A budget EOS R body is coming in the first half of 2021 [CR2]

It's because that's what they do with the video specs... I'm still waiting to upgrade my C100II to something smaller and better... like a FF mirrorless... I have a lot of EF mount lenses, even TS-E... A lot of LP6 batteries... I look to Sony A7SIII - it's almost perfect. Sony keeps the same grip, the same batteries for all A7 series - so it's a good value; Canon makes you buy a grip for each camera model, that very soon has no value without the camera. Canon released 5D mark IV, but with impossible data rates in 4K, with only 24/25/30p and OMG, a huge crop factor... Oh, and an outdated CF Card! 1DXIII seems to be ok... but still is hard to use it as a video camera.
Then, the RF mount was promising.... Canon teased us by releasing the greatest mirrorless ever made using the advertising slogan "Revolutionising videography. Again." But they limited it with a fake temperature sensor and they called it "overheating". Is very frustrating to see than all my the Canon gear is dropping in price, mostly when I want to resell it. Other cameras hold up their price even if they are used. But Canon goes down in price with huge steps. This is a reality. People see that other manufacturers are more innovative and they listen to their customers so they will probably buy that, mostly if they just enter in this business with no previous investment. In the cinema world Sony released FX9 and now FX7 is coming (let's see!). FF 6K camera priced at $10,998 now on B&H. Canon released C500 FF 5.9K at $15,999! Canon is pushing our limits and is punishing it's (especially older) customers with their crippled cameras. So yes, is very frustrating. And yes, even after those limitations on R5, Canon even charge a lot for that (crippled thing). If you put in balance what each camera can do.... for the price, I think it's not worth it. As someone already said: "Why would someone buy a car that has an overheating engine?" I think this is a valid question. So, no, if it's not reliable, I'm not interested!
i'm not even going to read your reply...lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
Then I would say look elsewhere.
He'd better, at last.
Interestingly, when you take a look at this guy's messages, they are all of the same type : I would like to buy/keep Canon... oh, but something sucks... Canon cripples and Sony/Panasonic/Anything else does better, so I'd rather buy Sony/Panasonic/Anything else... always nearly the same since nearly 4 years.
I really wonder how comes he can still have any Canon camera (if ever he has) or still be interested in any Canon product... or maybe Canon is not as uninteresting to him, at least not as much as he tries to tell everybody here all the time.
And maybe, even with all those bad bad bad Canon gears, he's still having a hard time to make a decision buying something else... since 4 years :unsure:... come on !

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
He'd better, at last.
Interestingly, when you take a look at this guy's messages, they are all of the same type : I would like to buy/keep Canon... oh, but something sucks... Canon cripples and Sony/Panasonic/Anything else does better, so I'd rather buy Sony/Panasonic/Anything else... always nearly the same since nearly 4 years.
I really wonder how comes he can still have any Canon camera (if ever he has) or still be interested in any Canon product... or maybe Canon is not as uninteresting to him, at least not as much as he tries to tell everybody here all the time.
And maybe, even with all those bad bad bad Canon gears, he's still having a hard time to make a decision buying something else... since 4 years :unsure:... come on !

S*ny must pay him well.

Upvote 0
Long story short: I won't spend my money on unreliable and overpriced cameras. Don't worry about that! But your attitude is like coming from Canon: "We don't want to listen. We know better." Good luck with your customers!

