The next major firmware updates for the EOS R5 and EOS R6 will come in Q1 of 2021 [CR2]

Jan 29, 2011
Looks like it is all video stuff. I guess some day I'll have to learn what the hell "C-Log" is and why I should be excited.
It’s not difficult, Log is effectively RAW video, regular video is more akin to jpeg. A closer analogy would be RAW video is RAW, Log is like 10 bit HEIF, regular video is like jpeg. If you are shooting for out of camera nail your settings and leave it, if you are into coloring and grading your video Log is a big deal. If you don’t know what it is it is probably irrelevant.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
A heads up to Aussies. Ted's and George's are having a black Friday sale for R5/R6.
R5: $6849, sale $5822, after cash back $5572.
R6: $4499, sale $3824, after cash back $3674. (With 24-105mm stm, after cash back, $3949)

Might have to wait a while for stock though.

I got a quote from a salesman who I have bought cameras in the past, under $5800 so I will place my order with him this Friday.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Looks like it is all video stuff. I guess some day I'll have to learn what the hell "C-Log" is and why I should be excited.

Basically, it's a setting which allows the camera to capture yucky looking recordings on-camera so you can later apply a template on your computer that makes the dynamic range and color much better than is possible to do on the camera alone when optimizing for good-looking video. Not that you can't edit non-CLog files, you just have less room for improvement before introducing noise. It's a similar idea to shooting raw vs. jpeg, except in this case the final output starting with CLog is MUCH better, whereas on-camera jpegs are pretty damn good when the camera is set correctly, as compared to a jpeg you process from raw yourself.

Upvote 0
Huge difference. But I refused to pay the initial release price of the R6. I just thought it was overpriced in relation to theUS price. Even taking into account the dollar variation and import taxes and duties. 3800 for the body is what I thought the R6 should have been from the beginning so when I saw the BF deal i was not going to hesitate.
I thought you meant the R5 :)

Upvote 0
A heads up to Aussies. Ted's and George's are having a black Friday sale for R5/R6.
R5: $6849, sale $5822, after cash back $5572.
R6: $4499, sale $3824, after cash back $3674. (With 24-105mm stm, after cash back, $3949)

Might have to wait a while for stock though.
Digidirect just came in at $3,579.80 for the R6 post cash back. R5 is not close to Teds etc but would price match.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Basically, it's a setting which allows the camera to capture yucky looking recordings on-camera so you can later apply a template on your computer that makes the dynamic range and color much better than is possible to do on the camera alone when optimizing for good-looking video. Not that you can't edit non-CLog files, you just have less room for improvement before introducing noise. It's a similar idea to shooting raw vs. jpeg, except in this case the final output starting with CLog is MUCH better, whereas on-camera jpegs are pretty damn good when the camera is set correctly, as compared to a jpeg you process from raw yourself.
Probably pretty handy if you are producing professional videos. I don't intend to do much video. IMO it is a whole new mindset.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Hey Canon. Here is my wish list for next R5 Firmware Upgrade.

* IS menu available when an IS capable lens is fitted.
This is to be able to select IS on Half Button Press Only. Useful for Superteles that run their battery hungry IS long after the shot is taken & they are back on your shoulder.

* Adjustability of VF Eye Detect sensitivity.
This to stop the case where VF is activated when a shadow passes over the sensor & the VF & IS run for another 30 seconds with corresponding hit on the battery.

* AF improvement.
To address the case where focus freezes at a given distance & won’t refocus on a new target (often closer & larger & under the spot focus square).

* Reinstatement of Canon traditional Image Playback where, after the cam shuts down after inactivity, playback resumes at the last image viewed.
At the moment if the R5 shuts down itself, playback resumes at the last shot taken again. Then a hunt for the subject image starts again.
I think my highest priority ask is to be able to customize the Q menu.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The R5 should be able to do 1080 @ 180 to be honest. WITHOUT overheating. Sorry this is all a pipedream.
The bus to the memory cards is capable of that throughput and 4kHQ/60 processing shows that the processor should be able to handle it but it is not clear if the sensor can support 180fps output. Even if it did, 1080p may be crop rather than line skipped or oversampled. 4k120 has serious overheating issues and ~1800mb/s throughput and that is recording at 4x speed (1 minute of 4k120 = 4 minutes recording time on the CFe card).
Can any other full frame camera support HD/180 and at what price and form factor?

