CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
" Reduces image noise when performing high sensitivity shooting with the RF50mm F1.2 L USM lens attached to the EOS C70 camera." - How lens FW can change something like this?

I suspect the vignetting correction data in the lens was ever so slightly off and that caused the C70 to ramp up exposure a tiny bit. I can't think of anything else that a lens firmware can fix when it comes to image noise :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I suspect the vignetting correction data in the lens was ever so slightly off and that caused the C70 to ramp up exposure a tiny bit. I can't think of anything else that a lens firmware can fix when it comes to image noise :)
If the data is off in the lens, then why does the update note suggest this is only for the C70? I do like your guess, though! Just wondering why it doesn't benefit R bodies...As it stands, I don't see a reason for somebody with no intention of using a C70 to install this update.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
If the data is off in the lens, then why does the update note suggest this is only for the C70? I do like your guess, though! Just wondering why it doesn't benefit R bodies...As it stands, I don't see a reason for somebody with no intention of using a C70 to install this update.
My guess is that the firmware in the C70 exposed the bug in the lens firmware and Canon decided that the C70 firmware team was right.

Upvote 0