Is the ultimate astro lens coming? Another RF 14-21mm f/1.4L USM mention [CR2]

There are other astro image processing apps out there such as PixInsight, Astro Pixel Processor, and DeepSkyStacker (free) that are excellent for stacking and automatically align the images. It won't help for quickly changing phenomena like an Aurora, but for Milky Way panoramas and other star photos, they can be very powerful. Admittedly, I haven't used them for panoramas that include a (moving) horizon, but I use PixInsight quite a bit for astrophotography. Stacking hundreds of images is easy.
Are there any free stacking programs for Mac? Starstax is the only one I know and I don't think that it stacks wide angle shots well ie the stars in the corners of wide angle shots

Upvote 0
Splitting hairs.....
An astronomer is a scientist in the field of astronomy who focuses their studies on a specific question or field outside the scope of Earth. They observe astronomical objects such as stars, planets, moons, comets and galaxies – in either observational (by analyzing the data) or theoretical astronomy. Examples of topics or fields astronomers study include planetary science, solar astronomy, the origin or evolution of stars, or the formation of galaxies. Related but distinct subjects like physical cosmology, which studies the Universe as a whole

There are astronomers in the group but they are into deep field astronomy (Ha/filtered spectrum, telescope mounted, long exposure/ EQ mounts, cooled sensors). This lens would mostly suit astro-landscapers to include earthly foreground elements for context and relatable interest.

Then again, the first thing that everyone does with a big white is shoot the moon :)

Same goes for astrologers. :alien:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Are there any free stacking programs for Mac? Starstax is the only one I know and I don't think that it stacks wide angle shots well ie the stars in the corners of wide angle shots

There are free ones for Mac, but there are a lot more for PC users. CloudyNights.com is a good source/forum to learn more.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Hmm....I mentioned above that a Sherpa would be additional...hmmm...are your rates reasonable? You sound like the right guy! ...This thing, if it’s real...will be a monster! LOL!
Ha, I'm very expensive and mediocre at the job haha. Usually my pack weight for camping/photography is in the territory of 55-70 lbs, so if I can cut a few pounds here or there or reduce the number of things I need to keep track of, I'm all ears! Unfortunately with the camera gear being the lion's share of the weight, the choice is bring less or spend a lot more. Since I'm already mapping out a transition from EF to R mount, I'm trying to weigh my options (pun intended) for the best fit.

But yes, this may cut out a lens, but I'm not sure the total weight will come down, so it may not be a perfect match. We'll see!

Upvote 0
There are other astro image processing apps out there such as PixInsight, Astro Pixel Processor, and DeepSkyStacker (free) that are excellent for stacking and automatically align the images. It won't help for quickly changing phenomena like an Aurora, but for Milky Way panoramas and other star photos, they can be very powerful. Admittedly, I haven't used them for panoramas that include a (moving) horizon, but I use PixInsight quite a bit for astrophotography. Stacking hundreds of images is easy.
Thanks, I'll have a peek! A software solution would be a welcome one - the distortion on the rokinon is really challenging for stacking in most software I've tried, but for panoramas I've found PTGui was able to figure it out. Thanks again

Upvote 0
There are free ones for Mac, but there are a lot more for PC users. CloudyNights.com is a good source/forum to learn more.
They suggested Starry Landscape Stacker which is ~USD50 from the Mac app store. There is a trial version which I will try but it is a lot for occasional use.
One interesting comment was
"There is no stacking software that can handle the geometric displacements across the field shooting a 14mm lens beyond 5-8 images....it's impossible..It's not the coma that's the problem. You need to shoot a pano with a ~35mm lens, stack, and reduce to size.... "

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Ha, I'm very expensive and mediocre at the job haha. Usually my pack weight for camping/photography is in the territory of 55-70 lbs, so if I can cut a few pounds here or there or reduce the number of things I need to keep track of, I'm all ears! Unfortunately with the camera gear being the lion's share of the weight, the choice is bring less or spend a lot more. Since I'm already mapping out a transition from EF to R mount, I'm trying to weigh my options (pun intended) for the best fit.

But yes, this may cut out a lens, but I'm not sure the total weight will come down, so it may not be a perfect match. We'll see!
I am old...so...for FF Star-chasing my car just has to be near by ....I don’t mind sleeping in it ...as long as I get the photo!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From reading the patent, lens length is slightly over 200 mm and width of the first element is about 86 mm (plus or minus a few tenths of a mm). That is getting in to the size range of the EF 11-24/4. Expect the weight to be similar.