Upvote 0
Where did you read reports of this? Or is this your personal observation? Not sure if it's the same problem that you're describing, but I've been struggling with an issue with my R5 and RF200-500 (and also my RF70-200, I believe), where I was unable to fire the shutter sometimes in AI Servo, continuous drive. After this happened enough times, I realized it wasn't even letting me focus during these times, even though I had a large object with plenty of good horizontal and vertical contrast. I started with 1-point AF, then went up to Expand AF area, then Expand AF area: Around, Zone AF, and finally Large Zone AF: Horizontal, as I couldn't figure out why it was randomly unable to obtain any focus points. Focusing would fail with all of those modes...some days I would have zero issues, some days it happened multiple times. But the day it happened frequently (during 5 out of 20 subjects), I did notice it was locking out the focus at the same time in each pass of the subject...so all at the same distance. I would be able to lock on while the subjects were far away, then my AF and shutter locked out as it got closer, then I was able to shoot again as the subject passed me and got further away again. And to anyone wondering, no, my buffer wasn't filling up...I only took about 3 photos each time, before it locked up on me.
Yes this is pretty much the same issue I am having. There seems to be a threshold distance inside which AF is not interested. And like for you it only happens at odd times, some days not at all. It hasn't occurred following a subject in on Servo AF, but trying to acquire a new subject very much closer. The subject may dominate the frame but neither Spot Focus or Animal Eye Tracking will find it, nor the focus hunt for it.

Upvote 0
When and where? I’ve only seen talk about clog3 with people hoping for clog2 as well.
Post back in Oct 27th mentioned CLOG2.
However I now see the post was updated Nov 2nd with "I have corrected the post, I previously mentioned C-Log 2, but that is not confirmed."

Looks like CLOG2 is not coming after all. Would have been nice, but I guess it guts too much into the C line cameras?

Upvote 0
Is 120 fps enough to allow following a table tennis ball/hockey puck?

it would depend on the shot you’re trying to make. How close are you to the action, are you going for epic slow motion or just need to slow it down to track better? It’s fine for tracking purposes but not as epic as 240. You can always test it out with your iPhone because they shoot in 120 or 240 (sad that my telephone does a better job with slow motion video then my $4000 camera)

Some other things to keep in mind is that you’ll need a lot of light to film at high frame rates. 120fps puts you at a 240th shutter speed and that’s tricky to maintain in an indoor setting. Also fluorescent lights will most likely Flickr very badly at that frame right. Lastly, the R5 is still very limited in its ability to shoot 120 in anything other than small bursts. Even then, you’re taking a chance that it overheats and you’ll have a hot paperweight in your hands for the next 40 minutes.

Upvote 0
As a long time Canon user I wasn’t even aware it wasn’t included until I read posts from people expressing disappointment that it wasn’t added.

Strange days indeed. Most peculiar mama.
Agreed. It should’ve been there from the start and basically makes it so that you can’t shoot slow-motion without risking overheating. 240 FPS at 1080 should be our firmware update to compete with Sony.

The other thing I’ve seen no mention of is that the r5 took away small and medium Raw. With the 5D, you could downsize your files but still maintain raw capability and that’s not the case now! If you don’t need huge 45 megapixel raw files, then that’s just too bad because that’s all you can make with the R5. Sucks for event shooters.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]The other thing I’ve seen no mention of is that the r5 took away small and medium Raw. With the 5D, you could downsize your files but still maintain raw capability and that’s not the case now![..]

No, you couldn't! M-RAW and S-RAW aren't actually RAW, they are debayered, downscaled TIFF images. If you want smaller images, C-RAW is an option worth exploring. And if you actually liked M/S-RAW, HEIF would also be an option.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
Not true.
Sony colors tint everything green.
Except they don’t. V3 Alpha cameras don’t show any green tint, maybe earlier models did? White balance also has a useful colour grid to further edit the colours plus shooting with RAW on any camera you can edit the colours in post to your liking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
Yes this is pretty much the same issue I am having. There seems to be a threshold distance inside which AF is not interested. And like for you it only happens at odd times, some days not at all. It hasn't occurred following a subject in on Servo AF, but trying to acquire a new subject very much closer. The subject may dominate the frame but neither Spot Focus or Animal Eye Tracking will find it, nor the focus hunt for it.

Interesting...have you noticed if you can or can't take pictures (press the shutter) when this happens to you? When this first started happening, I would mash down the shutter button, as I thought maybe I was missing it or not pressing hard enough. It's basically like the camera is freezing (as some other people have described), but the main differences are 1) my EVF has never completely frozen like theirs have and 2) my R5 will "unfreeze" after a few seconds. Canon has said I could send it in, but the R5 is my only body at the moment, and they won't lend me one unless I pay for the $100 CPS membership. Also, I'm not convinced it's a problem specific to my body...it's acting more like a bug that only happens in certain very specific situations, with certain settings active.

Upvote 0