The next Canon EOS R5 firmware update is coming next month [CR2]

Dec 25, 2017
1) Battery status on the shoulder display when the camera is off
2) More configurable buttons (eg what about "lock"?)
Cant agree more. The lock button is useless to me. I NEVER lock the buttons... would be great if I could map WB to it.
Also, battery in percentage when camera is off would be awesome and no problem to implement.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Absolutely. The WYSIWYG mirrorless advantage isn't fully realized with Canon taking more of a DSLR approach where the scene is presented wide open.

What? I haven’t used an R5, yet, but that’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard. At least give the option to choose which way you want it to work.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yes, because after being without the camera for ten days, spending those extra five minutes to reset (and refamiliarize oneself with) settings is just maddening. Especially when it needs to be serviced every two or three years!

Well I had to send my 1dx3 in 3 times for an issue and the first time it came back I forgot to save the settings on a card. I have 3 custom modes for stills and 3 custom modes for video. Takes about an hour or so to get them set back up. Then when you are in a blind and a bear you have been waiting on for months shows up and one of your settings did not get addressed. I would just prefer to save them on a card. What does it cost you?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Well I had to send my 1dx3 in 3 times for an issue and the first time it came back I forgot to save the settings on a card. I have 3 custom modes for stills and 3 custom modes for video. Takes about an hour or so to get them set back up. Then when you are in a blind and a bear you have been waiting on for months shows up and one of your settings did not get addressed. I would just prefer to save them on a card. What does it cost you?
Good point. So the 1D bodies are the only ones that can save to cards?

Upvote 0
How and where do we ask/make suggestions? I just want the same function options for the R6 as on the R6.....aka my MF-n button on the R5 i can cycle through my C modes which I use a lot! On the R6 I cant, therefore making it more difficult to make use of these in time sensitive scenarios.

Upvote 0
I want the "Q" screen to behave like how it did on the 5D Mark IV.

It does, but not from a single key press like the 7D Mk II (the same behavior that I've seen on 5D Mark IV). On the R5, press the "INFO" button until you see the "Q" like display you're accustomed to seeing, then press the "Q" button. The fields on the screen are highlighted with boxes. The currently selected field has an orange box around it. You can cycle through the various settings for that field with the large circular scroll wheel on the back, or toggle between fields using the joystick. You can also use the touch screen to select the field you wish to change; when you do that another screen is displayed that allows you to select/modify the different values for that field by touch.

Attachments

• IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 211
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
To the OP, I've been part of NDAs with Casey Neistat, Peter McKinnon, and SuperSaf; helping them shoot various vids. NDAs are super important, especially when it's linked to product releases, especially if the final bits and bugs are being worked out. Companies rely on these people not just for the publicity but also the feed back. With that feedback, it helps fine tune the product before it's released to the public. It also helps fine tune the marketing, being able to push or pull back on what the marketing message should be.

This is especially true, with the R5's launch. Canon left their comfort zone and marketed 8K/4K120, probably at the recommendation of their beta testers. Now, they're probably super careful what they market now...........basically, back to same ole-Canon.

To the R5 firmware rumor, I'll believe it when I see it on usa.canon.com....but if it does come out, I'll gladly be happy to update my R5.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Good point. So the 1D bodies are the only ones that can save to cards?

As far as I know. That being said I think I will end up using the R5 for stills and the 1D for video, so setup won't be so tedious, however there will be times when I only have one or the other. so they will both be fully customized. The modes are great for things like 120p footage which requires a menu dive to activate.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sweet, mostly use my R5 as a B Cam. This will help in post. Also this lets me test things with my R5 so I don't have to bust out the C300 mark iii every time.
What about the C300iii's DGO? Do you use it often? Also, is there a marked difference between the R5 and C300iii or can you manage with making them match?

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
One thing that totaly needs fixing is the totaly unlogical menu-restrictions in some situations.
For example:
If you have digital IS on, you can not choose 8k (which is understandable). But if you try to pick it, its just missing, there is no information why and no simple overwrite of the problematic setting. You have to THINK about all possible options (which can be many) that may cause that, dive back into another menu page, change the setting, than go back.
Same happens if you have higher framerate or HQ mode activated: you cant activate other features (obviously) but you get no info why. There are more examples.
The camera should ask for example: "8k is not availble because you activated digital IS. Should I turn off digital IS off now? - Yes/No"
Basicaly it should say "Operation X not available because of Y - change Y now?"

Also, there should be a single button to switch to videomode/photomode. For example the lock button should be customizable, for this option.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0