DJI’s Ronin Series Grows Stronger, Lighter, and Smarter with New DJI RS 2 and RSC 2 Gimbals

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Two Stabilization Systems Offer Reworked Designs and New Creative Functions to Become Workhorses for Filmmakers and Content Creators
October 14, 2020 – DJI, the global leader in civilian drones and creative camera technology, today expands the legacy of the highly popular and prestigious DJI Ronin series, by introducing the rebranded DJI RS 2 and DJI RSC 2. Redesigned and reimagined, both systems offer the filmmaking and content creation community an extremely robust, versatile, and professional 3-axis camera gimbal for their various needs. DJI RS 2 brings added strength and agility to creators using heavier camera systems such as DSLR and compact cinema cameras. At the same time, DJI RSC 2 was created to be more portable, meeting the needs of mirrorless and more compact camera operators.
“DJI’s first Ronin-S and the original...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I've got the original Ronin-S, unopened. Should I sell it, and get the RS2 for the C70?
I've heard new gimbals (of any kind/brand) are buggy and can take a long time and many firmware updates for it to work properly.

I'm hoping that DJI built their firmware off the originals and the bugs are worked out already for the sequels.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I've got the original Ronin-S, unopened. Should I sell it, and get the RS2 for the C70?
I've heard new gimbals (of any kind/brand) are buggy and can take a long time and many firmware updates for it to work properly.
Zhiyun Weebill S wasn't perfect from launch and it toke quite some firmware updates indeed to fix. Seems okay now.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yes. If you can take the financial hit then the newer models are much better gimbals. Everything from balancing to future firmware (bear in mind the development on the S is now effectively over) to controls to functionality is leaps and bounds ahead of the older model.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
It still feels like gimbals are at the middle of the curve of development.
They get NOTABLE better every new generation and every 3 month...
It feels like my Crane 3 LAB is allready ancient, though it still performs good. And prices are dropping by the minute :D
The same for drones. Its probably better to wait for 2 years until the upgrades are turning into minor improvements and prices stabilize...

Upvote 0

CSD

Photographer, WP Developer, and IT Geek.
Sep 3, 2015
Scotland
One of the nice features is the Raven Eyes add-on, looks great for solo operators for tracking as shown briefly here:

Seems it's more of an evolutionary update built upon customer feedback from the Ronin-S, especially when it comes to balancing the camera rig something that was sorely needed. As one reviewer said, if you're in the market for a gimbal the RS 2 is a no brainer but for someone coming from a Ronin S it's more nuanced based on your own case use. I'll be interested in seeing more reviews how the new system ties into various camera brands for remote controlling the settings and more examples of the various functions that's been added over the Ronin S.

Upvote 0

Darecinema

Addicted to lenses.
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2018
I would. This blows the Ronin S out of the water and everything that annoys me in the S is fixed with this iteration. If you didn’t order it too long ago, just send it back to DJI. You can get good shots with the S, but that LCD control screen and active track alone will make the upgrade worth it.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
I would. This blows the Ronin S out of the water and everything that annoys me in the S is fixed with this iteration. If you didn’t order it too long ago, just send it back to DJI. You can get good shots with the S, but that LCD control screen and active track alone will make the upgrade worth it.
Just in time. Peter McKinnon just did the gimbal review with the C70 on it.:D

Upvote 0
Zhiyun Weebill S wasn't perfect from launch and it toke quite some firmware updates indeed to fix. Seems okay now.

2 years ago I was investigating gimbals and wanted the Zhiyun Crane 2 - you know, that red ring accent and focusing works with Canon out of the box :) To gain some first experience with stabilisers, I went with the Zhiyun Smooth Q2 for my smartphone. There is also a Zhiyun M2 version, which will cover smartphones + light mirrorless cameras to 720g, which would be OK for EOS-M cameras.

In the meantime the Weebil S was released, but I did not like how it looks. Yes, I am very irrational, I do care abou the aestetics, being it phone, a camera, my speakers and integrated amp, etc. :)

New Ronins look really nice. And they've got the red accents too, so everything is ok :) But should those be compared to the Weebill S? Zhiyun released Crane 2S with new Flex mount system, and Crane 3S for larger cine cameras.

What I am worried about is always the state of the firmware, which Zhiyun is known for being kind of problematic. Dunno though, why I always liked their offering more, than the one of DJI. DJI, on the other hand, has e.g. drones too. Time to look into a comparison again ....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Darecinema

Addicted to lenses.
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2018
2 years ago I was investigating gimbals and wanted the Zhiyun Crane 2 - you know, that red ring accent and focusing works with Canon out of the box :) To gain some first experience with stabilisers, I went with the Zhiyun Smooth Q2 for my smartphone. There is also a Zhiyun M2 version, which will cover smartphones + light mirrorless cameras to 720g, which would be OK for EOS-M cameras.

In the meantime the Weebil S was released, but I did not like how it looks. Yes, I am very irrational, I do care abou the aestetics, being it phone, a camera, my speakers and integrated amp, etc. :)

New Ronins look really nice. And they've got the red accents too, so everything is ok :) But should those be compared to the Weebill S? Zhiyun released Crane 2S with new Flex mount system, and Crane 3S for larger cine cameras.

What I am worried about is always the state of the firmware, which Zhiyun is known for being kind of problematic. Dunno though, why I always liked their offering more, than the one of DJI. DJI, on the other hand, has e.g. drones too. Time to look into a comparison again ....
I can tell you that from my experience with DJI drones and stabilizers over the last 5 years they’ve always worked excellently right out of the box. Even the Ronin S is solid, but as with any gimbal product the set up can be a hassle (I also have several free fly gimbal products) and the new Ronin products seem to have solved a lot of that and knowing it can take a C70 or even C300iii payload means it is a no brained purchase for Q4 for me. Aesthetics and workability are a huge deal for me as well. My biggest gripe with the ridiculously expensive free fly m15 was the battery solution which looked like kindergarten science kit on a $10,000 stabilizer and DJI solutions are always elegant and functional. It’s so painful to setup and use the M15 I simply opt for the Ronin S I have unless I need to mount a heavier package

Upvote 0
I can tell you that from my experience with DJI drones and stabilizers over the last 5 years they’ve always worked excellently right out of the box. Even the Ronin S is solid, but as with any gimbal product the set up can be a hassle (I also have several free fly gimbal products) and the new Ronin products seem to have solved a lot of that and knowing it can take a C70 or even C300iii payload means it is a no brained purchase for Q4 for me. Aesthetics and workability are a huge deal for me as well. My biggest gripe with the ridiculously expensive free fly m15 was the battery solution which looked like kindergarten science kit on a $10,000 stabilizer and DJI solutions are always elegant and functional. It’s so painful to setup and use the M15 I simply opt for the Ronin S I have unless I need to mount a heavier package

Out of the two available, even for something like R5/R6, or even an EOS-M, I would probably go with the slightly bigger and more expensive Ronin RS2. It might be even slightly lighter, while a bit bigger to pack, though you can dismount it. It almost look like a game-changer, which is going to define gimbals for next 2-3 years.

Upvote 0