New Supply issues with Canon gear?

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Why not check before spreading a unlikely rumor. What have other photo sites said? What has Canon said?
That is what i am doing which is why I asked if anyone knew the validity of it and NOT stating it as fact. I kind of figured this would be a good place to verify it. However the factory is AKM? and apparently supplies semiconductors to japans camera industry. it suffered a 3 day fire. There is little doubt the fire actually happened(on oct 20) but I am wondering if anyone here may be able to confirm the reports of how badly it will affect the supply chain.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Aussie Shooter.
I would imagine in an age of just in time delivery and minimal stock levels that any manufacturer using chips from this supplier will by looking for an alternative or in the mire!
As if things this year haven’t been bad enough having your facility damaged / destroyed by fire totally sucks! :cry:

Having just had a look around the net, it seems like they make audio DAC, ADC and Bluetooth chips.
There was a list of chips known to be affected but stock levels at the manufacturer are unknown, so there may be a short buffer period?

Cheers, Graham.

That is what i am doing which is why I asked if anyone knew the validity of it and NOT stating it as fact. I kind of figured this would be a good place to verify it. However the factory is AKM? and apparently supplies semiconductors to japans camera industry. it suffered a 3 day fire. There is little doubt the fire actually happened(on oct 20) but I am wondering if anyone here may be able to confirm the reports of how badly it will affect the supply chain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
After your first post I googled some keywords and found the fire you mentioned. It was a third party supplier to the industry but I cannot find anything that indicates they are a Canon supplier.
I read that they supply to pretty much the entire Japanese camera industry(so it would be Nikon and others affected as well) as well as a large number of other tech industries such as audio/visual etc. My initial info came from a camera store worker and while that does not mean the info is accurate it was noted that what is in transit or warehouses now may be the last to be manufactured for a while. Unless they can find an alternative supply(in the case of cameras I guess it is mostly the ADC and/or DAC chips). From what I can gather though they are integrated chips and would require redesigns to incorporate into existing products. I hope the info is wrong of course as it could mean no new cameras for quite a few months

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I read that they supply to pretty much the entire Japanese camera industry(so it would be Nikon and others affected as well) as well as a large number of other tech industries such as audio/visual etc. My initial info came from a camera store worker and while that does not mean the info is accurate it was noted that what is in transit or warehouses now may be the last to be manufactured for a while. Unless they can find an alternative supply(in the case of cameras I guess it is mostly the ADC and/or DAC chips). From what I can gather though they are integrated chips and would require redesigns to incorporate into existing products. I hope the info is wrong of course as it could mean no new cameras for quite a few months
It appears that the primary impact will be on the audio industry. I'm not seeing any mention of cameras.

More Information:

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
It appears that the primary impact will be on the audio industry. I'm not seeing any mention of cameras.

More Information:

Yeah. I read a lot of the same stuff but i did see somewhere that it would possibly affect the video side of things in the camera industry and as video and audio are fully integrated in all imaging systems nowadys who knows. As I said, I hope what I have heard is wrong. Supplies already seem thin on the ground. But time will tell

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Yeah. I read a lot of the same stuff but i did see somewhere that it would possibly affect the video side of things in the camera industry and as video and audio are fully integrated in all imaging systems nowadys who knows. As I said, I hope what I have heard is wrong. Supplies already seem thin on the ground. But time will tell
Okay, it looks like your concerns may be legitimate.

Gordon over at CanonPriceWatch is now reporting it could impact supplies.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Okay, it looks like your concerns may be legitimate.

Gordon over at CanonPriceWatch is now reporting it could impact supplies.

The more I read, the more amazed I am that i not only got an R6 but that we got decent BF deals on them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0