The R5/R6 is obviously not for you, but for many it's the camera they want. They are basically sold out at the moment.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
It's because that's what they do with the video specs... I'm still waiting to upgrade my C100II to something smaller and better... like a FF mirrorless... I have a lot of EF mount lenses, even TS-E... A lot of LP6 batteries... I look to Sony A7SIII - it's almost perfect. Sony keeps the same grip, the same batteries for all A7 series - so it's a good value; Canon makes you buy a grip for each camera model, that very soon has no value without the camera. Canon released 5D mark IV, but with impossible data rates in 4K, with only 24/25/30p and OMG, a huge crop factor... Oh, and an outdated CF Card! 1DXIII seems to be ok... but still is hard to use it as a video camera.
Then, the RF mount was promising.... Canon teased us by releasing the greatest mirrorless ever made using the advertising slogan "Revolutionising videography. Again." But they limited it with a fake temperature sensor and they called it "overheating". Is very frustrating to see than all my the Canon gear is dropping in price, mostly when I want to resell it. Other cameras hold up their price even if they are used. But Canon goes down in price with huge steps. This is a reality. People see that other manufacturers are more innovative and they listen to their customers so they will probably buy that, mostly if they just enter in this business with no previous investment. In the cinema world Sony released FX9 and now FX7 is coming (let's see!). FF 6K camera priced at $10,998 now on B&H. Canon released C500 FF 5.9K at $15,999! Canon is pushing our limits and is punishing it's (especially older) customers with their crippled cameras. So yes, is very frustrating. And yes, even after those limitations on R5, Canon even charge a lot for that (crippled thing). If you put in balance what each camera can do.... for the price, I think it's not worth it. As someone already said: "Why would someone buy a car that has an overheating engine?" I think this is a valid question. So, no, if it's not reliable, I'm not interested!

People who use the word "cripple" with Canon products are usually doing it because they don't understand physics, marketing, camera production costs, and - more often that you might think - photography. So, if you think that just because you see it on Camera forums and internet sites, that makes it acceptable - I would disagree. It usually is because the contributor has an anti-Canon agenda - and often is a Sony troll. So, if that's the group you want to be associated with, by all means, keep using that completely DISRESPECTFUL phrase.

Canon calls the overheating in the R5 overheating because Full Frame cameras overheat when shooting video. It is not fake. It has been a problem with all brands for years. Physics demands demands it. Sony camera overheat even worse, but apparently people think that Canon is crippling their cameras while Sonys are almost perfect. Do you know why Canon has sensors that will warn you of the overheating? Do you know why the camera will shut off when it reaches a certain temperature?? It's so you don't damage your expensive new camera! And fools on the internet think that is a bad thing. Yes, Canon is conservative when it comes to the overheating issue. They want to be sure that YOU DON"T DAMAGE YOUR EXPENSIVE NEW CAMERA.

If you are dissatisfied with Canon, no one is forcing you to buy their stuff. Go buy your Sonys. Then you can go on their forums and complain about all that is sub-par with them. You may find (as other Sony owners like myself have found) that Canon's crippled cameras work a lot better and are - in the long run - a much better value and a much more reliable product. So, comparing costs is not always good measuring stick of what is the better value. Sometimes, you get what you pay for, as the saying goes.

Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
An interesting dilemma. I'm pretty sure that the firmware released for the R5 will come to the R6 as well & if so, the R5 is now able to do 96 30 second clips of 4k HQ before it overheated which is pretty impressive and although not quite the same as you I would be surprised if limits for 5-10 minute clips were not increased after the b=new firmware. There's also the view that most people cant tell the difference between 4k HQ and 4k 30P footage when they are shown them side by side. I'm sure some people with 4k / 8k TV's may be able to tell the difference if they really look hard but I couldn't see a noticeable difference when I looked on my 4k TV. The good news is that 4k has no overheating limits as far as I'm aware.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how many stills shots can be taken before it impacts the higher resolution video side. From some reviews I have read on the R5, the number of stills shots is pretty big before it causes issues.

Tough choice but for me, I'd try the R6 and decide but that's just me lol. good luck!
I also have the hope that the new firmware is going to solve a lot of the issues. I will be testing it over the next week in the field (am of course bringing back up cameras as I am going by vehicle) If it does really overheat, I will try to see what I can get out of the 1080p and if that is going to be good enough for my main use (which is youtube) as the compression on there is so tough, it really doesn't matter all that much. The multiple hour recovery period is what I am really shocked by, that does not seem to be reasonable at all. The tear down videos I have seen, it looks to be really cheaply manufactured, but, that also means nothing to me if it just works.

As I mentioned before, I am assuredly a huge fan of canon, that said, all of the other cameras work well. The EOS R and 6D are good examples of people trashing them and they work fine if you're not an insane person (looking at crazy high zoomed color cards for instance) I mean to say, if a persons workflow requires 16 stops of dynamic range from the camera? Seriously, buy a light. Or,do some planning ahead of time, LOL.

