The next major firmware updates for the EOS R5 and EOS R6 will come in Q1 of 2021 [CR2]

Wishlist for the R6:
1) I want to have programmable custom buttons C1-C3 with Video Features like the R and R5. Or at least pre programmable Video Settings when your in Photo Mode and not fully AUTO
2) Separate control over IBIS + Lens IS + Digital IS via Menu
3) Clog 3
4) Better Code for Clog 10bit that will be natively supported by actual GFX Cards (h.265 4.2.0 or 4.4.4)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

andrewtowecreative

Cinematographer | R5 | C300 MK iii
I am tired of unfulfilled promises from Canon. I hope Apple will get into large sensor cinema camera business and put an end to feeble attempts of dinasaur mechanical engineering companies to produce digital cameras that market demands.
That's a hard pass. No need to reinvent the wheel again at three times the price for something you're not specialized in.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
seems to be.. I've certainly been following that advice, life has been stressful for many reasons, but find myself wanting to go take pics and take some time to enjoy it vs the rest of life's stresses. While I would love to see some of the additional features, I'm pretty stoked figuring out where limits are on the R5.. some stuff that was near impossible previously for me is now possible and that's a win! (like planes at night)

September 29, 2012. EOS 7D + EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II. 200mm, ISO 6400, f/2.8, 1/60.201209296625 - CopyHR.JPG201209290110LR.JPG201209290111LR.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
No, you couldn't! M-RAW and S-RAW aren't actually RAW, they are debayered, downscaled TIFF images. If you want smaller images, C-RAW is an option worth exploring. And if you actually liked M/S-RAW, HEIF would also be an option.

oh wow good to know! I never actually used the small or medium RAW but going into 2021 with a lot on the books, i’m looking for ways to lighten the workflow/file management treadmill. 45 megapixels is great for my commercial or fine art work but a bit overkill for things like weddings where I’m archiving 1500+ images a night.

The C-raw files seam great at 2/3rd the sizes so that should help.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
cool and that would've been neat to capture/watch... 1/60th impressive for moving, you must have practiced a bit pan or had some really good gear (gimble?)

I've been at it for about 3 decades. I'd like to think I've learned how to do a couple of things by now.

No gimbal. Lens foot was attached to a Manfrotto 234RC on top of a Manfrotto 680B. Both are still going strong, as is the lens, though it has made a couple of trips to CPS since I shot that one. I kept the bottom of the monopod on the same spot and tilted the whole stick back or forward to pan up and down while panning left to right or right to left by rotating the shaft. IS was in Mode 2 (panning mode).The 7D is long gone, thank goodness. I had to do a lot of localized noise reduction on those shots. Those are pretty much the best of the bunch, but I had a good hit rate that night. Though for some of them the pan is in sync with the smoke rather than the plane. After the smoke exits the plane's slipstream in slows down, but is still moving in the direction the plane was going when it came out of the nozzle.

After Matt Younkin's show was through I was walking back towards my car about a mile or two away when they started a fireworks show out in the cotton field beyond the airport. I wasn't aware of the fireworks plan and didn't have a tripod with me. I wasn't really interested in shooting the fireworks until I saw the light reflecting off these two warbirds as I walked past them. I made do with the monopod, an EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L and my 5D Mark II.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L, 34mm, ISO 1600, f/3.5, 1/5 sec.

201209290140LRhdr.JPG

Upvote 0