Firmware: Canon EOS R5 v1.2.0

That's it?!? I really hoped to see an option to enable automatic mechanical/EFCS switching based on shutter speed to get rid of shutter shock.
I was really hoping for this feature too

I've been wanting this, too, but Canon has never had it, nor have I seen it rumored it was coming. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

We also could use electronic shutter speeds over 1/8000 second like other manufactures allow, but not holding my breath for that one, either.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
With wide open apertures and fast shutter speeds, bokeh is negatively impacted with EFCS

Just to echo this point, here's an article showing it: https://petapixel.com/2018/12/07/psa-electronic-front-curtain-shutter-may-be-quietly-hurting-your-bokeh/#:~:text=Thus cut-off bokeh “is,Anders Lattermann in the DPReview

Not a massive issue as I switch to mechanical shutter when I'm doing natural light, wide aperture portraits where I want the best bokeh I can get. For most other work, the difference isn't really all that noticeable and I just use ECFS.

Here's the comparison from the article by Michael Zhang, for those who don't have the time to click it.

Mechanical shutter vs ECFS when shooting at F/1.4 and 1/1000th of a second:
1605804247449.png

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Just to echo this point, here's an article showing it: https://petapixel.com/2018/12/07/psa-electronic-front-curtain-shutter-may-be-quietly-hurting-your-bokeh/#:~:text=Thus cut-off bokeh “is,Anders Lattermann in the DPReview

Not a massive issue as I switch to mechanical shutter when I'm doing natural light, wide aperture portraits where I want the best bokeh I can get. For most other work, the difference isn't really all that noticeable and I just use ECFS.

Here's the comparison from the article by Michael Zhang, for those who don't have the time to click it.

(jesting) are you sure that's not shutter shock causing more blur vs bokeh? ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Still hopelessly waiting for that C-Log 3, Canon Cinema RAW Light and may be a better solution for overheating. A reliable hybrid for my type of work is essential!
RAW over HDMI for C70 would also be nice to see, for it to compete with FX6. Or a full frame RF-mount cinema camera with C70-style body and specs.
I wouldn't hold my breath. Even so, we'd probably have to send our R5s to CPS for that update; just like the log update for the 5D4.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I want to know this, too.

I didn't install the previous update. Will I be able to install this update and skip over 1.1.1, or will I have to install 1.1.1 and then install this update?
1.2 has all the fixes from pervious versions no need to do multiple updates. @koenkooi linked a shot from Canon's FAQ on page one of this thread.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Seems actually a little underwhelming than what I was expecting. However, some reporting that random lockups have been resolved.. which could have used a patch note just for that. Actually that alone is worth the update.

Although, got to admit... not being blind in one eye after shooting in the dark thru EVF sounds nice.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't hold my breath. Even so, we'd probably have to send our R5s to CPS for that update; just like the log update for the 5D4.
Not necessarily – depends on if they were planning to introduce it in the first place, as well as if can be implemented with current camera's hardware. It's a software thing after all.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA

View attachment 194069

Thanks, H. Jones, for this verrrrry interesting read. After reading further into the linked initial article by Antisthenes (a few times), it made sense to me. The most important thing I got from it is at the end of their article, which I'll quote:

"Given the physical principles involed, the effects caused by the EFCS become visible only: if the shutter slit is very narrow — i.e. shutter speeds shorter than 1/2000s ? and large apertures — f/1.4-ish ?

At apertures darker than, say, f/4.0, I wouldn't worry too much even at quite high shutter speeds, as the light rays wouldn't be that tilted anyway (the apical angle of the lens' light cone will be pretty narrow)."

That initial post includes an image which better shows the effect on more visible bokeh balls, which I've copied for you here:1605810990461.png

Upvote 0
They have also fixed the issue with the interval meter not working if shutter button was set to AF start only (back button AF).
indeed, also for multi-exposure, which previously didnt work with BBF.
+ first handheld test with multi exposure at night it actually combined tons better than before, i almost feel that IBIS was at work (only shoot non-IS). Potentially IBIS is improved as well, waiting for reviewers

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Just like a video game company, Canon will release an update that also fixes unacknowledged issues their cameras have. In the video game world, we call them "stealth" changes.

I, like many others, are waiting for the addition of some of the rumored video enhancements. But, for now, I really hope we see a "stealth" fix in this update for some of the random locking up that I have gotten about 5-6 times with this camera over the past few months. It's certainly not common for me, but it appears to be more consistent for others.

In the future, I really want more options for FPS in both electronic or mechanical shutter. My 1DX had the option to shoot at manually commanded FPS for each drive mode - hope to see that feature. REALLY looking forward to using the EVF to track birds now - this is what I wanted!! A more DSLR like EVF in the high speed mode.

Upvote 0