Interestingly, there is also a 12-20/2 listed in the patent. Similar in size. These are all RF lenses.

The patents are very detailed and include curvature formulas for the aspheric elements. That front element is quite spectacular. Apparently, a key element is the second to the last, element OE. It is of a resin material and said to be quite difficult to manufacture. Being sandwiched between two glass elements is said to stabilize it. Similar to the goo of the 35/1.4 L ii?

Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
Try a engine to rotate the camera like the earth... to get better results.
I got bored by this 14mm f/2.8 pictures, the resolution is not good enough. For stars you need the absolute entry pupil - 14mm/2.8 is 5mm like the one in your eye. Even this 14mm f/1.4 will be "only" 10mm.
You see much more stars with a 35mm/2 (17,5mm pupil) with rotation so you can expose for more than 10seconds. Its quite good for milky way anyway - yes you don't get a 100° degree angle / band of the milky way, but quite enough for great results.

14mm: 35mm: 135mm:
With 135mm f/2 (67mm pupil!) this is shocking how much stars you can see forming the "cloudy band".

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Is anyone else glad they can see uses for this lens beyond Astro? Honestly, Astro isn’t even one of my check boxes. ;) Vignette? I love vignette!

I said it in my last comment, but I really think a big selling point for a lens like this would be sports. Most sports photogs I know swear by the 16-35 and 14-24 f/2.8, and this would be a whole two stops faster. At the end of a football game, you could put this over your head with the flip-down screen and shoot hail-mary shots at F/1.4

I recently saw a tutorial on using AF face detection focus on a remote camera to take F/1.4 portraits of foxes, and I was totally blown away. You could totally use a 14mm f/1.4 with facial tracking to take crazy f/1.4 bokeh shots from behind a basketball backboard or from the racetrack in track and field events, and end up with wide shots that actually have beautiful bokeh.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
H. Jones: Having had a similar job many, many years ago, I would have sold my soul to the Devil for such a lens. To be able to insert your lens (and by default, the viewer) in to the scene, yet blur out the background enough to abstract the details, would be wonderful. Night skies would be an added benefit. Of course, I would have had to take a second mortgage on my soul to buy a couple of R5's.

Upvote 0
I think it'll come in at just under $3K, probably same price as the 28-70
I think that is a dream.
The difference in price will be a 10x or 15x one. Why not try to save 1.3 stops by using the Sigma 14mm 1.8?
See its review at:

I have that lens and would happily pay 2x the current cost of the Sigma 14mm f1.8 (or a bit more) for the Canon rumored lens if is has decent control of comma, CA, etc. As mentioned previously the extra light is always welcome as it allows you to lower ISO or stop down to eliminate comma.

A zoom would also be awesome as you don't always want to shoot at 14mm. I also have the Sigma 24mm f1.4 and it is great for tighter shots of just the galactic core, etc. The ability to compose between these two ranges would be awesome.

I shoot next to a Nikon shooter that has the 14-24mm f2.8. I am jealous of his ability to zoom and compose and he is jealous of my ability to lower ISO or shot duration to get a similar shot. Aren't we all jealous of what we don't have. I sent him this article and he said he might switch camera manufacturers for this lens. He has shot Nikon for 30 years!

I don't shoot Aurora (but planned to before Covid and still hope to) but I can imagine it would be quite helpful for that as well.

Bob

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I think that is a dream.

I have that lens and would happily pay 2x the current cost of the Sigma 14mm f1.8 (or a bit more) for the Canon rumored lens if is has decent control of comma, CA, etc. As mentioned previously the extra light is always welcome as it allows you to lower ISO or stop down to eliminate comma.

A zoom would also be awesome as you don't always want to shoot at 14mm. I also have the Sigma 24mm f1.4 and it is great for tighter shots of just the galactic core, etc. The ability to compose between these two ranges would be awesome.

I shoot next to a Nikon shooter that has the 14-24mm f2.8. I am jealous of his ability to zoom and compose and he is jealous of my ability to lower ISO or shot duration to get a similar shot. Aren't we all jealous of what we don't have. I sent him this article and he said he might switch camera manufacturers for this lens. He has shot Nikon for 30 years!

I don't shoot Aurora (but planned to before Covid and still hope to) but I can imagine it would be quite helpful for that as well.

Bob
I guess we always want what we do not have. Can I ask you your impression on Sigma. As I have already written I have seen flare from moon (not 100% of course but I do not remember details) while that not being on frame. But when I shot lights at my house I didn't see any! Strange! Maybe it had to do with the angle of the light and that big bulbous element...

Upvote 0