Canon EOS M50 Mark II Specifications [CR2]

Apr 25, 2011
The iPhone has had some sort of optical stabilization under gyroscopic control since about iPhone 6.
It's not IBIS, as far as I know.

Mostly all of the smartphones, which deserve being called smartphones.
Isn't that an instance of No True Scotsman fallacy?

But anyway, any example?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
What even is IBIS on a smartphone? Its not like lens and sensor are really two different parts of the camera. I believe in some models, the entire assembly moves, rather than just the lens or just the sensor.

Anyway, some Pixel devices have it. Most iPhones.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kit Chan

EOS M6 II
Sep 7, 2020
Very simple to classify the M body:

1. m50 mark 2: 8 bit 4K 60p, no ibis, no clean hdmi out for external recording. use webcam utility to grab clean image for webmeetkng or livestreaming.

2. m6 mark 2: 4K 30p internal,no ibis, clean hdmi for external 10bit 4:2:2 recording.

3. rumored m7: flagship, 4K 60p 4:2:0 , ibis, clean hdmi out for external 10 bit 4:2:2 recording. log file and HLG supported.
I would expect M50 mk2 to have clean HDMI.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
What even is IBIS on a smartphone?
It's when the sensor moves w.r.t the mainboard.

Its not like lens and sensor are really two different parts of the camera.
You could say the same about any fixed-lens camera. Still, as far as I know, all of them that have IS have it in the lens.

I believe in some models, the entire assembly moves, rather than just the lens or just the sensor.
Isn't the entire camera assembly firmly soldered to a fixed camera module PCB (if not directly to the mainboard) in smartphones?

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
What even is IBIS on a smartphone? Its not like lens and sensor are really two different parts of the camera. I believe in some models, the entire assembly moves, rather than just the lens or just the sensor.

Anyway, some Pixel devices have it. Most iPhones.

There is definitely ibis in phones. If you see a big camera bump, ibis is in there. You can hear a audible shake many times.

Upvote 0
I am astounded at how, all of the sudden IBIS is an absolute must-have for so many people. I guess Canon's pre R5 and R6 models must have all been worthless.

This is the frigging M50 we are talking about here; it's one step above entry level (M100/200). It sells for something like 600 bucks. What the hell do you expect?

It's like for the last few years many would consider a camera a piece of junk if it didn't shoot 4K, yet even today huge numbers of people still shoot 1080p with camera's that have 4K! LOL
In my opinion today there is really a low percentage of people that actually work and process 4K video's.
For me as a mostly landscape and nature photographer, IBIS is like 4K, a novelty.....

Upvote 0

Isn't that an instance of No True Scotsman fallacy?

But anyway, any example?

I prefer True Scotch whiskey instead of your No True Scotsman fallacy! :cool:

Maybe you should stop nitpicking. Image stabilisation uses multiple techniques, SW, HW, combination. Lens, sensor:

Situation is identical with the smartphones. Most call it OIS. Getting data from gyroscope, the whole compartment of the lens is moved, whatever "lens" means in terms of smartphones. Some (as Oppo), move the sensor ... but - for me, is is still an In body Image Stabilisation, HW related.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
You could say the same about any fixed-lens camera. Still, as far as I know, all of them that have IS have it in the lens.
I mainly find it odd to think of a smartphone camera the same way as an ILC. As Smartphones are a single piece, even if the lens moves, it is still 'In body' in a sense to me.

Nonetheless, if you are asking about a smartphone that has a moving sensor, I can't provide an example. I believe to have seen a video of an entire module being moved for stabilization, rather than just the lens or sensor. But, I can't find it, so maybe that was just things getting mixed up or not an actual product.
There is definitely ibis in phones. If you see a big camera bump, ibis is in there. You can hear a audible shake many times.
The presence of noise does not mean that the sensor moves. It can just as well be the lens, which appears to be the norm based on a bit of research I just did.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
It's like for the last few years many would consider a camera a piece of junk if it didn't shoot 4K, yet even today huge numbers of people still shoot 1080p with camera's that have 4K! LOL
In my opinion today there is really a low percentage of people that actually work and process 4K video's.
For me as a mostly landscape and nature photographer, IBIS is like 4K, a novelty.....
I don't shoot much video, but if I'm using my iPhone or G5X II, I'll shoot 4K and edit in FCP X. Even though my computer is 6 years old, it handles 4K just fine. I don't think I've ever used 4K as my final output, other than as a test for my own consumption. I'd rather use the computer software for zooming and cropping than baking it in with the phone's digital zoom. And of course I have the same option with the camera if I want to go beyond what optical zoom I used. And for both, having a wider view and extra pixels gives more options for stabilization effects. But I don't choose either device over my DSLR if it is available, even though it doesn't shoot 4K, except for time lapse.

I think the G5X II uses optical IS. Additional video IS comes through the crop method. For stills, I found whatever IS was at work to be impressive. I took handheld shots at dark from our balcony on a moving ship as we left Venice. They came out rather sharp. Of course bright lights shining in a dark scene tend to spread, so it is hard to tell how much their appearance is from that and how much from camera motion. Pixel peeping is not impressive, but more from noise in the darkest areas than from motion. I plan to get around to making one or more 13" x 19" prints, and they should come out OK.

Upvote 0
Ibis in smartphones : one tech preview from Oppo 2016, one rumor for apple 2020, but still no actual product.

Upvote 0
There is nothing wrong with 'quality' 1080p footage. Look at the Arri cameras, their 1080p it's beautiful. Where as some smartphone can record in 8k and it's totally garbage if you compare it to Arri 1080p.

However IMO most Canon DSLR 1080p footage is extremely soft and mushy (even with the sharpest lenses available). Okay for a vlog to hide imperfections on your skin. Not something I want personally when I make something like a nature video, where I want the details and colors to pop more. This is why I would like to have a Canon camera with 4k as it does a much better job in showing details and better color reproduction. If Canon could improve their 1080p footage that's totally fine for me. The only thing I care about is the end result not if it has the label 1080p or 4k.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Your answer of course makes sense. But it is difficult to accept for me, if there are no other models to have IBIS with? Of course if it would be clear, that the M5 II or the M6 III are in the pipeline or at least planned, I would not bring up the argument. So once again, I will patiently wait, as I did with the R and RP and now I can collect the money to get R5 for our wedding business, which finally has the features I wished for.
He also makes the assumption that IBIS is expensive. I don't think anyone here has any idea what it costs.

Upvote 0