EOS R Price Drop?

Mar 25, 2011
Canon mentioned reducing inventories in their last financial report. They do that to keep from having to cut prices. They were hard hit last winter and had to cut prices sharply to sell off excess inventory. Of course, prices do drop as a camera ages, usually by giving a S100 or $200 off in a sales event. Canon is barely scraping by as far as profits go, so they do not want to cut prices. I expect that we may see a $100 - $150 drop in the near future as a sale event.

Gray Market prices on ebay are $1710 to $1769 so there seems to be no big price cuts in sight.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Trying to get back into photography after years away. I was one of the ones that unfortunately missed the great holiday sale for the EOS R back in 2019.
I've also been waiting for this price drop. A couple things I've noticed.
- Grey Market price was $1450-$1599 just a few months ago. Now it's $1599-$1799
- When the rumored Sony A7c was originally supposed to be sub-$1000, the rumors of the EOS R price drop started ramping up.
- Now that the Sony a7c is supposed to be around the $2000 mark, I've seen the R price drop rumors flatline

My thinking is that if Sony's new a7c was going to be under $1000, Canon would have slashed the Eos R drastically to compete, maybe even eliminating the RP line. I was thinking $1200 or so.

Now that Sony is not offering a budget king, Canon is still seeing the RP being the budget model and the R being a premium model.

For me personally, I only wanted the R for 4k 30fps, as the RP only has 4k 24fps and the Canon CLOG. Now that I have figured out 3:2 pull downs with video framerates and realized that CLOG is just an editing profile I'm just going to settle on the RP. I want to start shooting again before Fall and not willing to wait for Canon.

However I will say, after reinvestigating the RP over and over now, I am starting to wonder why I ever considered the R. It really doesn't seem worth the extra $800-$1000 dollars.

Going with the RP now for sure.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Trying to get back into photography after years away. I was one of the ones that unfortunately missed the great holiday sale for the EOS R back in 2019.
I've also been waiting for this price drop. A couple things I've noticed.
- Grey Market price was $1450-$1599 just a few months ago. Now it's $1599-$1799
- When the rumored Sony A7c was originally supposed to be sub-$1000, the rumors of the EOS R price drop started ramping up.
- Now that the Sony a7c is supposed to be around the $2000 mark, I've seen the R price drop rumors flatline

My thinking is that if Sony's new a7c was going to be under $1000, Canon would have slashed the Eos R drastically to compete, maybe even eliminating the RP line. I was thinking $1200 or so.

Now that Sony is not offering a budget king, Canon is still seeing the RP being the budget model and the R being a premium model.

For me personally, I only wanted the R for 4k 30fps, as the RP only has 4k 24fps and the Canon CLOG. Now that I have figured out 3:2 pull downs with video framerates and realized that CLOG is just an editing profile I'm just going to settle on the RP. I want to start shooting again before Fall and not willing to wait for Canon.

However I will say, after reinvestigating the RP over and over now, I am starting to wonder why I ever considered the R. It really doesn't seem worth the extra $800-$1000 dollars.

Going with the RP now for sure.
I keep looking at the RP as a 2nd body to my R. It is a bargain. I am looking at the R6 as well. The excellent performance at ISO 25600 and up is interesting, I've had to use high ISO's for near dark photography.

I can't imagine going back to 20 mp, I tend to crop a lot. That would require me to purchase more big and heavy lenses so a R5 would add less cost than a expensive supertele.

I really don't want to spend $5000 on a new camera right now, so I've stayed with my R.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I agree with your statement on the R6. 20MP is just too little to work with in Post.

Whatever Canon has done with their models and their tiers in the market has been genius. There are very good reasons not only to get any one of their R models, but also justifications for each model existing in the market as well.

Sony obviously isn't as good as Canon with this. Hence all the Blowback Sony fans are giving the rumored a7c right now. Sony will release a camera with decent specs, then release an inferior version of that model around the same price?!?

Say what you want about the rumored Canon "Cirpple Hammer" but at least they have given us a budget Full Frame with modern amenities.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
CPW had the R plus grip for $1,649 frequently during the spring and summer. Refurbished, it's been as low as $1,457, body only. In December, the street price was $1,399 new from a Canon authorized dealer. At some point we will probably see it back to $1,400 street price, but who knows when? Given the backlog for the R5 I would not be surprised if Canon has shifted most manufacturing lines to the R5 and R6 for the time being.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
@VICYASA, funny timing here. Today Canon Price Watch announced a street price special on the R and 24-105 L lens for $2,300. The lens retails for around $1,000 so that's a great price for the pair.
So what does that mean? HAHAHA.. where can I get that deal?

Also, is that a harbinger of a body price drop soon?

@unfocused

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Upvote 0

ColorBlindBat

CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
So what does that mean? HAHAHA.. where can I get that deal?

Also, is that a harbinger of a body price drop soon?

@unfocused

VICYASA,

It is cpricewatch.com, but the deal has already sold out. A few weeks ago, they had the same kit for $2249.

Note, everything sold through them comes from authorized USA/Canada dealers.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
@VICYASA, funny timing here. Today Canon Price Watch announced a street price special on the R and 24-105 L lens for $2,300. The lens retails for around $1,000 so that's a great price for the pair.
That's a great deal. I paid $2,799 without the adapter in July 2019. Paid $100 for the basic adapter.

Upvote 0