R6 for stills - 10 weeks of experience

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I got my R6 10 weeks ago and I'm pretty happy with it. I feel it is a worthwhile, but not massive, step up from my 5D4.

Among the things I like are:

The very accurate and fast autofocus system. Higher keeper ratio (compared to 5D4) when doing photoshoots with moving models.

The eye/face tracking is fun, but not useful enough to use all the time. I put the focus mode selection on a programmable button so I can switch easily.

The amazing stabilization system - I got nice waterfall pix hand held at 1/8 second.

The excellent detail in the 20 MP RAW files - Every bit as good as the 5D4 which created 30 MP files.

The RF 24-105 F/4 kit lens - noticeably sharper than the EF version - perhaps partly due to better autofocus?

The RF 35mm macro lens - very sharp, but does have some focus noise that might be a problem for video.

The EF-RF adapter works great. My old EF lenses focus better than ever before.

The RAW files have a different look than those from the 5D4. It's hard to describe, but I like it better. Smoother, perhaps, and they edit more easily in Lightroom.

Three control wheels and a joystick make it easy to control your shooting parameters without fumbling.

Battery life for still photography is about the same as my 5D4, roughly 1,200 to 1,400 shots on a battery (estimated).

Things I don't like:

The crazy high cost of most RF lenses. I only have two of the entry level ones and may not buy any more.

Sometimes the autofocus won't lock on in typical indoor room illumination where I think my 5D4 would have locked on. This could be due to the lens I'm using, but haven't tracked down the cause for sure.

When I was doing some long waterfall exposures on a tripod, the horizontal shots were very sharp, but the verticals had a very strange uniform blur, like Gaussian blur. A friend told me I should have turned off the stabilization, something I never had to bother with before. I plan to explore that in the future.

When working with a model for an hour or so, the viewfinder will sort of go crazy for about 5-8 seconds. It flickers to black and displays random confused stuff then goes back to normal. It only does this once in a two hour shoot. It was a little disorienting at first, but now I know it's normal and just wait for the camera to settle down.

When I bring the camera up to my eye, the viewfinder often shows me the last shot I took. This was disorienting for quite a while, now I just half press to make it go away. I think I changed a menu setting so it doesn't happen as often as it did at first.

So that is what comes to mind right now. Anyone else care to share their R6 experience so far?

Take Care,

Dr. Mike

Reactions: 8 users

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I got my R6 10 weeks ago and I'm pretty happy with it. I feel it is a worthwhile, but not massive, step up from my 5D4.

The very accurate and fast autofocus system. Higher keeper ratio (compared to 5D4) when doing photoshoots with moving models.

The eye/face tracking is fun, but not useful enough to use all the time. I put the focus mode selection on a programmable button so I can switch easily.

The amazing stabilization system - I got nice waterfall pix hand held at 1/8 second.

The excellent detail in the 20 MP RAW files - Every bit as good as the 5D4 which created 30 MP files.

The RF 24-105 F/4 kit lens - noticeably sharper than the EF version - perhaps partly due to better autofocus?

The RF 35mm macro lens - very sharp, but does have some focus noise that might be a problem for video.

The RAW files have a different look than those from the 5D4. It's hard to describe, but I like it better. Smoother, perhaps, and they edit more easily in Lightroom.

Three control wheels and a joystick make it easy to control your shooting parameters without fumbling.

Battery life for still photography is about the same as my 5D4, roughly 1,200 to 1,400 shots on a battery (estimated).

Things I don't like:

The crazy high cost of most RF lenses. I only have two of the entry level ones and may not buy any more.

Sometimes the autofocus won't lock on in typical indoor room illumination where I think my 5D4 would have locked on. This could be due to the lens I'm using, but haven't tracked down the cause for sure.

When I was doing some long waterfall exposures on a tripod, the horizontal shots were very sharp, but the verticals had a very strange uniform blur, like Gaussian blur. A friend told me I should have turned off the stabilization, something I never had to bother with before. I plan to explore that in the future.

When working with a model for an hour or so, the viewfinder will sort of go crazy for about 5-8 seconds. It flickers to black and displays random confused stuff then goes back to normal. It only does this once in a two hour shoot. It was a little disorienting at first, but now I know it's normal and just wait for the camera to settle down.

When I bring the camera up to my eye, the viewfinder often shows me the last shot I took. This was disorienting for quite a while, now I just half press to make it go away. I think I changed a menu setting so it doesn't happen as often as it did at first.

