Buying a R3 or R5 in May 2023?

Hi everyone,
after many years of amateur photography, including the last few with the Canon 5D Mark III, I am considering transitioning to the Mirrorless system. However, the timing (May 2023) seems a bit particular because of the rising rumors of new models. So I would like to discuss with you the doubts that are holding me back from making a purchase nowdays:
  1. The most suitable model for my type of photography would be the R5. I mainly take travel photos, landscapes, nature shots, and outdoor portraits. Recently, I have also been capturing outdoor sports activities of my daughter (equestrian). I love sharpness and details, and I'm sure that the R5's 45 megapixels, combined with the EF L-series lenses I already have (which I would keep) and future RF lenses (which I would purchase), would provide me with great satisfaction. However, we are talking about a 2020 model, and there are already rumors about a possible Mark II version being released soon...
  2. Needless to say, I am very attracted to the R3. Like many of you, I have read and watched comparisons between the R5 and R3, and each time the R3 comes out on top. The work Canon has done on this camera is truly exceptional in my opinion, and the recent price drop makes it affordable for me. As an owner of lenses with a significant weight (e.g., EF 85mm f/1.2L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II) and interested in a future purchase of an RF telephoto zoom that reaches 400mm or 500mm, I would like the idea of investing in a body with good balance. Besides, I have always used the battery grip on the 5D, so I am accustomed to the weight and grip. The doubt that is holding me back from purchasing the R3 is not the technology onboard, which I believe will remain valid for a long time, but rather the 24 megapixels resolution. Making such an investment today without granting myself a significant upgrade in detail seems like a missed opportunity at this point in the journey.

So, I've tried to share my doubts with you. Buying a R5, or R3, or just wait... I hope someone who is (or has been) in my same situation can help me with some valuable advice!

Thank you all. Maurizio

I think the bottom line will always be just buy what works best for what you want to do. You mention that you really want the detail afforded by the R5, but the R3 comes out on top in comparisons. Do the places that the R3 beats the R5 matter more to you than where the R5 beats the R3? That's all about what you want to do with the camera.

On releasing new bodies and the thought process behind waiting to see what comes next, the reality is a new body is going to be released. There's always another body coming, whether it's coming in one month, one year, or 5 years, there is almost always another body coming which is comparable and an improvement over what you're using now. If you're just concerned with buying the best camera out there, you will always be disappointed because there is almost always a better camera in the pipeline.

I'm still using a 5DIV but I would be better served by an R5 - my 5DIV isn't broken and is still generating results I'm happy with, so I'm not in a rush to replace it. If your 5DIII is holding you back, the R5 is available today, and on a discount. If you're not being held back by your 5DIII and you have patience and want to see what comes next, just be prepared to wait a long time, because no-one knows when the next body is coming. An R5II could realistically be here before the end of the year, or if it sticks to the 5D release schedule, could arrive somewhere around June-September 2024. But what if it breaks tradition and turns up in 2026? Will your photography be really hampered by waiting another 3 years?

I think at the end of the day, waiting for a new body is hard because you're waiting for something which doesn't have a conclusive arrival date. I'm sure there are people out there who have been waiting for a new 5DSR since 2017 (when the 5DIV was released, 2 years after the original 5DSR, maybe expecting a new body would be released based on the 5DIV updates). You're usually better served by buying a camera which immediately meets your needs and is available today - anything else is kind of gambling. You could always buy the R5 and then sell it if something comes our which is a far better fit - you'll end up spending a bit more over all, but you won't be held back by the camera, you won't have to wait, and it won't be a guessing game. And if a new better body comes out, that doesn't mean the R5 is garbage - it'll likely keep serving you for years regardless. Good luck on your decision!

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Definitely a tough decision. I used battery grips on my early bodies (T1i/500D, 7D, 5DII) then bought a 1D X and I won’t go back to a gripped body as a main camera – the integrated grip is far more comfortable for me than the add-on. I do have smaller cameras mainly for travel (M series kit, more recently an R8).

Personally, ergonomics are a prime consideration for me. My first foray into FF mirrorless was the EOS R. Using that with a lens like the 28-70/2 was an ergonomic nightmare, but that lens balances well with the R3. The 1D X remained my primary camera until I got the R3.

As for MP, I don't typically print large nor do I often crop heavily since I have the EF 600/4 II with extenders when I need to 'get closer'. The 24 MP of the R3 is sufficient for me. In your case, a consideration should be if the MP of your 5DIII is sufficient for your needs, and if so perhaps the ergonomics and speed of the R3 will trump the higher MP count of the R5. For me, they do. Also worth noting that you mention the 'upgrade in detail' and that's about more than MP count. The new AA filters used in recent R-series bodies (including both the R3 and the R5) offer higher real resolution than the older AA filters. Canon claims (and my experience aligns) that the 24 MP sensor in the EOS R3 outresolves the 30 MP sensor in the 5DIV/EOS R. Likewise, the 45 MP R5 outresolves the 50 MP 5DsR. Point being, you will actually see an upgrade in detail with the R3 compared to your 5DIII, even though you're not gaining a meaningful increase in MP count.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
Just got an R3. The thing is a beast. I don't regret it even one bit. $500 off was just the icing on the cake. I would happily buy another one. But with all that said, my primary source of income with photography is in sports. So having a sports and wildlife camera, with the most advanced AF system and 1D level construction, for me is exactly what I need and want. I want the maximum advantage I can get when it comes to that situation where my primary source of income with photography comes from. Its the right tool for the job.

