R5/R6: Moving initial AF point with the joystick in face detection mode?

I don't have the camera yet, so cannot confirm myself.
But I guess you can do it in two steps:
1. set back button AF to AF-on button and
2. set another button (e.g. star button) to start eye-tracking.
In this way you can select AF point by pushing the AF-on and moving it with joystick to any place you want and then push the star button to activate eye-tracking.

Upvote 0
I don't have the camera yet, so cannot confirm myself.
But I guess you can do it in two steps:
1. set back button AF to AF-on button and
2. set another button (e.g. star button) to start eye-tracking.
In this way you can select AF point by pushing the AF-on and moving it with joystick to any place you want and then push the star button to activate eye-tracking.
Thats exactly how to do it

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I think what your looking for is
1599171496858.png
Top selection on Page 5 of the AF menus.

Make sure you have have the Joystick enabled in custom buttons
2020-09-03.jpg

I used this to select where I want the tracking to start.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
View attachment 192589

2020-09-03.jpg

Yes ! This is a nice way to do it. You can set the center point as the starting point, position that point over your subject, and then recompose at will once the tracking initiates.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2020
View attachment 192589

2020-09-03.jpg

I have those settings. However:

- In Single Shot mode, moving the joystick while using face-tracking does nothing (if no faces/eyes are found). If multiple faces/eyes are found, the joystick can jump between those.
- In Single Shot mode, dragging on the touch screen shows a little red crosshair that can be used to set the initial AF point.
- In Servo AF, moving the joystick does indeed move the AF point around. However, unlike in the Single Shot mode, it cannot be used to jump between faces/eyes.

The reason I asked initially was because I'd like to be in the face-tracking mode most of the time, even if there are no faces. I used it for some street photography the other day, where it changes a lot whether there is a person in the frame or not. It was a bit annoying having to swap between face-detection and 1-point AF all the time.

Upvote 0

- In Single Shot mode, moving the joystick while using face-tracking does nothing (if no faces/eyes are found). If multiple faces/eyes are found, the joystick can jump between those.
- In Single Shot mode, dragging on the touch screen shows a little red crosshair that can be used to set the initial AF point.
- In Servo AF, moving the joystick does indeed move the AF point around. However, unlike in the Single Shot mode, it cannot be used to jump between faces/eyes.

The reason I asked initially was because I'd like to be in the face-tracking mode most of the time, even if there are no faces. I used it for some street photography the other day, where it changes a lot whether there is a person in the frame or not. It was a bit annoying having to swap between face-detection and 1-point AF all the time.
Did you ever figure this out? I am also not able to move the focus point in One Shot mode, only in Servo.

Upvote 0

Yes! I think I had this same issue. Unable to enable eyeAF in Servo?

Upvote 0
Yes! I think I had this same issue. Unable to enable eyeAF in Servo?

I can enable eyeAF in Servo and One Shot. However, when I am in One Shot, I do not get the ability to move the focus point for eyeAF like I do in Servo

Upvote 0
I can enable eyeAF in Servo and One Shot. However, when I am in One Shot, I do not get the ability to move the focus point for eyeAF like I do in Servo

I can't find the setting either. Joystick is enabled, and I've activated eye tracking (animal) but when focusing (back button) it displays some sort of grid with green dots. I want the focus area to be in the center of the VF and to manually be able to move it around with the joystick (R5 and R6) until it actually "hits" an eye. Is this possible?
One shot mode, and face tracking enabled.

Upvote 0