So that is what comes to mind right now. Anyone else care to share their R6 experience so far?

Take Care,

Dr. Mike
Thanks for your review.
Did you compare 5 D IV and R 6 results SIDE BY SIDE ? (I'm a bit surprised you found the sensor quality about identical...)

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
Thanks for your review.
Did you compare 5 D IV and R 6 results SIDE BY SIDE ? (I'm a bit surprised you found the sensor quality about identical...)

I thought about ways to do a direct sensor comparison, but it would be difficult and probably not all that meaningful for me. You would have to eliminate the differences in autofocus and image stabilization, which are both important contributors to image quality. There is also the issue of RAW file processing being different in Lightroom or other software. I will leave the scientific comparisons to DXO and other professionals who have a track record of doing dynamic range measurements. :)

I just know I like the finished images a little better from the R6. Obviously, that's very subjective.

As a funny side note, I found that I liked the images from my 77D (same sensor as 80D) better than the images from the 90D that I owned briefly. Had to sell the 90D to make room for the R6 in my cabinet. Still have the 77D as a travel camera.

Take Care,

Dr. Mike

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I thought about ways to do a direct sensor comparison, but it would be difficult and probably not all that meaningful for me.
Bryan Carnathan from the-digital-picture.com provides a comparison tool for resolution between both cameras, so far with the EF 200mm f/2:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Bryan Carnathan from the-digital-picture.com provides a comparison tool for resolution between both cameras, so far with the EF 200mm f/2:
Nearly cut myself opening that link, damn that lens is sharp!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Things I don't like:

Take Care,

Dr. Mike

thanks for the insights.I don’t think the viewfinder going crazy like that should be considered normal though. Personally I would be sending the camera back for warranty repair

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Thanks for adding this here.
But:
You did choose a link/Comparison where - when opening the page - the R6 gets f/5.6 while the 5D4 gets f/2.0.
This leads to more sharpness on the R6 side. Of course one can change, if he/she recognizes this.
Just oversight? Or did I miss an idea/calculation behind that?

Here is the f/2 to f/2 link.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Nearly cut myself opening that link, damn that lens is sharp!
I often read that this is the sharpest lens Canon makes. Not sure about that, since Canon makes several quite sharp primes. I do not own it, since 200mm are not that important for me personally, I shoot either on the much shorter or much longer side of photographic life ;)

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
But:
You did choose a link/Comparison where - when opening the page - the R6 gets f/5.6 while the 5D4 gets f/2.0.
This leads to more sharpness on the R6 side. Of course one can change, if he/she recognizes this.

Well I always count on the smartness of users, so I assumed that they find out that settings can be changed there - as you did ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
thanks for the insights.I don’t think the viewfinder going crazy like that should be considered normal though. Personally I would be sending the camera back for warranty repair
Would be interesting to find out whether this is an individual flaw of this particular camera or a general problem of the R6. If the latter is the case, Canon should be able to fix it with a firmware update. Sounds like a software problem.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

...Battery life for still photography is about the same as my 5D4, roughly 1,200 to 1,400 shots on a battery (estimated).

Things I don't like:

...Sometimes the autofocus won't lock on in typical indoor room illumination where I think my 5D4 would have locked on. This could be due to the lens I'm using, but haven't tracked down the cause for sure.

Take Care,

Dr. Mike

I've kept just the parts of your insightful post to respond to here. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts!

Battery life? I can't believe how fast mine sucks up battery, but I've improved matters a bit by making sure the EVF doesn't come on while carrying the camera with a shoulder strap.

AF seems to be great at locking on in even silly low light.

"...Gaussian blur." You might have seen I'm working on some IBIS related blur tests this week. It is baffling how sometimes the camera is amazing with the AF and longer exposure handhelds (for me that is anything under 1/125th), but other times in the 1/400th to 1/800th range I'm getting odd softness. Will report soon!

I've used this for indoor and outdoor events, plus yesterday over 1100 test shots of a target, plus carrying around for lots of use in parks (practice!)...I've stared through that EVF everyday for over a month now--no flickering. It's great.*

As for the EVF showing the last shot, my R did that too! Then I realized it was only doing it when I had reviewed shots before bringing the camera up to my eye again. In other words, it retains the last image viewed, not the last image taken. Not sure how you have yours set up, but my R6 still works exactly like that.

Again, thanks! I'm personally having mixed feelings about it, as my expectations were so high after a year with the R. I think the tests I'm doing this week will clear things up a bit.

