R5/R6 Camera defect reports (no hype or wish lists please)

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Wanted to start a thread for legit R5/R6 camera issues or defects, not speculations or complaints/wish lists about the design. Please don't complain about video times or other design wishes here as there are a million threads and sites for that. I'm hoping we can collect actual potential manufacturing defects from people who own the camera in this thread. To start off those I am aware of:

1) I know one poster here cannot get the intervalometer to work no matter what he tried, and was going to send off for repair at Canon's suggestion. EDIT: apparently Ramage below has an answer, remapping focus button causes the issue, Canon is aware and will fix in firmware.

2) For my R5, I have gone night shooting and found several bright red stuck/hot pixels on the sensor that become evident when exposures are set for slow shutter >1s, ISO >800, apertures are F4 or larger. Combining multiple low light exposure settings make them brightest (high ISO + wide apertures + slowest shutters) but any one setting when cranked enough will produce them.

These hot pixels show on both EVF and LCD screen, so is definitely the sensor pixels. A few of them twinkle which is odd, perhaps high ISO NR and exposure preview working together. The stuck pixels do not make it into images, but I have not tested with high ISO NR off or made sure LR or photoshop isn't taking care of them.

For all Canon cameras, cleaning the sensor manually typically remaps or attempts to shut off stuck pixels upon power down, but failed to help at all here. Walked through it again with Canon Service rep just to be thorough, no joy. My R5 also has several lesser spots of dimmer red, green or blue pixels, perhaps 10 defects total.

Canon support has been great as usual, and is taking care of the problem with a warranty repair and shipping. I hear I should bne out of a camera for about a week, no biggie as I have a 5D4 and no jobs or hobby trips planned right now with the awful smoke in the area. Hopefully the next sensor is better- I can deal with a couple dim bad pixels but not so many bright ones, plus over time usually a sensor develops a couple more, so to start with several isn't great. For high MP sensors it is normal to have a few bad pixels eventually, but the two spots of several bright red pixels both myself and Canon agree is not normal for a new camera to have.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Aug 27, 2019
1) I know one poster here cannot get the intervalometer to work no matter what he tried, and was going to send off for repair at Canon's suggestion.

The timer will not take pictures if the user has remapped the focus button from the shutter button(Back Button focus). Returning it to default "fixes" the issue. Will be fixed in firmware update for sure.

R5: Dual Card Recording
I have had some odd behavior around the Dual Cards where the Camera defaults to the lower buffer of the SD card and trying to map Card 1 as the Default after pulling the SD card has the Camera report that there is no Card in the Camera. The Dual Card record menu was designed by an Engineer for sure:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
My camera locked up/freezes about 1x/day when I was in Alaska shooting ~6000 shots/day with it. Each time it would restart by turning it off or more likely, by removing and reinserting the battery. This is even while using a EF Express card. Couldn't id any consistent cause. Sometimes I thought maybe it was more frequent when I was using the eye tracking with IS at 400 on the 100-400 lens, but not sure.
Catherine

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I've experienced inconsistent behavior of the "Switch to Custom shooting mode" customization function when I map it to the M-Fn button. This is likely just a simple firmware bug, but I've tried everything and I can't figure it out...

Anyway, I have the M-Fn button customized to "Switch to Custom shooting mode" in order to quickly cycle through my 3 Custom shooting modes (C1, C2, & C3) and whatever "regular" mode (Fv, P, Tv, etc.) I was in previously. If I use the M-Fn button to switch to a Custom shooting mode and while in that custom shooting mode I record some video (by pressing the "Movie shooting button" (or any other button that is mapped to "Movie recording"), and then try to use the M-Fn button again to cycle through the various shooting modes, then, only the 3 Custom modes are available -- after shooting some video, the "regular" mode (Fv, Tv, Av, etc.) that I was last using is no longer displayed as an option. The only way to return to "regular" (non-custom) shooting is by pressing the Mode button. This does not happen if I just shoot stills while in a Custom mode -- if I just shoot stills while in the Custom mode, the M-Fn button will cycle through all the modes as expected. Only after shooting some video is the "Switch to Custom shooting mode" limited to just the 3 Custom modes...

Also, if I select a Custom shooting mode after having pressed the (default) Mode button, the M-Fn button (mapped to "Switch to Custom shooting mode") again does not offer the "regular" shooting mode as an option.

And no, this behavior doesn't appear to have anything to do whether "Restrict shooting modes" is on or off or how "Restrict shooting modes" is configured...

Now if this is not a "bug" but is instead some kind'a "feature" somebody let me know what's going on! I guess it could be user-error, but said user really did try to plow through that tome of a manual...

I just had a horrible thought... What if having the "regular" (original) shooting mode selectable in my customized M-Fn button is the bug! If that's the case, PLEASE nobody tell Canon! I like it just the way it is!

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I think I have two:
1. EOS R5 Charger makes a high pitched sound. Canon has confirmed this is not normal and has sent a replacement (not received).
2. The body itself intermittently becomes "possessed". The menu screens start flickering and the camera starts scrolling through the menus on its own though no buttons or screens are being touched. The issue is intermittent. I created a thread for it here, and was able to capture the very weird behavior in a couple of video clips (links in the second post): https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...-flickers-and-changes-menus-on-its-own.39195/

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Dpickup

R5
Jul 9, 2012
UK
Wireless / bluetooth drives me nuts.
love the FTP feature, as every time i get back it aut loads all the pictures onto my NAS, but then getting camer connect app to control it remotel seems impossible.
reset it several times and if i don’t set FTP then i can get bluetooth to work, but i don’t seem to be able to get both.
just about given up now and resigned it now.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
1. Images are blurred when using the mechanical shutter at shutter speeds between approximately 1/100 and 1/160

2. For me, eye AF is inaccurate when using single shot AF mode. At least 2 times out of 10 it will hit an eyebrow or an ear instead of the eye.

