Here is the Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon will be announcing the Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM alongside the Canon RF 50mm f/1.8, which leaked earlier this week.
For scale, here is a size comparison between the RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM and it’s big brother, the RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM.

Both of these lenses have been long-rumored and should be big sellers for Canon. I expect an official announcement from Canon early next week.

ElnA8JZVgAAvQe--168x168.jpg

ElnA9W3UYAAf1AX-168x168.jpg

ElnA-dwUcAADHoB-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
And here (copied from the lenses Forum) two size comparisons, one with the 24-105 f/4 and the other with the 24-70 f/2.8:
View attachment 193716View attachment 193717
This will be a fantastic hiking or trekking lens! Curious about the price though...
Waiting for more details esp close focus capabilities. That is one seriously small lens.

Upvote 0
Is it just a cheaper (and maybe lighter) version of Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM ?
Which one is supposed to produce better images: f/2.8 set on f/4 or native f/4?

Probably it will be the "little sibling" like the EF 70-200 F4 L. That old EF lens has great image quality. All RF lenses are very sharp, so probably this new one will be great too in all aspects. The main decision should be other factors like budget and use case.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Edit: I should have read the other thread before wasting space here :ROFLMAO: PBD did a better job already at comparing it to the RF 70-200 mm 2.8:

size_comp.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
Woha this is sexy, I have the RF 70-200 2.8 but if image quality is good enough and price very low, I could consider to switch to this one to save money for another one good lens! I have to analyze the shoots I did under f4
I wouldn't expect to save a lot of money by selling an f/2.8 and buying an f/4, considering that you'd sell at lower price and would pay taxes on the new one...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Since I never had L series lenses less than f/2.8 ("Cheap people always pay twice" personal rule), I wonder which one is supposed to be sharper: an f/2.8 at f/4 or a native f/4.

I guess you never took a hike with you F2.8 collection. The EF F4 L lenses were built with the same quality but half price and half weigth. I would not expect this to be any different.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
I guess you never took a hike with you F2.8 collection. The EF F4 L lenses were built with the same quality but half price and half weigth. I would not expect this to be any different.
I have the 2.8 version, non IS. Great lens, but bulky and heavy (I think something like 3.2 lbs.) so very seldom carry far from the car in the field. This f4 lens would suit me fine, if I were able to afford a mirrorless body in the first place.

Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
You are absolutely right about hiking: I never walk too far from my car. :) I am just wondering how much this stop might save money and/or weight and whether it's worth it from image quality perspective. We'll see.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The AF is supposed to still be working at f/8, no ? If it is f/5.6, then you might use a 1.4x one...
Well, not a Canon one at least. Physically, TCs don't fit on the RF 70-200 2.8 if they portrude at all into the lens. And I don't see why this would be different for this cheaper, more compact one.

Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
Well, not a Canon one at least. Physically, TCs don't fit on the RF 70-200 2.8 if they portrude at all into the lens. And I don't see why this would be different for this cheaper, more compact one.
Indeed, it is very disappointing (I've just read an article about that: I'm still using EF mount body so I don't have this problem yet).

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Indeed, it is very disappointing (I've just read an article about that: I'm still using EF mount body so I don't have this problem yet).
Presumably they decided the size and weight reduction was more important than the ability to mount a TC.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

filmmakerken

EOS R, EOS 10, FTb
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2020
Virginia
www.cinefoundry.com
I'm excited about this lens.

When I bought my EOS R I also bought the RF28-70mm f/2, a simply gorgeous lens (if a bit heavy). I like the idea of the RF 70-200mm f/2.8, it seems like the natural complement to the 28-70. But I just can't justify spending $2600 (or more) for every lens. I'm thinking that with the IS and the ISO capabilities of the EOS R this lens will suit my needs...assuming it sells for about $1000 less than the f/2.8.

Upvote 0