Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C70, to be announced this week.

It looks like they tried to copy Blackmagic's first production camera. Ugly. Does it have a viewfinder?
That's my question too. I'm still working with my c100MKii and could do with a resolution upgrade, but my most beloved feature of the Eos cinema line is strangely the viewfinder and form factor. Shooting handheld, with your eye up to the adjustable angle, large, clear viewfinder just works so well for handheld work and has been the main delight of the c100mkii for me. I'm really hoping that this c70 allows for the use of the bolt on viewfinder unit similar to the c300mkiii. Very exciting!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yeah mate, that is exactly why Canon implemented superior electronic IS in it's cinema line.
The "No IBIS" sentiment is pure ego. These same people cried "I don't need no autofocus, I'm a pro. Only amateurs use AF."
And of course, AF is now considered a core and necessary feature of every camera, including video and cinema.
Apparently the ego can get so big that it can't figure out how to turn off IBIS, so it can pretend to be better than everything and everyone.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Isnt lens based stabilization far superior to IBIS... I dont see an issue because the RF lenses have it. What am I missing?
Lens IS cannot correct for roll, and the combination of lens and sensor IS gives 5 dimensional IS and much greater stability than either one alone. Canon claims 8 stops on the R5 when both are used with the new RF lenses.

Upvote 0
I’m telling you, this camera is going to be a massive home-run if, and only if, it doesn’t use H.265 as it’s main codec. I know the R5 does, but the C300 Mark III uses the wonderful, broadcast friendly, easily editable codec. Here’s hoping!!!
You are absolutely right, I have the R5 and the only thing I don’t like about the camera is the codec. Overheating isn’t even an issue after the 1.1.0 update. That damn codec has to be converted in ProRes before I can even review it on my computer. My MacPro can play back the RAW footage but not that H.265 which blows my mind.

I want the c70 the only thing that will hold me back from purchasing is if it has the same codec as the R5. I am willing to deal with the R5 because damn that image is beautiful but converting two codecs after a long day of shooting will be a nightmare.

Anyhow here’s to hoping canon gives a good codec on this guy. I have a ninja recorder but like a compact setup. It makes life so much easier but harder to shoot. Anyhow just give us a good codec and this camera will sell.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
You are absolutely right, I have the R5 and the only thing I don’t like about the camera is the codec. Overheating isn’t even an issue after the 1.1.0 update. That damn codec has to be converted in ProRes before I can even review it on my computer. My MacPro can play back the RAW footage but not that H.265 which blows my mind.
Thats weird, we use decently speced PCs and the playback and editing of the video files from the R5 is realy fluent (in all modes, including 4k50, 4khq...)
RAW is a bit of a hussle though, its playing back in Resolve, but not realy good in premiere and both programs keep on crashing fairly often...

Upvote 0
Does the right handle look separatated as in it can rotate? Is there a top lcd or does it look like a built in hot shoe?

what lens is attached to the image?
A closer look at the lines of the body, excuse my terrible scrawl, seems to show that this handle is perhaps built into the body more like a dslr.
I also noticed what seems to be a dslr style on/off switch next to the record button and a separate dial on the top left. Bit of a shame as the revolving dial next to the record button on the cinema handgrip was excellent, clearly I will not be buying one of these now, the whole thing is ruined!!
Im guessing the square nodules on the input 1 and 2 flaps are to stop them opening too far and covering the vent when in use?
Definitely getting one of these, although I clearly have too much time on my hands, studying fuzzy jpegs and not shooting, so maybe noteosc70_notate.jpg!

Upvote 0
Thats weird, we use decently speced PCs and the playback and editing of the video files from the R5 is realy fluent (in all modes, including 4k50, 4khq...)
RAW is a bit of a hussle though, its playing back in Resolve, but not realy good in premiere and both programs keep on crashing fairly often...

it is weird I almost feel like I’m missing a codec on my machine. I have downloaded and installed all the canon software for the R5. I update FCPX regularly. They play in FCPx but super choppy, but will not play natively on my machine at all via QuickTime. I haven’t had any crashes during editing everything was running really slow so now I just convert everything to prores.

any tips or tricks would be helpful. I haven’t spent a ton of time trying to make the clips play.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
it is weird I almost feel like I’m missing a codec on my machine. I have downloaded and installed all the canon software for the R5. I update FCPX regularly. They play in FCPx but super choppy, but will not play natively on my machine at all via QuickTime. I haven’t had any crashes during editing everything was running really slow so now I just convert everything to prores.

