Apparent crop marks on display screen that I can't get rid of - anyone know what these are?

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Thanks, no, I had my RF 24-105mm f/4L lens on and tried it with my EF 70-200mm f/4L, corner markings still there.
Are they there even in manual focus mode? Have you always had them or did they appear after you altered some settings?

They do sure look like the limits for the AF area, but I don't know of any circumstances other than using narrow apertures that would restrict it.

Upvote 0
Well, Joules and Aussie shooter, you were right about the AF. I hadn't turned the AF off on the lens! When the lens is switched to MF, the marks are gone.

I still don't know why the marks are showing up now or how I can turn them off, even with AF turned on. They don't offer any advantage that I can see and I assume in trying to set up my new camera, I've somehow enabled them - but I'd really rather not!

Anyway, thanks so much for your help to this point. Any further help is appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Right, but isn't the R6 supposed to have 100% AF area coverage?
It definitely varies depending on the lens. With my 70-200 2.8(ef) it is top to bottom but not quite all the way from side to side. With my sigma 150-600 5.6-6.3 it is less in both directions. I would assume you get 100% with a 1.2 lens or something like it.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It definitely varies depending on the lens. With my 70-200 2.8(ef) it is top to bottom but not quite all the way from side to side. With my sigma 150-600 5.6-6.3 it is less in both directions. I would assume you get 100% with a 1.2 lens or something like it.
I guess so. Before the forum was reset, jprusa hat a quote from Canon here that said only select RF and EF lenses had 100 % coverage.

I guess that means the OP's 24-105 4.0L is not one of those select ones either.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0