A budget EOS R body is coming in the first half of 2021 [CR2]

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I see on Facebook that some R6 owners are receiving their cameras with firmware 1.1.0 and others 1.0

Hmmm....
Interesting but not a massive issue as the update doesn't take long anyway. I suppose it will depend on when the cameras were shipped from Canon as maybe some were dispatched prior to the update?

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
Honestly though, I'd be potentially interested if the rumour was true. If it's small/light weight/cheap and even with no EVF, I could see it as a reasonable emergency backup body (depending on your shooting of course). I've done a lot of multi-day hiking with my 5DIV and have always kind of wanted a really small camera I can just throw into the bag as a backup in case the 5D goes over a cliff when I'm a few days travel from a camera store. Cheap/small/light makes it a great candidate for that, even without an EVF for me - I was really considering an M6+EF adapter for that role at one point.

I’m interested as well, but for street photography. Coupled with an adaptor and a 40mm pancake, or maybe the RF 85mm f/2... it would be unobtrusive, light, with all the advantages of full frame. A perfect second camera to my R for my shooting.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Are we close to the day of a $400-$800 new full frame camera?
I am guessing $800-$900 would not be an unreasonable expectation for the next gen entry model launch price. If there is still such a thing as economy of scale in this new market, future full frame poly-carbonate rebels will come in even lower. Good times for new photographers...

Upvote 0
I can't figure out what Canon is doing with this camera, IE what their intended target market is.

1) Best Buy/Costco ILC camera shoppers. Nope. Even if they want to ditch mirrors, which it seems pretty obvious what they're trying to do, there is already a well established M line that satisfies that need. Sure the lack of long reach lenses on that platform is frustrating for most, but 150mm is so much better than any cell camera that I don't think the hoardes of entry level camera buyers care.

2) Serious enthusiasts/non-pros. Nope. We already have the Canon RP and R for that. The glass is expensive enough that I don't see the RP being a significant barrier to entry.

3) FF for the budget shopper. Nope. Budget shoppers care zero about FF/crop.

So who is this targeting? Maybe I dismissed #2 too easily and they're going to try to do a $600 body with some $200 lenses on the RF platform as a gateway drug. The only reason this makes any sense is because with the M/RF platforms there is no upgrade path like there was for EF-S to EF. But how big is this market really? Would a beginner in ILC care about full frame/RF mount? I don't see it. Maybe they're targeting existing DSLR ILC crop sensor shooters that are going to make the leap to full frame/RF? Again, how big is that market, and wouldn't that market be willing to pony up for an RF?

Only thing I can think of is that they're coming out with a line of cheaper RF lenses and need a body to go with it.

Upvote 0
I can't figure out what Canon is doing with this camera, IE what their intended target market is.

1) Best Buy/Costco ILC camera shoppers. Nope. Even if they want to ditch mirrors, which it seems pretty obvious what they're trying to do, there is already a well established M line that satisfies that need. Sure the lack of long reach lenses on that platform is frustrating for most, but 150mm is so much better than any cell camera that I don't think the hoardes of entry level camera buyers care.

2) Serious enthusiasts/non-pros. Nope. We already have the Canon RP and R for that. The glass is expensive enough that I don't see the RP being a significant barrier to entry.

3) FF for the budget shopper. Nope. Budget shoppers care zero about FF/crop.

So who is this targeting? Maybe I dismissed #2 too easily and they're going to try to do a $600 body with some $200 lenses on the RF platform as a gateway drug. The only reason this makes any sense is because with the M/RF platforms there is no upgrade path like there was for EF-S to EF. But how big is this market really? Would a beginner in ILC care about full frame/RF mount? I don't see it. Maybe they're targeting existing DSLR ILC crop sensor shooters that are going to make the leap to full frame/RF? Again, how big is that market, and wouldn't that market be willing to pony up for an RF?

Only thing I can think of is that they're coming out with a line of cheaper RF lenses and need a body to go with it.

Even if they (casual photographers) did not care about FF/RF mount, they'll see the low price. Maybe they will never buy another camera or lens other than the kit lens. BUT, IF they stay with photography and end up enjoying it and wanting to continue and want to improve their gear, this inexpensive camera would make that possible. If there is no M system to purchase anymore, and they want a Canon camera, this is what they'll get.