any tips or tricks would be helpful. I haven’t spent a ton of time trying to make the clips play.
Hm I am afraid I cant realy help here. Tried another player like VLC?
We dont use FCP since we are on PC. Premiere is in general less performant than Davinci Resolve. Resolve plays back everyting pretty good (though its in general VERY buggy and got a very bad scaling on 4k screens >.<)

But we also use Atomos Ninja Recorder pretty often - they offer ProRes and the Cam wont overheat ever, which is great =)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
A closer look at the lines of the body, excuse my terrible scrawl, seems to show that this handle is perhaps built into the body more like a dslr.
I also noticed what seems to be a dslr style on/off switch next to the record button and a separate dial on the top left. Bit of a shame as the revolving dial next to the record button on the cinema handgrip was excellent, clearly I will not be buying one of these now, the whole thing is ruined!!
Im guessing the square nodules on the input 1 and 2 flaps are to stop them opening too far and covering the vent when in use?
Definitely getting one of these, although I clearly have too much time on my hands, studying fuzzy jpegs and not shooting, so maybe notView attachment 192915!
Excellent drawing :-D
I agree on the "flow of body". I also guess its not a side handle but rather one solid body. Appears to be more likely on a body this size.
Also the dial looks like a dial to me, but my be a switch as well.
But the on/off switch looks certainly like another dial to me.
Time will tell.

I must say I am interested in this body. If the price is lower than what I can get for my S1H I may switch this camera to get fully back to canon. The S1H got EXCELENT low light performance (I never saw an image that clean at ISO 4000!). But its missing AF is a shame. Also the image looks pretty different to the R5 image and requires quite some grading to match. May be better to stick to one brand...

Upvote 0
That refers to stills application though, not video.
The simultaneous use of both lens and sensor IS can give video stabilization near the level of a professional gimble. That is massively powerful, even on large projects, because pro-gimbals are large and unwieldy and can't get into tight places.
A tool is a tool. It is only ego and lack of imagination that causes someone to ridicule and reject a new tool.

Upvote 0
The "No IBIS" sentiment is pure ego. These same people cried "I don't need no autofocus, I'm a pro. Only amateurs use AF."
And of course, AF is now considered a core and necessary feature of every camera, including video and cinema.
Apparently the ego can get so big that it can't figure out how to turn off IBIS, so it can pretend to be better than everything and everyone.
Yeah, I don't get it too. IBIS, AF etc. – these are all tools. It's better if it's up to you to choose whether to use them or not, than manufacturer to leave them out.

RF Glass paired with IBIS, AF and Full Frame are the main appeal of RF-mount at the moment, wish there was a camera that had all three and could film video reliably.

P.S.: looks like this camera has an EVF hump, but I doubt there will be an EVF inside ...

Also as I suggested before those exposed screws around the mount might point to interchangeable mount or integration of upcoming Canon RF adapters / speedboosters.

I wonder if the BP-A battery will stick out from the back as with latest C500 & C300 ... hope not!

P.P.S.: don't know why people don't like the shape of the camera, I think it looks inspiringly functional. Hope the back won't let us down as well!

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Sony cameras do overheat, you just dont know it because of firmware bypass.
If the camera was actually overheating, bad things would happen... freezes, glitches and ultimately bricked devices. The firmware bypass is merely a thermal management profile. Of course overheating is possible in any cameras (including cinema cameras) under the right conditions. The Canon C200 specifically mentioned avoiding placing the camera near bright lighting equipment on set, as it could cause heat issues in the camera, damaging the sensor and other components.
I’m not expecting to have overheating issues with the Sony. I fully expect it to run without issue throughout my normal, not particularly stressful shoots. The R5 did consistently overheat, under similar non-stressful conditions. Canon claims it’s a limitation of the cameras, and frankly I understand and concluded it’s not the camera for me. I’m fully expecting the C70 to perform on par with all the other Canon cinema bodies in regards to heat management. I’ll have the Sony for occasions that require weather sealing (light rain etc...). The reason I want the Canon C70 is so I can put my collection of RF glass to use (gave away my Eos R)... and for that wonderful DGO sensor... which I hope does indeed make its way into this camera. Would be lovely to find this body is full frame... but it’s probably S35 like the rumors suggest.

Upvote 0