Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C70, to be announced this week.

Can we agree to ban the first person that says "No IBIS?" "It's DOA", "Canon cripple hammer" ? Or any combination of those, please? Before commenting please remember that no C-Line cameras have IBIS (that I know of).

Lol. I think what the desire for is a bridge between R and Cinema — a non-weather-sealed, video-first hybrid camera versus the weather-sealed, stills-first hybrid R5/6.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Arod820

Camera Operator
Sep 19, 2018
Miami
Where is the monitor?!

You can’t pull focus on a flippy screen...
Regardless if it has a fixed or a flip out monitor, you’re probably going to need an external monitor for good focus pulling. I’m still not a fan of the form factor but I’m going to be putting it on a handheld/shoulder rig most of the time. Looks like there’s a hinge by the fan, hopefully that’s for audio controls.

Upvote 0
Place your bets now on what EOSHD will find has been crippled on this camera..... Why no 24bit? Why no 3600 fps? Why only 4K and not 24K? Why does it have big vents in it that spiders can crawl in to?

I'm really looking forward to the lunacy that comes streaking from that outhouse fire.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Okay, this looks pretty great, and may keep me from buying a Sony A7SIII. I'm seriously considering the Sony because its specs are fantastic, but migrating away from Canon to an entirely different lens mount is keeping me from pulling the trigger.
I pulled the trigger on the A7S3 launch day. But I’m not migrating away. I’ll simply add the Sony. I also plan on getting the Canon... unless there is something stupid that ruins the C70? I had the R5 and shoot enough video that the overheating problems made the shooting experience worrisome. And this was after I ungraded to version 1.1.1. Hopefully this C70 is the baby C300Mk3 that we all hope for. I have a substantial collection of RF glass so this would be a no brainer for me.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
If this camera is below 3,000$ it is an insta buy for me. If it is 4,000$ I gotta sell a few things, more than that? Well, that would be a different story.

Seriously waiting on the release of this as I will be making some serious changes if that is the case. Who wants to buy a camera? LOL!
Early rumors where $6k... of course the less the better. But this is Canon, so don’t be surprised if the initial rumors are closer to the actual price.

Upvote 0

SpaceGhost

Canon 1DX
Jul 19, 2012
Texas
I still do not understand why Canon cannot take the R5 and put the internals inside a body like this which is larger to give better cooling options and audio inputs. I would pay the same like a 1 series body for it. Hell, I would go as high as $10k!

We all know the answer. "Reasons!" and most have to do with protecting the cinema line.

I just hate that this is the slow introduction of APS-C to the RF mount (okay... super 35 but you get my point).

I just hope that the C70 will have at least eye detect. I may not be shooting "cinema" but I shoot video and it would be worth it.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
I just hope that the C70 will have at least eye detect.
There is no legitimate excuse for not having IAF in all the cinema cameras. No disrespect to CR guy but budgets out side of Holywood aren't what they used to be and crews are getting smaller. ( Covid will decimate Holywood budgets ass well) If IBIS allows you to skip futzing with the gimbal then you can shoot a lot more in a day. For certain kinds of shooting IAF is even better than a dedicated focus puller. I didn't say all I said certain kinds.

Upvote 0
So with the C50 and C70 are we going to see a C30 or C90? The Cinema EF Series is the C100, C200, C300, C500, and C700. Are we assuming with the C50 and C70 that these are the RF equivalents of the EF cameras? Meaning that the C70 will be the top of the line and C50? Very confusing what the naming of the scheme of the cinema line RF series would be.

Upvote 0