Well, well, well… could this be Canon’s lens roadmap for 2021? [CR2]

How is that possible? I preordered from B&H in early July and haven’t received mine yet.

I don’t think you are being honest; the first batch is all that has shipped. Thousands of us that pre ordered haven’t even heard an update yet!

There are folks who started receiving R5s the past couple weeks (FM and POTN). I got one on September 30th. I got real lucky though. I got on a smaller company wait list and less than 2 weeks later, I got a call that they had an R5. I would assume that is at least the 2nd batch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I keep wondering where people are seeing all this weight reduction. In a couple of lenses, yes.... otherwise, no way.
I look at the spec sheet of each succeeding generation of lenses. If the lens is like 1kg or so they dont really bother cutting weight. Anything heavier than 2kg and there is an incentive to make it lighter.

Like, if I knew the 500/4L IS version 1 would have the same weight as as the 600/4L IS version 2 I would have delayed purchase by 14 months.

Only tangible reason an owner of a current gen lens to upgrade ot the newest version would be performance improvements or in this case weight reduction improvement using better material science.

If you havent had a hand in the supply chain or materials R&D then I get the skepticism.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I look at the spec sheet of each succeeding generation of lenses. If the lens is like 1kg or so they dont really bother cutting weight. Anything heavier than 2kg and there is an incentive to make it lighter.

Like, if I knew the 500/4L IS version 1 would have the same weight as as the 600/4L IS version 2 I would have delayed purchase by 14 months.

Only tangible reason an owner of a current gen lens to upgrade ot the newest version would be performance improvements or in this case weight reduction improvement using better material science.

If you havent had a hand in the supply chain or materials R&D then I get the skepticism.
But you are referring (at this moment) to super-tele in the EF line, and not the non-existent RF line. As far as RF super-tele, you have absolutely no idea yet what they will weigh.

Then I kindly turn you towards a look at the other RF lenses that are already here. What is lighter than an EF 85mm f/1.2L, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 28-70mm f/2.8L? Any of the RF's? No. Sure, the RF 70-200 is lighter than the EF version. Isn't that just about it? The Canon EF 24-70 is 95gr lighter than the RF version. So where is this advantage of RF over EF? I don't see it when it comes to weight, which for some reason, people keep trying to claim.

I think the #1 selling point for moving from EF to RF is the weight reduction.

You claim there is a weight advantage to RF. I don't see it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I use my EF100mm macro a lot too (macro and portrait). Besides the adapter (which I can weld on), I don't see the advantage of a RF version. If it was f2 or 2x macro then it would have a benefit over the EF version.

The 100L is a great lens but newer ones from Sony, Sigma and even Laowa are visibly sharper. The IS could also made better, as the AF. Of course, the RF version will likely be significantly more expensive as usual.

Upvote 0
The RF70-200mm was my first lens to update. The size and weight advantage is too good to ignore - even when comparing without an adapter on the EF version.
Agree! RF50mm f/1.2 was my first choice but I decided to wait for f/1.4. The 70-200mm range is always a lens I rent when in need but never owned. Now the RF version is my walk-about lens on R6. lol
The weight/size is somehow more manageable for me now.

Upvote 0
The 100L is a great lens but newer ones from Sony, Sigma and even Laowa are visibly sharper. The IS could also made better, as the AF. Of course, the RF version will likely be significantly more expensive as usual.

I was going to say, presumably the IS will be better due to the faster lens-body communication. If the RF85L can have 8 stops, I don't see why the 100mm can't have at least 7 at infinity focus.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I was going to say, presumably the IS will be better due to the faster lens-body communication. If the RF85L can have 8 stops, I don't see why the 100mm can't have at least 7 at infinity focus.

The IBIS stops seem to correlate with the size of the image circle (even with the steep vignetting RF lenses tend to have), so a redesign with smaller baffles would be a relatively easy way to accomplish that.
Also, the RF mount has more available space inside with the electronic connections being less obtrusive. So it keeps the same diameter as EF, but uses it more efficiently.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
I suggested a couple months ago that I'd like to see this lens and that it was possible, and was told by a prominent member of this site that "no it's absolutely not possible". :ROFLMAO: Now I can't remember who it was.

135/f1.4has my eye, as well.

I’m not sure why someone would say it’s not possible. 135 T1.5 already exists in the cine world. Tokina introduced probably the most affordable one, so far, at ~$8,500. Just guessing, but Canon could probably do a stills version for ~$3K-$4K ballpark*.

*spitballing based on cine versions of still lenses being roughly 2x-4x the cost of the still lens.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Good point! But aren't there some scenarios?

View attachment 193291

Yes, like macro. I did some focus stacking with the TS-E 90mm, it is very useful for when the tilted plane isn't deep enough for what you want. And at macro distances you need a lot of tilt to move the plane where you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0