For 1, is 1/80 ok but 1/100 is blurry?

For 2, do you full-press shutter already when focusing, or do you half-press and then press full down after the AF confirmation is achieved?

Upvote 0

digigal

CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
My camera locked up/freezes about 1x/day when I was in Alaska shooting ~6000 shots/day with it. Each time it would restart by turning it off or more likely, by removing and reinserting the battery. This is even while using a EF Express card. Couldn't id any consistent cause. Sometimes I thought maybe it was more frequent when I was using the eye tracking with IS at 400 on the 100-400 lens, but not sure.
Catherine
I solved that issue. I had accidentally put in an SD card that was an XC 1 instead of an XC II and once I put the faster card in that solved the problem. Whew!
Catherine

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
For 1, is 1/80 ok but 1/100 is blurry?

For 2, do you full-press shutter already when focusing, or do you half-press and then press full down after the AF confirmation is achieved?
1. I haven't specifically tried 1/80.. but 1/50 was totally fine and 1/250 was also totally fine. The problem was most obvious at 1/125 for me.

2. I half press the shutter and then press fully down only after AF confirmation. This is the same way I have shot with every camera for the last 10 years. It's also the same way I shoot when using the spot AF mode.. and hit rate with that mode is pretty much 100%. Eye-Af is just very hit and miss for me.. even when shooting at f4 it will hit an ear or an eyebrow. I would say hit rate is about 80% with Eye AF.. so I just don't use it

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
1. I haven't specifically tried 1/80.. but 1/50 was totally fine and 1/250 was also totally fine. The problem was most obvious at 1/125 for me.

2. I half press the shutter and then press fully down only after AF confirmation. This is the same way I have shot with every camera for the last 10 years. It's also the same way I shoot when using the spot AF mode.. and hit rate with that mode is pretty much 100%. Eye-Af is just very hit and miss for me.. even when shooting at f4 it will hit an ear or an eyebrow. I would say hit rate is about 80% with Eye AF.. so I just don't use it

Interesting. Will try those when I get my camera.

Upvote 0

Number 1 seems to be caused by resonance: vibrations of many components add up at a certain frequency.

Upvote 0
Catherine

Mine does this as well. The camera will just lockup. None of the buttons will work, not even the power button. It needs to have the battery removed to return to normal. In addition, I have had it stop writing to a Sony “Tough” CF Card. It would not format or anything.Just said something like cannot write to card. Next day, good to go.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I think I have two:
1. EOS R5 Charger makes a high pitched sound. Canon has confirmed this is not normal and has sent a replacement (not received).
2. The body itself intermittently becomes "possessed". The menu screens start flickering and the camera starts scrolling through the menus on its own though no buttons or screens are being touched. The issue is intermittent. I created a thread for it here, and was able to capture the very weird behavior in a couple of video clips (links in the second post): https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...-flickers-and-changes-menus-on-its-own.39195/

I noticed my menu flickers from time to time as well, very odd.. but doesn't scroll about. Any chance you have sensitivity set to high and maybe have something not noticeable stuck on it?

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I noticed my menu flickers from time to time as well, very odd.. but doesn't scroll about. Any chance you have sensitivity set to high and maybe have something not noticeable stuck on it?
No, no chance. Canon replaced the camera with a new one that has several stuck pixels on the LCD. That one's in for repair. Some day I may get a working R5.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
No, no chance. Canon replaced the camera with a new one that has several stuck pixels on the LCD. That one's in for repair. Some day I may get a working R5.

think I figured out my flicker.. so not same as yours and likely more me being an idiot. I think when my hand brushes near the EVF that it flips briefly causing it appear to flicker. its pretty sensitive, wonder if there is a way to tune it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

digigal

CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Catherine
How do you like that--replying to yourself!?! :ROFLMAO: :unsure: :ROFLMAO: But just an update to say that my camera continues to do the same thing of intermittently freezing/locking up requiring that I remove the battery to reboot it and then it resumes like nothing ever happened. Still no special cause except it definitely is NOT associated with high speed shooting or high temperatures.
Catherine

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
How do you like that--replying to yourself!?! :ROFLMAO: :unsure: :ROFLMAO: But just an update to say that my camera continues to do the same thing of intermittently freezing/locking up requiring that I remove the battery to reboot it and then it resumes like nothing ever happened. Still no special cause except it definitely is NOT associated with high speed shooting or high temperatures.
Catherine
Definitely report it to Canon. I really doubt if there is a fix until they can isolate and duplicate the issue. They can exchange it or replace the main board, but I wonder if it will fic it. It sounds more and more like firmware.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
After 3 weeks, no lockups but I only have 119 exposures taken a few at a time. I need to get out and use it but I never find time or like now, I've been staying home due to a snowstorm. It takes me half the day to plow snow and I'm too clod to go out again after that. Everything is breaking down around home, the driveshaft for 4WD came off on my tractor, the bold holding it in place had sheared so I found a metric bolt of the same size, cut it to length and ground the end part which had to go into the inner drive shaft pilot hole. That took 2 hours. Then I used the tractor for 4 more hours with no issue. I need to find out what that shear bolt is, and get a proper one. The tractor is worthless in the snow without 4 wheel drive.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0