Here's an example photo that I need fast burst rate for. Shot in the worst light, in a dark fish room, with reflections everywhere. It's not really that in focus and I never even used this for anything. This shrimp will not be alive by the time I am in the correct country to get a shot of it again. So, hopefully the faster shutter speed will allow me to not have to drop the crazy money for the 1Dx mark iii...

Black Dhrimp.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Good new they found a pallet of old 5D MkI sensors in the warehouse and now for $1000 you can have a 12MP camera.

Who is the demographic screaming "what we really want is a shittier camera"?. If they are really doing this then it would add fuel to the idea that they are going to dump the M line up.
This isnt about the M line. Its about bringing over all those DSLR shooters to mirrorless

Upvote 0
It's actually really funny for me to read this comment as a few hours ago I stumbled across some photos that I did in April. I had left my 5DIV at the office and a friend urgently needed some photos shot so I borrowed my kid's RP and did the shoot. I was looking at these photos and then saw the metadata and it reminded me that I shot them on the RP and I said to myself "Holy Crap! These look really great! I didn't think the RP was that good."

So you may feel it's a crappy sensor, but in my opinion, it still takes very nice photos.
I really don't understand why there's a surprise that the RP from 2019 can make decent photos under these (technologically) completely unchallenging conditions. Low contrast scene, so DR is easily within any sensor's capabilities, enough light, so no high-ISO noise concerns, stationary subject, so no potential AF-performance issues. It appears to me that following too many discussions on here completely distorts the expectations what even today's supposedly 'crappy' sensors are capable of.

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
I really don't understand why there's a surprise that the RP from 2019 can make decent photos under these (technologically) completely unchallenging conditions. Low contrast scene, so DR is easily within any sensor's capabilities, enough light, so no high-ISO noise concerns, stationary subject, so no potential AF-performance issues. It appears to me that following too many discussions on here completely distorts the expectations what even today's supposedly 'crappy' sensors are capable of.
Some other hypotheses that may help you understand then :

- to suppose any nowadays FF sensor can be "crappy" may be the very sign of truly distorted expectations
- most people here knows how to get at least satisfying results out of any recent FF sensor/camera
- you expect to have the features/metrics you want for a much lower price than what can reasonably be expected

Wanting better is a good thing as long as it doesn't become an obsession, leading too big frustrations ... too many readings on the internet are intended to distort our expectations (probably to encourage GAS), and certainly much more than reasonable exchanges with other photographers in a dedicated forum.

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
People who use the word "cripple" with Canon products are usually doing it because they don't understand physics, marketing, camera production costs, and - more often that you might think - photography. So, if you think that just because you see it on Camera forums and internet sites, that makes it acceptable - I would disagree. It usually is because the contributor has an anti-Canon agenda - and often is a Sony troll. So, if that's the group you want to be associated with, by all means, keep using that completely DISRESPECTFUL phrase.
A Canon executive said DPAF was disabled in 4K on the EOS M50 due to "market position". That was clearly a business decision, not technical.

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
A Canon executive said DPAF was disabled in 4K on the EOS M50 due to "market position". That was clearly a business decision, not technical.
What I read is "no need to make the price higher while the target won't use 4K for the main" ... that's indeed "market position".
Leaves quite a room for interpretation, don't you think ?...
And even a bigger room between a simple marketing decision and the word "cripple"...

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
Won't hold my breath.

The 6D was supposed to be their FF dSLR but was disappointing in many ways.

The 6D Mk2 was supposed to be better but it was a hobbled by its single card, so so number of pixels and lack of 4K video, and its auto focus cluster was basically dropped in from one of their APSC cameras.
I have never lost a single picture to SD card malfunction, so I see the whole single card issue as overblown for anyone other than professionals, pixel count is more than enough on the 6D II, it was already quite ok on the original 6D that I used as a second body for years. Many people buy dslrs and now milcs for photography, video is not a concern. Just saying that Canon understand their demographics and are good at producing cameras that target real photographer needs. My (recently sold, 7 year ownership) 5D mk3 served me well and the 6D as second body was an excellent price/performance product that complemented the main camera at an excellent price point relative to its capabilities.

Upvote 0