Personally I would want the M to stay (to have something small when I don't want to lug around my larger gear). But with M6ii w/ viewfinder at the $1K price, it could make sense for Canon to no longer come out with newer M bodies. Then again, M50 is their best selling ILC to date. Only their research/analytics team would know best if the current M style cameras will continue, not us.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Even if they (casual photographers) did not care about FF/RF mount, they'll see the low price. Maybe they will never buy another camera or lens other than the kit lens. BUT, IF they stay with photography and end up enjoying it and wanting to continue and want to improve their gear, this inexpensive camera would make that possible. If there is no M system to purchase anymore, and they want a Canon camera, this is what they'll get.

Personally I would want the M to stay (to have something small when I don't want to lug around my larger gear). But with M6ii w/ viewfinder at the $1K price, it could make sense for Canon to no longer come out with newer M bodies. Then again, M50 is their best selling ILC to date. Only their research/analytics team would know best if the current M style cameras will continue, not us.

Hmm, so your theory is they're going to kill the M line and transition everyone to an RF setup? Valid hypothesis, but I think that the M line is Canon's best selling ILC system right now, like you mentioned, so I have to imagine they'll at least keep going for a while with it.

If it wasn't for the fact that I don't mind hauling around all my heavy stuff while going on vacation, I think the M line would be what I would own. Two or three native lenses, and maybe a 100-400 with an adapter, and you have a system just as capable as any DSLR setup for the price. And it's portable.

Time will tell I guess. Interesting times we live in :)

Upvote 0
Too many people cry about 6D2 sensor.. its not an issue. I was going over my Lightroom catalog yesterday that has over 200,000 photos from all kinds of cameras including the original EOS M with its super trashy 18mp sensor and the original 6D. The amount of clarity and supreme detail i was able to pull out of those files even at high ISO.. i was thinking... F those dynamic range arguments. WAY OVER BLOWN for real world scenarios. you'll almost never need that. It's nice to have but too many cry about it just cause youtubers cry about it. I was floored at how many beautiful EOS M (ORIGINAL) photos I could crank out.
That’s nice to hear that it rates as being better than “the original EOS M with its super trashy 18mp sensor”

Upvote 0
I don’t know if they’ll kill M. But I’m in the Canon ecosystem because someone gave me a Rebel XTi / 400D back in the day. Then I bought better glass, then a better body and so on. With them showing all indication of slowly transitioning from EF to RF except for the new 1DX, they really need a more affordable RF body, whether that’s with a crop frame sensor or corners cut elsewhere.

The problem, though, is whether they can really cut the thing down enough to hit this rumoured $1000 price tag without making it substantially broken compared to the RP that’s not an awful lot more.

Upvote 0
Hmm, so your theory is they're going to kill the M line and transition everyone to an RF setup? Valid hypothesis, but I think that the M line is Canon's best selling ILC system right now, like you mentioned, so I have to imagine they'll at least keep going for a while with it.

If it wasn't for the fact that I don't mind hauling around all my heavy stuff while going on vacation, I think the M line would be what I would own. Two or three native lenses, and maybe a 100-400 with an adapter, and you have a system just as capable as any DSLR setup for the price. And it's portable.

Time will tell I guess. Interesting times we live in :)

I have no theory. Just some contradicting thoughts making it hard to figure out what is going to happen. As mentioned before, only Canon knows what's going to happen. Or maybe even right now they don't know what is going to happen. LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Canon knows what's going to happen.
I'm pretty sure that isn't true. Canon could introduce a FF R equivalent to the M200 and an R7 body in parallel to the M system, including a new M7, and let the marketplace decide. Presumably, there will be increased revenues because of the new models, but there will also be increased costs. Which will dominate?

Upvote 0
Does Canon have a history of releasing two platforms and letting the market dictate which lives? (I'm asking because I truly don't know).

If they can do it cheap enough that makes sense. No one, even Canon, knows where camera systems are going in terms of adoption. Maybe 10 years from now everyone will be shooting on Google Pixel 1234s and ILCs will be a distant memory.

Upvote 0