[POLL] Would you be interested in a 5D Mark V?

• Thread starter Deleted member 68328
  • Start date

Would you be interested in a 5D Mark V?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Improved Autofocus: the 1DX Mark III can already do face and head recognition through an *OVF* AF sensor. That in itself is rather impressive. This sensor could grow to cover a larger AF area to match the 90-100% image sensor AF coverage of mirrorless.
But even the massively expensive 1DX III can't do eye AF in the OVF, not to mention Animal eye AF. And it doesn't cover 100% of the image either. That's not a restriction of the size of that sensor, as far as I know. It's an problem with the amount and angle of the light hitting the AF sensor. And that's despite how complex of a design it is (it's unlike what's found in any other Canon DSLR). Sure, if you throw enough money at the problem, you can match the R5 performance with an OVF - but probably not at 5D series prices.

Not to mention IBIS, which is simply better suited to RF cameras with the faster communications in the more modern mount and the greater range of motion due to lacking the mirror box.

A DSLR will not match the features of Canons new mirrorless options without going up in price. So the options are giving the market a minor upgrade over the 5D IV, moving the 5D upmarket or simply abandoning it to not cannibalize R5 sales.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...This thread is not about trolling or comparing EVF vs OVF. It's a poll. Please treat it as such...
I guess that fell on deaf ears. :)

Like others, my real answer might be "it depends..."

I will say this, I've been very impressed with the improvements offered on the 1Dx III. It is a significant advancement over the 1Dx II, particularly for autofocus. If a 5DV offered the same improvements and controls with the R5 sensor, I wouldn't even consider the R5, particularly if Canon were to release a 100-500 EF zoom. Only time will tell what Canon does, but given what Nikon is planning, I would be very surprised if they just walked away from the DSLR market and left those buyers on the table.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
It only falls on deaf ears if you don't want someone to explain why they would be interested in 5D Mark V :)
We can mention all of the reasons, as long as it isn't related to the viewfinder. Got it!
You can't ask people for their honest opinion, while putting restrictions on said opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I answered no,

That's hardly surprising as there's been six incarnations of the 5D so far and you haven't bought any of them ! :ROFLMAO:

I still like the idea of a detachable prism finder, interchangeable with an EVF, but I guess that with all the electronics festooned around the prism housing on modern dslrs it may not be possible.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
But even the massively expensive 1DX III can't do eye AF in the OVF, not to mention Animal eye AF. And it doesn't cover 100% of the image either. That's not a restriction of the size of that sensor, as far as I know. It's an problem with the amount and angle of the light hitting the AF sensor. And that's despite how complex of a design it is (it's unlike what's found in any other Canon DSLR). Sure, if you throw enough money at the problem, you can match the R5 performance with an OVF - but probably not at 5D series prices.
Perhaps, but you're still thinking in the past. I'm looking forward. And we really can't say how close Canon could be to such improvements, or how much effort would be involved, unless you are in the loop there.

Not to mention IBIS, which is simply better suited to RF cameras with the faster communications in the more modern mount and the greater range of motion due to lacking the mirror box.
True. I think a compromise would be to provide IBIS for the mirror-up LCD shooting situations. Provide the user with the option.

A DSLR will not match the features of Canons new mirrorless options without going up in price. So the options are giving the market a minor upgrade over the 5D IV, moving the 5D upmarket or simply abandoning it to not cannibalize R5 sales.
I think that makes sense.

Upvote 0
Voted No
Only been out with the R5 a few times so all this maybe premature. I am getting used to the EVF and I am finding the AF quite an advancement on the 5D4. I also like the lesser bulk of the R5. Only downside is the cost of the RF lenses. Will keep the 5D4 as a second camera and keep using my EF lenses with the adapter.

Upvote 0
As a Mk III owner who waited all these years I would say yes for me. when I was out I liked to use my bare eye throught the EVF to try frame something to see if it is as my expectation, done quite often when on trip where I won't want an EVF to do as frequent. and RF lens is not attractive to me personally as I got premium L lenses in past 10 years into photography and I don't see how the next best lens perfecting the corner sharpness or an addition of IS can make my life easier and not costing my arm and leg... even if I buy a R5 or even a R5 mk 2 I don't think I would go buy new lenses and not just let a EF adapter on all the time.. sure as hell if my 5D3 finally give way and died I would get a R6 and use adapter fused in it until all lenses basically is beyond repair and some electronics died inside. DSLR have gone way past what improves our photo experience some 10+ years ago and the improvements don't really tempt me to do any upgrade as a amateur

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

Well, I have no problem with people explaining why they voted yes or no.

Also, I decided to restrict the poll choices to "yes" or "no" in order to have a clearer view and have people take a stance. A "yes, if..." choice is kinda complicated: what comes after the "if"? Some would say "if there are new EF lenses too", other would say "if there's some kind of feature to get rid of AFMA", etc.

Just yes and no makes the whole picture clearer imho.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I sold my MK IV and won't be going back to a SLR. The benefits of my R5 outweigh the OVF of a reflex camera. I can understand using a SLR for birds in flight where the difference in AF ability can make a big difference. Once the quad pixel mirrorless arrives, it will jump ahead.
The R5 has already beaten Canon DSLRs for birds in flight!

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Assuming Canon would release a 5D Mark V (as Nikon plans to release a D850 successor), would you be interested?
Although I see what one can do with an R5 I also see its price.
If a 5D5 would be lower in MRSP and street price than an R5 I'd say definetly "Yes!" (my vote)
I still prefer an OVF.
If it had the same 45 MP sensor and some more new bells and whistles like a better low light AF, maybe 8 or 10 fps,
then my guess would be that the MRSP would be as high as the R5. Then my answer would be "No! I'll go for a R5."

And I suppose that was the conclusion of Canon as well.
So R.I.P. 5D5.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Although I see what one can do with an R5 I also see its price.
If a 5D5 would be lower in MRSP and street price than an R5 I'd say definetly "Yes!" (my vote)
I still prefer an OVF.
If it had the same 45 MP sensor and some more new bells and whistles like a better low light AF, maybe 8 or 10 fps,
then my guess would be that the MRSP would be as high as the R5. Then my answer would be "No! I'll go for a R5."

And I suppose that was the conclusion of Canon as well.
So R.I.P. 5D5.
A camera with those specs is already available at a reasonable price but you will have to go back to the dark side...

• Haha
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nikon always have been the 'photographers' company. I sometimes wish I could get used to lenses mounting the 'wrong' way :)
And lenscaps that not only turn the wrong way but will fit in only one position. Mind you, Canon has caught up with just one position with the R series.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
And lenscaps that not only turn the wrong way but will fit in only one position. Mind you, Canon has caught up with just one position with the R series.
You got me confused there for a moment, before I realized you mean the plastic that covers the lens mount, not the front element. Do we really not have a word for those things, calling it lenscaps on both ends? :unsure:

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You got me confused there for a moment, before I realized you mean the plastic that covers the lens mount, not the front element. Do we really not have a word for those things, calling it lenscaps on both ends? :unsure:
Front or rear or body as an adjective qualifies the noun. It's the body cap of the Nikon, which is also the front cap of the extender, that is the pain. For the RF, its the rear cap and like the Nikon, the body cap which is also front cap of the extender. It makes changing extenders in a hurry a right pain.

Upvote 0