Here is the Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM

Including this as a kit lens with the RP will be great for lowering the barrier to FF mirrorless.

That being the case, there is nothing to prevent Canon from following this up with an RF 50mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro for those who would like the matching set of affordable 35/50/85 IS Macro primes.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
What are the advantages from EF 50mm f1.8

Well, size. Putting an RF-EF adapter on to a lens that is intended to be small negates some of the smallness benefits that small seekers were hoping to achieve in purchasing a small lens.

Control ring.

A feeling of smugness that you have an RF lens versus the peasants that refuse to let go of their EF arsenal.

That's about it.

• Haha
Reactions: 23 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Including this as a kit lens with the RP will be great for lowering the barrier to FF mirrorless.

That being the case, there is nothing to prevent Canon from following this up with an RF 50mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro for those who would like the matching set of affordable 35/50/85 IS Macro primes.

I think a kit lens would most likely be some sort of zoom. They're generally intended to be versatile whereas any prime is inherently a bit specialized.

Nevertheless I'm sure plenty of people will want this lens, and that's what matters. For what it's worth, I'm pretty happy for now with my EF f/1.4, and use primes infrequently enough that I can't justify buying another of the same focal length. I won't be in this market, but I know plenty of other people will be. And expanding the range of choices is a good thing whether or not I'm interested in the new option!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I think this nifty fifty will be telling in terms of Canon's intended direction on price for the whole RF lineup. If it's $120-$150 initial retail, it will indicate that Canon probably intends on fleshing out the RF lineup with roughly equivalently-priced lenses to the old EF system. If it's > that, it means Canon is going to skew things upwards in price generally. Will be interesting to see as an indicator.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Looks very much like Canon have gone mirrorless through and through, but being a canon user for over 12 years and investing into there stunning L series EF lenses it is very difficult for me to go sell all the ef lenses and jump to the RF lenses, it would for me be too expensive even though I have got an eos R, I think the old nifty 50 will be just as good as the new one personally, at the end of the day it is about the image quality.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Well, size. Putting an RF-EF adapter on to a lens that is intended to be small negates some of the smallness benefits that small seekers were hoping to achieve in purchasing a small lens.

Control ring.

A feeling of smugness that you have an RF lens versus the peasants that refuse to let go of their EF arsenal.

That's about it.

I tried the EF50 f/1.8 STM on my R5 last week and it's by far the worst result among all my EF lenses. It gives a focus confirmation, but it is out of focus 90% of the time with moving subjects. On my 7D and M6II it focusses fine, on the RP I sold it was 'OK', but it the R5 hates it. If I didn't have other cameras to try it on I would've said "broken lens" and chucked it in the recycling bin.

So I'm looking forward to be able to buy some of that smugness and retire this peasant EF lens :) I predict that Canon will fix this issue in firmware right after the RF50 STM gets delivered.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I think this nifty fifty will be telling in terms of Canon's intended direction on price for the whole RF lineup. If it's $120-$150 initial retail, it will indicate that Canon probably intends on fleshing out the RF lineup with roughly equivalently-priced lenses to the old EF system. If it's > that, it means Canon is going to skew things upwards in price generally. Will be interesting to see as an indicator.

I predict something around $200 less than the RF35 since it lacks IS, so it will end up costing $300. For $150 I'd pre-order it the moment it goes live.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
So I'm looking forward to be able to buy some of that smugness and retire this peasant EF lens :) I predict that Canon will fix this issue in firmware right after the RF50 STM gets delivered.
That's the spirit! Make sure to walk around and tell everybody how it's just as good as that stupidly large f1.2 50mm for good measure.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0