Review: Canon EOS R5 by DPReview

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
In that case you'll also like to know that in H+ mode you get 13-bit with MS and EFCS. If you want 14-bit, stay with a mechanical shutter and below 8 FPS.

You have to dig pretty far into the manual to see this, though there are some asterisks around a few of the frame rates I've seen listed. The reality is, why I'm not thrilled (and have ragged on Sony for the same thing) with all the quirks above 8fps (especially H+ w/ the mechanical shutter), but this does seem to be near the limit of what the current gen of sensors can do. The Sonys all seem to drop to 12, as well—AND still have a lot of rolling shutter aside from the A9's stacked sensor. At least here the 12/13 bit modes have stellar readout performance. The R5 isn't magic, but it is class-leading in nearly every way except a *touch* less DR. At the end of the day, I'd rather have these modes with asterisks than not have them at all.

As an aside, this DPR review was a breath of fresh air. The "slideshow" issue came up on the northrups channel, for instance, and they basically just said "This camera is hard to track action with!" without trying to figure out what what going on, and why. DPR actually talks about the different modes and when you might use them. They also didn't fall into the stupid trap of comparing it to cameras like the A7SIII—they put it up against other cameras in their actual class.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
For what it's worth, here's a list of every camera that DPR has given 90% or more. Before 2020, there were no Canons on the list.

92% Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Review (Jul 7, 2020)
91% Canon EOS R5 review (Oct 21, 2020)
91% Sony a7R IV Review (Oct 15, 2019)
91% Nikon D500 Review (May 25, 2016)
90% Canon EOS R6 review (Aug 26, 2020)
90% Sony a9 II Review (Aug 19, 2020)
90% Panasonic Lumix DC-S1H review (Feb 4, 2020)
90% Fujifilm GFX 100 Review (Aug 7, 2019)
90% Sony a7R III Review (Nov 22, 2017)
90% Sony a9 Review (Jun 14, 2017)
90% Sony a7R II Review (Nov 17, 2015)
90% Nikon D750 Review (Dec 20, 2014)

It's because Rishi and his DPR gang has a fetish with dynamic range and therefore Sony sensors, which is why before 2020 8-out-of-8 cameras mentioned above all have Sony sensors. They virtually ignore everything else that matters about a camera, which makes sense, they are not photographers, evident in the quality of their galleries.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The review is balanced and I think that the second last paragraph puts it completely in perspective

"But let's say 8K and therefore perfectly oversampled 4K recording were simply omitted from this camera; I think we would still find it to be the most well-rounded high-resolution mirrorless camera on the market, though by an admittedly slimmer margin. The reality that you do, in fact, have access to such additional features like Raw 8K capture can be seen as an added bonus, so long as you understand the well-documented limitations and are able to work around them as your photographic and videographic situations allow. "

The Canon engineers should be applauded for fully pushing the boundaries for what it can do and specify the caveats within which to use them. The promised firmware upgrade with lower video bit rates should allow external recording for 4k120 and 8k raw (cinema lite) negating all the overheating drama for those who truly need that capability.

If the new firmware update allows the Rate button to be remapped then I would be a happy camper :)

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Can you prove your claim? I’ve been waiting 3.5 months for my order to be fulfilled.
Well, you'll find plenty of people in this forum that have waited less and got their R5. You must have either gotten really unlucky or something is wrong with the status of your order that prevents it from being fulfilled.

Or are you not talking about the claim that R5 inventory is going out to customers?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
You have to dig pretty far into the manual to see this, though there are some asterisks around a few of the frame rates I've seen listed.[..]

I learned that from the 1dx3 manual: locate the tables a few pages before the end of the document, then look for the one with the most asterisks :)

• Haha
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I didn't know that before today.
If you would like to see it quantified. Here you go...
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Cha...S R5(APS-C),Canon EOS R5(ES),Canon EOS R5(HS)

I would also encourage people not to make too big a deal about it. If you add the 5DIV, you'll see even when dropping down from 14 bit, to 13 bit (HS) the R5 still has higher DR than the 5DIV, and dropping down to 12 bit (ES), the R5 is still better than the 5DIII and almost as good as the 5DIV. So, it is not like it falls apart or something. Still extremely useable, equivalent or better to previous Canon cameras. The other way to look at it is it appears we are now looking at the first Canon MILC with dual gain ISO (check out the change at ISO 400) and at ISO 100 is now ahead of the Sony sensors.

• Love
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
I wonder, if Canon will react on the issues, that are known by now.
CPS told me, no hardwarechanges will be done at my body, if Canon decides to change the heat problem by exchanging something inside. We will see.
I am happy with it, despite some AF issues

What are the AF issues you’ve experienced? Most of what I‘ve seen so far shows almost Harry Potter level magical auto-focus.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
It's because Rishi and his DPR gang has a fetish with dynamic range and therefore Sony sensors, which is why before 2020 8-out-of-8 cameras mentioned above all have Sony sensors. They virtually ignore everything else that matters about a camera, which makes sense, they are not photographers, evident in the quality of their galleries.

The photo galleries for their camera reviews wouldn’t even make the cut for a lot of people’s iPhone photo albums. The images my GF sends me when she goes to the park or trails blows theirs away. She’s not a professional photographer, but she loves creating and has a nice eye.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Well, you'll find plenty of people in this forum that have waited less and got their R5. You must have either gotten really unlucky or something is wrong with the status of your order that prevents it from being fulfilled.

Or are you not talking about the claim that R5 inventory is going out to customers?

Hi, I guess I am one of the luck one. I ordered the R5 body only in mid August and around 18 days later I got the camera. It is the Chinese box with the Chinese manual only, battery charger, camera strap, cable and 1 battery. I am Italian, I bought in Italt through an Italian gray market distributor and it is all right. I have switched language, I have already update the camera firmware and all work well so far.
I bought used also the EF-RF ring lens adapter and all seams great.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Hi, I guess I am one of the luck one. I ordered the R5 body only in mid August and around 18 days later I got the camera. It is the Chinese box with the Chinese manual only, battery charger, camera strap, cable and 1 battery. I am Italian, I bought in Italt through an Italian gray market distributor and it is all right. I have switched language, I have already update the camera firmware and all work well so far.
I bought used also the EF-RF ring lens adapter and all seams great.
I am not sure if I did understand it correctly, but I believe units for the Chinese market may be region locked so that they can't properly use the new Canon image cloud service in other regions? If that is something you are interested, that may be worth looking up.

Upvote 0
On the issue of bit depth with the H+ shooting mode... I don't believe there is a camera out today that doesn't lower bit depth at 20 fps. This appears to be the industry standard without exception. So it's an odd thing to note as a negative. The R5 goes only to 13 bit rather than 12 bit when in H+ mode in mechanical shutter, which is a bit better than the Sony A9/A9II's mechanical shutter behavior in maximum frames per second, as they go to 12 bit, I believe. I owned both, but it seems like years ago now that I've been shooting the R5 for some months.

In terms of the general quality of the review, I think it was fine, but missed a lot of interesting things about the camera; stuff you might expect would be observed if you publish the review 3 months after release.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0