Well, well, well… could this be Canon’s lens roadmap for 2021? [CR2]

I'd love to see Canon make some RF f/1.4 glass along the lines of the Sigma Art 35mm/50mm/85mm prime series at competitive prices. Would that steal the market from Sigma and help Canon sell bodies? Or would that ruin their f/1.2 sales? I know it's a pipe dream, but still; one can dream :censored: .
I don’t think so, I own the 35 L 1.4 and I’m jonesing for the 1.2 version. I do a lot of full body environmental portraits and the more separation when the subject is not filling the frame the better.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

fiendstudios

CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
I was hoping for a super fast astrophotography prime or zoom thats better than 2.8.

• Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro could be interesting though
Some amazing Lenses on offer though. It'll be interesting to see what sigma brings to the table. Id rather have canons own Lenses but if sigma can do some fast wide primes or pancake lenses id snap their hands off
Yeah I was hoping for any astrolens aswell. The 14-21/1.4!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
What would be valid reasons to upgrade for those who already have something similar or even better like EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, instead of using an adaptor ?

For some, needing to have the latest and greatest. I see no compelling reasons at this time to let go of the equivalent EF glass as long as they work with the adapters I'm good. If the 600 came in at some crazy weight, like 4lbs., I'd be hard pressed not to consider it, unless it was $20k. The 135 1.4 is interesting though for some indoor sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I also suspect that we won't see a 50/1.4 for a long time, if ever, since it would hold an awkward middle ground between a nice-ish 1.8 and the luxury 1.2.

I hadn't even thought about this lens in RF until you mentioned it. I'm sure people have had mixed experiences, but I absolutely hated their EF version of the 50mm 1.4. Having at least some middle ground RF version would be amazing (Sigma has had a field day with selling theirs..), but I wouldn't be surprised if your predictions are unfortunately correct.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I don't think it is important, but I do think it is expected. It is a unique selling point that they didn't have on the EF versions.
I know Joel Grimes uses tilt shift lenses to stitch 3 frame vertical (and horizontal) panorama portraits to get incredible details in huge galkery prints. AF would be useful in portraits like that. Something as a portrait photographer I’ve been meaning to try.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

Too many lenses to be true.

That said, no IS on the 135mm? Why? I know there's IBIS, but it doesn't make sens especially when they put IS on UWA RF zooms. The latest EF 85mm f/1.4 got the IS treatment. Would have loved to see overall stabilisation be boosted +2 stops thanks to the combination of IBIS + IS. Great for night portrait w/o tripod.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

That said, no IS on the 135mm? Why? I know there's IBIS, but it doesn't make sens especially when they put IS on UWA RF zooms. The latest EF 85mm f/1.4 got the IS treatment. Would have loved to see overall stabilisation be boosted +2 stops thanks to the combination of IBIS + IS. Great for night portrait w/o tripod.

The rf 28 - 70 f2 got no IS either, and still has 8 stops of IBIS thanks to large drawing circle. This can also be the case with the new 135 f1. 4.

Lets not lose hope. May be we will miss DS feature in it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

IS on fast glass, including the 85 1.4, doesn't make that much sense; when you can already achieve fast shutter speeds, it's just less necessary. Doubly so when Canon's new bodies have IBIS. Lastly, IS adds size and weight. Mitakon's manual focus 135/1.4 already weighs over 2.5 kg --- a full kilo heavier than Canon's RF 28-70/2 monster.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'd love to see Canon make some RF f/1.4 glass along the lines of the Sigma Art 35mm/50mm/85mm prime series at competitive prices. Would that steal the market from Sigma and help Canon sell bodies? Or would that ruin their f/1.2 sales? I know it's a pipe dream, but still; one can dream :censored: .
I think their betting that those who would buy a 1.4 will pony up for the 1.2’s I know thats what I did! Can’t wait for that 32 1.2

I’m actually impressed how well balanced the weight of the 1.2’s are that I’m not yearning for the 1.4’s

Tho was hoping for the 35-85 f1.4-f1.8 zoom which doesn’t seem to be on the list.

Upvote 0