Delays seem to be the name of the game for 2021

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been told that Canon had planned to make some sort of a splash ahead of CP+, which begins February 25, 2021, as a virtual show. The source claims that a new body was scheduled to be announced along with a couple of lenses. It now looks like that isn’t going to happen.
There is always a possibility of a development announcement for a camera or lenses, as those tend not to leak ahead of time. Development announcements don’t occur very often, and probably provide some headaches from the impatient type of consumer.
Below are three lenses that have been confirmed numerous times for the RF mount, and all of which will be significantly delayed due to manufacturing challenges. These are the only lenses that I had a confirmed time for an announcement.

Canon RF 18-45mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

This is an interesting lens, especially with its focal range. This tends to be held for APS-C sensor camera kit lenses. It was originally scheduled to be announced in the 1st quarter of 2021. This lens...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
We've had so many great bodies and lenses introduced in the last year or so, that one can almost feel spoiled to hear of further (& long) delays still to come!
But at least we've got CP+ to look forward to for whatever (if any) announcements come of it.

Here's hoping there's something good to hear! :unsure: :sneaky:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dmcavoy

EOS R
Nov 20, 2019
The RF 18-45 is an odd one. Could be an interesting lens for video shooters, especially when using the cropped 4k etc on the R/RP.

But for a wide angle stills lens it's a total non starter. It's not quite a 17-40 replacement, nor it is an affordable UWA option. They really need to hurry up with a good cheap wide angle for RF. Something like an EFS 10-18 type of deal. £2k+ for the RF 15-35 is not an option for most!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The RF 18-45 is an odd one. Could be an interesting lens for video shooters, especially when using the cropped 4k etc on the R/RP.

But for a wide angle stills lens it's a total non starter. It's not quite a 17-40 replacement, nor it is an affordable UWA option. They really need to hurry up with a good cheap wide angle for RF. Something like an EFS 10-18 type of deal. £2k+ for the RF 15-35 is not an option for most!
A RF 14-35 f/4 L is mentioned a few months ago.

I would welcome a (FF) RF18-70 or a RF 17-70 f/4L IS lens as part of the ideal excursion walkaround lens.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Dmcavoy

EOS R
Nov 20, 2019
A RF 14-35 f/4 L is mentioned a few months ago.

I would welcome a (FF) RF18-70 or a RF 17-70 f/4L IS lens as part of the ideal excursion walkaround lens.
A 14-35 f/4L would be ideal as long as they can keep the price point down. I'm still using adapted EF lenses at the moment as the RF L lenses are just way to out of my companies budget.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Depends on the weight for me. I could see myself getting this if it is fairly compact and light. When I am hiking in the woods I rarely need wider than 24mm, but prefer something longer than 35mm much of the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The R5, R6, C70, expensive RF lens selling too well eh No need to introduce other cameras for now
Yes. With demand outpacing supplies even in the midst of a pandemic that severly limits travel opportunities, there is no pressure on Canon to release anything new. They are probably more concerned about ramping up production of the R5, R6 and 100-500 RF lens.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
A crop 18-45mm f/4-5.6 IS STM smells made up. Yes, its a slow & cheap equivalent of a 24-70mm, but why would Canon make it? It would get burnt for being more limited than an 18-55mm (which is cheap enough as it is), and with such slow max aperture & small image circle, is there a real reason to limit it to <3x?

It might make sense as a cheap ultra wide to normal zoom for FF.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
A crop 18-45mm f/4-5.6 IS STM smells made up. Yes, its a slow & cheap equivalent of a 24-70mm, but why would Canon make it?
Well, you have to remember that the RP is now at XXD level prices, so, if they arent making APS-C RF cameras, they need the equivalent ideas for enthusiast level users.

Did canon need to have 18-55 variable, 17-55 f/2,8, 15-85, 17-85 lenses all available? Maybe not, but they gave people different price segments to target and let them pick their trade-offs. An 18-50ish lens matches what Panasonic has in their 20-60; offers a different choice from the 24-105, and gives them maybe even a cheaper kit lens to offer in bundles

Upvote 0
I'm not sure that I understand the niche for the 100-400 rumour unless it's either very compact, reasonably cheap, or very very sharp. I always felt (right or wrong) that the 100-500 was a spiritual successor to the EF 100-400 so duplicating the lens on RF seems like an unexpected choice. I'm definitely curious to learn more about where it fits in to the lineup.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Well, you have to remember that the RP is now at XXD level prices, so, if they arent making APS-C RF cameras, they need the equivalent ideas for enthusiast level users.

Did canon need to have 18-55 variable, 17-55 f/2,8, 15-85, 17-85 lenses all available? Maybe not, but they gave people different price segments to target and let them pick their trade-offs. An 18-50ish lens matches what Panasonic has in their 20-60; offers a different choice from the 24-105, and gives them maybe even a cheaper kit lens to offer in bundles
Indeed. In the day, I bought the EF-S 17-55 IS USM as the walk around lens for my 7D. I briefly considered the 15-85, but it has inferior optics. There certainly wasn't any equivalent L glass for an APS-C sensor.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
18-45 would be with apsc image circle or full frame?
My personal theory is both. It'll be like the 24-240 - where at the wide end of FF it vignettes heavily and relies on heavy software correction (which works well, to be sure). But will work very well on an APS-c body we have yet to see. In this way, they will be creating lower cost entry level FF lenses that are also bread-and-butter lenses on APS-c bodies. One mount then allows two sensor sizes.

-Brian

Upvote 0