A budget EOS R body is coming in the first half of 2021 [CR2]

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Let's see.... Can we cripple it more? Oh, yes: there are so many ports and megapixels and let's put a tiny battery... Is overheating a feature?!
I don't think you understand what a budget FF camera is. Using the 'C' word just takes your comments out of the relevant discussion.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
YES! A full frame M6!!!!!
Possibly:

Same sensor as RP or R (26 / 30mpx) because that should now be cheap enough.

DIgic X (or the Digic 9 from the M7?) capable of running animal eye AF with the older sensor.

FPS no different to the R/RP depending on which sensor used.

No IBIS

4K full width

Flash hotshoe compatible with the EFV-DC1/EVF-DC2 viewfinders.

LP-E17 battery

Single UHS-II card slot

A new RF 24-80 f/4-5.6 kit lens
[/Q

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
I always love the disconnect between gearheads in camera communities and the actual market.

A full frame camera under $1000 will sell like absolute hotcakes no matter if it has a 20 megapixel sensor or the "crappy" 26 megapixel sensor from the RP again.

There are vastly more sales of cameras like the M50 from random people walking into a Best Buy or searching "camera" on Amazon than there are people who know anything about how old a sensor is, what a "full frame sensor" is, or even what dynamic range is. If you're going to complain, then clearly the camera isn't for you, it's as simple as that.
Some people have a hard time grasping that some cameras and lenses are made for OTHER people.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
THIS is always a welcome notion. Until the pancake police come in and start talking flange distance and element protrusion conflicts, those party poopers.

So does the additional registration distance of an SLR make the pancake possible? I believed this but then remembered that the EF-M has the rather well regarded 22mm pancake, and Sony has one for the APS-C E-mounts.

Anyway I have the heavy duty stuff, and am hungry for a wheat and butter milk pancake, hold the sugar and syzurp (I'm on a low sugar diet).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Darecinema

Addicted to lenses.
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2018
Sorry, but f that mf-ing RP sensor — not unless they remove that scrambled cable channel AA filter off of it.
It's actually really funny for me to read this comment as a few hours ago I stumbled across some photos that I did in April. I had left my 5DIV at the office and a friend urgently needed some photos shot so I borrowed my kid's RP and did the shoot. I was looking at these photos and then saw the metadata and it reminded me that I shot them on the RP and I said to myself "Holy Crap! These look really great! I didn't think the RP was that good."

So you may feel it's a crappy sensor, but in my opinion, it still takes very nice photos.

Attachments

• RPsample-9971.jpg
    RPsample-9971.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 425
  • RPsample-9792.jpg
    RPsample-9792.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 428
  • RPsample-9733.jpg
    RPsample-9733.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 431
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It's actually really funny for me to read this comment as a few hours ago I stumbled across some photos that I did in April. I had left my 5DIV at the office and a friend urgently needed some photos shot so I borrowed my kid's RP and did the shoot. I was looking at these photos and then saw the metadata and it reminded me that I shot them on the RP and I said to myself "Holy Crap! These look really great! I didn't think the RP was that good."

So you may feel it's a crappy sensor, but in my opinion, it still takes very nice photos.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

• Haha
  • Sad
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?
Ignore SteveC... He’s incapable of following the connection you’ve made that you’ve found results you’re happy with from the RP sensor. That you can get good results with it despite the AA filter. I guess following a thread is hard when you’re trying so hard to stir up confrontation.

I think this is a fine example of the benefit of having back up camera bodies (even if it was your kids). It’s awesome you got them an RP. A camera is such an awesome gift.

I wonder if they will remove the AA at this “budget” price point or if that will be reserved for bodies like the R6 and up.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Ignore SteveC... He’s incapable of following the connection you’ve made that you’ve found results you’re happy with from the RP sensor. That you can get good results with it despite the AA filter. I guess following a thread is hard when you’re trying so hard to stir up confrontation.

I think this is a fine example of the benefit of having back up camera bodies (even if it was your kids). It’s awesome you got them an RP. A camera is such an awesome gift.

I wonder if they will remove the AA at this “budget” price point or if that will be reserved for bodies like the R6 and up.
I thought it was clear he was making a joke about being distracted by the attractive, bikini-clad subject of the photos.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

I thought it was clear he was making a joke about being distracted by the attractive, bikini-clad subject of the photos.
Ah, you’re right. They’ve just been a repeat offender in rudeness lately but I apologize. The joke flew right over my head.

Oh god, maybe I’m the one stirring confrontation. My b SteveC. I think I need time off the forum. it’s quite addicting.

• Haha
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

Sorry, Jim you missed my joke. Of course those are good pics, and his point is well made (I'm not anti-RP sensor; I'd better not be, I have a refurb RP on order). I went, looked at them, and forgot what we were talking about. Once I looked away, I was able to remember once again.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Sorry, Jim you missed my joke. Of course those are good pics, and his point is well made (I'm not anti-RP sensor; I'd better not be, I have a refurb RP on order). I went, looked at them, and forgot what we were talking about. Once I looked away, I was able to remember once again.
I apologized for mistakenly calling you out in another comment. Joke definitely flew over my head. I lost myself in a dark tunnel vision and now I see... I should take more breaks.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
This will be a camera for the big box stores to sell to new photographers just as the digital rebel was. Its not going to be loaded with bells and whistles or super sensor or even a EVF. That does not mean it won't do a good job in the right hands, but everything possible will be cut out to get the price down. The cost to manufacture a camera is not even close to the selling price. There are so many hidden costs that bump the price up to that big figure. I think Canon would like to get a FF camera / lens kit into big box stores for <$1000.

Upvote 0