Review: Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM by TDP

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Bryan at The-Digital-Picture has completed his review of the brand new Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM, a lens that will take the place of the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM for the RF lineup.
Bryan came away super impressed with the lens.

The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens set the bar very high, but the Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM Lens has cleared it. Only six years after the EF 100-400 L II was released, the Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM Lens is on the streets. Featuring a lighter weight and longer focal length range, this lens surpasses the impressive predecessor in many regards and gained immediate strong popularity. This lens and I are going to spend a lot of time together...

Continue reading...

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I received this lens early last week and it is an exceptionally versatile lens for wildlife photography. On an R5 with the available 17 MP APS-C crop I have a 800 mm field of view at the long end. Overall the combination makes for a lightweight flexible zoom that with the full frame and APS-C crop I can have a 100-800 mm field of view at my disposal without having to change a lens in the field. I now only hope that Canon releases a 500 mm f4 DO lens in the RF mount within the next 1-2 years.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I received this lens early last week and it is an exceptionally versatile lens for wildlife photography. On an R5 with the available 17 MP APS-C crop I have a 800 mm field of view at the long end. Overall the combination makes for a lightweight flexible zoom that with the full frame and APS-C crop I can have a 100-800 mm field of view at my disposal without having to change a lens in the field. I now only hope that Canon releases a 500 mm f4 DO lens in the RF mount within the next 1-2 years.
How does that crop mode work? It seems to me that its just taking an APS-c sized chunk out of the middle of the image, and not doing any pixel magic/downsampling. So really, you're not gaining anything 'reach' wise vs. just zooming in on the same section of the full image. Or am I not understanding what the camera is actually doing?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I can crop even further in post and get a 4,000mm field of view. Never change a lens. Looks like crap, though. ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Isn't a big advantage of crop mode found in the OVF. The tighter field of view enlarges the subject in the OVF. This aids tracking and focusing.

But also discards the 'buffer' around the edges when panning with a subject.

As for the lens, looks impressive but why start at 100mm? A 200-500 could have been even sharper and fitted nicely above the 70-200. I usually have a 1.4 on my 100-400 and seldom need to take it off. Just change to a wider lens when needed.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
But also discards the 'buffer' around the edges when panning with a subject.

As for the lens, looks impressive but why start at 100mm? A 200-500 could have been even sharper and fitted nicely above the 70-200. I usually have a 1.4 on my 100-400 and seldom need to take it off. Just change to a wider lens when needed.
How do you know a 200-500 designed by Canon would be sharper? How do you know?.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
How does that crop mode work? It seems to me that its just taking an APS-c sized chunk out of the middle of the image, and not doing any pixel magic/downsampling. So really, you're not gaining anything 'reach' wise vs. just zooming in on the same section of the full image. Or am I not understanding what the camera is actually doing?

It works well - you just have to be really careful how you compose when you're shooting because you won't have much to work with when you get the image into post.

I was experimenting with it on my EOS-R and I prefer it over the on and off again of the 1.4X III. I've decided that I prefer the image from my naked 100-400L II over the greater reach when using the 1.4X III.

I'm programming one of my three custom spots for the crop mode and keeping the 1.4X III at the ready for the instances where I think I need the full resolution.

For birding - when I need that little bit of extra reach for a perched or slow moving subject I think the crop mode will be the superior option given the f-stop alternative of the 1.4X.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
The problem is that with B&H I save the sales tax of 8.25% ($200) and that's keeping me waiting.

Ditto. Pre-ordered from B&H this morning.. $2549 and no tax. Between my R5, Grip, Battery, CFExpress card, and this lens, B&H has saved me $960 in discounts and tax.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
But that is exactly how crop cameras work, so why/how would there be “any pixel magic/downsampling”?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
This lens won’t be as popular as the 100-400 mk1 and 2... because of this huge price step again....
I can buy the mk2 for ~1300€ in 2nd market and for around 2k€ new. Sometimes with cashback of 200+€.

yeah it’s sharp, light but not that bright as I espected. Maybe for 1500€ but not for >3.000€!

Upvote 0