*Edit: I just remembered that one time I put an older LP-E6N battery in the R6 and the EVF went haywire. This was probably the second week I had it. Replaced the battery and haven't had any other issue since.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
I often read that this is the sharpest lens Canon makes. Not sure about that, since Canon makes several quite sharp primes. I do not own it, since 200mm are not that important for me personally, I shoot either on the much shorter or much longer side of photographic life ;)
Indeed but it is perhaps the sexiest sharp lens in their EF lineup ;) :LOL:
Ps I love the 200m focal length still have my 200 fd just waiting for an R

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I've kept just the parts of your insightful post to respond to here. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts!

Battery life? I can't believe how fast mine sucks up battery, but I've improved matters a bit by making sure the EVF doesn't come on while carrying the camera with a shoulder strap.

AF seems to be great at locking on in even silly low light.

"...Gaussian blur." You might have seen I'm working on some IBIS related blur tests this week. It is baffling how sometimes the camera is amazing with the AF and longer exposure handhelds (for me that is anything under 1/125th), but other times in the 1/400th to 1/800th range I'm getting odd softness. Will report soon!

I've used this for indoor and outdoor events, plus yesterday over 1100 test shots of a target, plus carrying around for lots of use in parks (practice!)...I've stared through that EVF everyday for over a month now--no flickering. It's great.*

As for the EVF showing the last shot, my R did that too! Then I realized it was only doing it when I had reviewed shots before bringing the camera up to my eye again. In other words, it retains the last image viewed, not the last image taken. Not sure how you have yours set up, but my R6 still works exactly like that.

Again, thanks! I'm personally having mixed feelings about it, as my expectations were so high after a year with the R. I think the tests I'm doing this week will clear things up a bit.

*Edit: I just remembered that one time I put an older LP-E6N battery in the R6 and the EVF went haywire. This was probably the second week I had it. Replaced the battery and haven't had any other issue since.
Question. I have not recieved my R6 as of yet but I am assuming it will not have firmware 1.2.0 installed. I am wondering if you have 1.2.0 on yours and whether it has improved the viewfinder experienced as it is supposed to? If not I probably won't install it as there is not really anything else there that would affect me

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Question. I have not recieved my R6 as of yet but I am assuming it will not have firmware 1.2.0 installed. I am wondering if you have 1.2.0 on yours and whether it has improved the viewfinder experienced as it is supposed to? If not I probably won't install it as there is not really anything else there that would affect me
The first few weeks I had the R6 I just kept the EVF on "Smooth." Right around the time of the 1.2.0 update, I was thinking about how to extend battery life, and that's when I started using "Power Saving." So I don't have a good before and after to report.

The blackouts with a first shot are there at both EVF speeds, but I don't find them distracting at all. In fact, I had completely forgotten about them until checking to respond to your post!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
The first few weeks I had the R6 I just kept the EVF on "Smooth." Right around the time of the 1.2.0 update, I was thinking about how to extend battery life, and that's when I started using "Power Saving." So I don't have a good before and after to report.

The blackouts when a first shot are there at both EVF speeds, but I don't find them distracting at all. In fact, I had completely forgotten about them until checking to respond to your post!
Thanks mate. I thinkit i will just give it a go without 1.2.0 and maybe consider it further down the track if necessary.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Love the Carnathan link! With the same aperture selected, there isn't much difference in resolution. I believe I can see a colorful moire pattern on the fine lines of the R6 image. Is that because there is no anti-aliasing filter?
I see what you mean, the more horizontal lines in the upper test image with the R6 show some colors on the left, but to me it looks more like a sort of chromatic aberration, not a pronounced Moiré. The 5D4 images look completely clean, so it can't be the lens (which would be a disaster for such a great L lens). The R6 does feature an AA filter, so those colors must be caused by another effect (okay, there are stronger and weaker AA filters in different cameras). Interestingly, those colors appear only on this spot with a particular distance between the slightly tilted quasi-horizontal lines. Hm, I have no idea about an easy explanation at the moment. This could be caused by a real effect on the sensor (micro lenses?), but maybe also by post-processing the raw data... not sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
But:

Thanks Maximilian, stupid me hadn't noticed...:eek:

• Haha
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's a little difficult getting comparisons from that link as the image sizes are different. dpr has a very useful tool for this and you can toggle between outputting to the same size and the magnified sizes for different types of images. For example:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0