If I was just doing events, photo sessions, weddings, etc. I could easily live with a couple of R5's or a couple of R6's, or a couple of 5DIV's or 5DIII's, 1DX Mark II's or Mark III's, Mark I's. Would the added features of whatever vapor camera be nice? Sure. But if I really really think about it. Do I really need more than what the R5/6 provides? No. I could easily use the R5/6 for the next 10-12 years and generate a bunch of money and awesome photos. So unless you need something super duper special like a sports or wildlife camera, I can't imagine an R5 wouldn't provide exactly what you need for the next 10-12 years of photography. That's just me. Now that's not to say I wouldn't buy an R5 Mark II when it comes out, but I wouldn't buy it for the edge it provides in general photography, I would buy it because I happen to want it. Hope that all makes sense.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Hi everyone,
after many years of amateur photography, including the last few with the Canon 5D Mark III, I am considering transitioning to the Mirrorless system. However, the timing (May 2023) seems a bit particular because of the rising rumors of new models. So I would like to discuss with you the doubts that are holding me back from making a purchase nowdays:
  1. The most suitable model for my type of photography would be the R5. I mainly take travel photos, landscapes, nature shots, and outdoor portraits. Recently, I have also been capturing outdoor sports activities of my daughter (equestrian). I love sharpness and details, and I'm sure that the R5's 45 megapixels, combined with the EF L-series lenses I already have (which I would keep) and future RF lenses (which I would purchase), would provide me with great satisfaction. However, we are talking about a 2020 model, and there are already rumors about a possible Mark II version being released soon...
  2. Needless to say, I am very attracted to the R3. Like many of you, I have read and watched comparisons between the R5 and R3, and each time the R3 comes out on top. The work Canon has done on this camera is truly exceptional in my opinion, and the recent price drop makes it affordable for me. As an owner of lenses with a significant weight (e.g., EF 85mm f/1.2L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II) and interested in a future purchase of an RF telephoto zoom that reaches 400mm or 500mm, I would like the idea of investing in a body with good balance. Besides, I have always used the battery grip on the 5D, so I am accustomed to the weight and grip. The doubt that is holding me back from purchasing the R3 is not the technology onboard, which I believe will remain valid for a long time, but rather the 24 megapixels resolution. Making such an investment today without granting myself a significant upgrade in detail seems like a missed opportunity at this point in the journey.

So, I've tried to share my doubts with you. Buying a R5, or R3, or just wait... I hope someone who is (or has been) in my same situation can help me with some valuable advice!

Thank you all. Maurizio
I have both cameras.
The R5 honestly sounds like the better camera for you.
The R5 is good at sports and arguably better than the R3 at most other things.

The R3 is a better low-light camera, has better video, is more rugged, and obviously better at sports.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
@Maurizio71... for you... >>Refurb R5. The R3 is a beautiful camera, but "bang for your buck" speaking, the R5 is a winner. I am a landscape / architecture, nature shots, and outdoor portraits photo shooter like yourself. I got the R5 C to explore video

I came from a 6D2. I had similar MP reservations so to speak. Passed on the R, RP, R6 and R5. A year ago the R5 was a no way. Today that's not the case and I don't feel the same. Firmware has truly enhanced its potential, and from a stills perspective it hardly gets better. I'd buy one in a second. If you want balance for a big lens, "grip it". A refurb R5 is a fantastic deal. You could even sell it 18 months from now and still profit, plus have use of one of Canon's best camera's ever made. And it is.

The R52 won't be here until next year. You want to blow your wad on something, save for the R1.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I also own both the R3 and the R5. I bought the R3 when I was shooting sports for pay. Even though I had the current 1DX III I got the R3 because I wanted to quit carrying around duplicate lenses and use the 100-500 for outdoor sports. I found the R3 was marginally better than the 1Dx (but don't believe the eye control hype -- it's definitely not ready for prime time).

For almost anything other than sports, I prefer the R5. Even though I could choose either one, if I am shooting for myself I usually pick the R5, largely because of the weight and bulk difference. If you are a user of the grips, then the R3 has better ergonomics. If you don't generally use a grip, the R5 is lighter and smaller.

Surprisingly, the things I never notice when processing files from both cameras is the differences between resolution and high ISO performance. What I am saying is that I usually don't see a big difference in the final results between a cropped R3 image and a cropped R5 image. (Unless it is very severe crop). And, if I am shooting at high ISOs I seldom see any practical difference between the noise in the R3 and the noise in the R5.

In short, I think it comes down to ergonomics and price. If having gripped body is important to you, you will prefer the R3. If you want to save some money, the R5 is a good value right now.

As for new models. If Canon follows it's traditional release schedule, you can expect to see an R5 II sometime in mid-2024 and an R3 II sometime near the end of 2025 or earl 2026. If you are willing to wait that long, you are a better person than I am.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Beastiedawg

CR Pro
Apr 13, 2015
They just dropped the price on the R6. Cheap. I know you didnt list this camera, but I bet that you will be shocked. These cameras are just pretty damn impressive all the way around. At the price, you are not going to go wrong. The systems are different and going to take you a bit to get used to, so having the camera and learning it will help you when the R5-2 is released.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0