versions.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Hmm, mixture of some XC-10 and some Blackmagic stuff. I am worried though, as the main question is - whom is the camera for? It should be a Panasonic or Sony A7SIII competitor. But that means - EVF, that also means an IBIS. If Canon made it just a C line like, and it will have no IBIS, then it is a different product for different ppl and as an occassional videographer for weddings, there is a zero chance I would get one, if IBIS is missing. Simple as that.
So 90% of a $12,000 C-300 Mk3 For $6000...and that’s a problem for you? Ok. If you are shooting weddings you should have one A cam on a tripod anyway making ibis irrelevant. This is who this camera is for

Upvote 0
The devil is in the details but at first blush I like the form factor better than my BMPCC.

So it's ok to go one way but not the other? See that's the rub. You can start on a 'Stills Only Body' wishlist thread and all the forum comes to bash your balls. But it's perfectly understandable for this body to take zero stills.

I haven't seen any documentation saying it won't take stills. I understand why a C-800 doesn't take stills but it would make a lot of sense if this one does. If you are shooting some "Behind the scenes" footage and shots it would be good to be able to do both on this guy as it would be pretty good in that application. For the record in high dynamic range landscape shot my BMPCC takes way better stills then my EOS R with the side benifit that it puts out a DNG file so I don't have to own a windows computer just to convert my CR3 files to DNG so I can edit them.

Hmm, mixture of some XC-10 and some Blackmagic stuff. I am worried though, as the main question is - whom is the camera for?

My guess would be that it is primarily aimed at stemming the bleeding from the BMPCC. But is would have a number of applications from weddings where you need to move quick, to gimbal work and places where you don't want to stick a big dollar cinema camera like the outside of a car. This would also get into places that a big rig camera would draw to much attention like pretty well every where in a city. Where I live, if I alone was to take a C-500 to a park I would need $2000 permit, $18,000 cash deposit, I think it is $2M insurance. Or I could take this guy and pretend I am shooting photos for free. If you travel a lot shooting videos like the YT crowd this could be a winner as well. Speaking of which some one was saying this would be to big for a gimbal but it will work on most. If you can stick a 400mm 2.8 GM on a Ronin S this thing with a 24-70 will be no problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
I'm going cautious on spec here, due to number in the name, and the R5. I'm saying super 35 sensor with RF mount will be the draw, and 4K 60p be the top it can do. Protects the R5, gives people an entry point into RF film making, and paves the way for R mount C300 / C500 equivalents next year. Price I'm guessing around $4.5k.
Earlier post:

Canon Cinema EOS C70 (Name not confirmed)
  • Super 35mm 4K DGO sensor (same as the Cinema EOS C300 Mark III)
  • No IBIS
  • RF Mount
  • Internal ND (10 Stops)
  • CLog 2 & CLog 3
  • 4:2:2 10bit onto SD cards up to 4K120 and 2K180
  • No RAW capability internally at launch
  • BP-A batteries
  • Price: $6299 USD

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
This is exactly what I was worried about and now this is proof - Canon really seems to be going hard on the path to crippling their products to protect other lines. For folks like me who desire a proper hybrid - this is not a solution - just another problem.
Oh my God, another cripple hammer fanboy...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

KenLLL

Eos R, M6II
Sep 17, 2018
Well, that's my worry. Ppl using e.g. C300 III will wait for just C300 IV having an RF mount. Why should they opt for C50 or C70? Maybe as a B roll cameras? So - if Canon thinks, that C50 or C70 would attract professional wedding shooters, putting no IBIS there is a fatal mistake. They don't need to put stills mode there, as if they really want to compete to the likes of an A7SIII, they need perfect low-light performance, hence even a lower resolution than the R6's 20mpx, but IBIS has to be there. My bet is, that IBIS is going to be missing, which will immediately cut-off many potential buyers. That's why I ask about the market target for such cameras.
If IBIS isn't in it, I'm so excited for all the whiners to say the product is doomed without ever having used it. That being said, if it had ibis, i would never use it. My Ronin S more than satisfies my stabalization needs.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
After enhancing the image detail we can clearly observe that there is indeed a hinge visible in the picture. So we can conclude that the C70 will sport a flippy screen.
Would be outstanding to have a screen like that for touch DPAF. But it could also be a door/cover for mechanical dials for audio preamps like the other cinema cams. That said, being on the back, I DO tend to agree it's more likely a tiltflip

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Basically R5 with a fan :D

How do you figure?
C300MkiiiR5
Sensor8.85MP45MP
4K Native8K Native
16:93:2
NDBuilt-inNA
Weather sealingNoneFull
Battery typeBP-A SeriesLP-E6N/H
Image stabilizationElectronicIBIS and electronic

I think this camera is most like the C300 Mkiii. The question is really... is this a better option than the Sony A7S3? Granted the DGO sensor is something special, but this is also only a APSC sensor compared to full frame. I would love to see some footage comparing the C300 Mk3 to the Sony A7S3 and R5... if we could get a Red Komodo 6K in there also that would be fantastic. I’d like to see the detail, dynamic range etc...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0