The next Canon EOS R5 firmware update is coming soon

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
And here's dumb old me sitting here really happy with my camera.

I had kind of a weird auto focus thing going on but a camera reset seems to have fixed it.

I use my 7D2/5D4/EOS-R/R5 interchangeably and haven't done a whole lot of custom mapping/whatnot - I learned what did what and matched up what I could between them and off to the races. If I let a camera sit for a while (like my 40D or Rebel) it takes a couple of minutes to remember all the ins and outs of how it works but nothing major.

I guess I'm not advanced enough to know any better.
I don’t think you will find R5 owners who don’t like their purchase. I seriously love this camera.

What most won’t love are the limitations and what it takes in buying or carrying additional gear or process changes to make up for the limitations when other like products in class and price don’t have them. There’s also little bugs here and there that feel easy to fix, but again it’s more to do with the $4K price that would suggest the little things be ironed out(mentioning random shutdowns would be beating a dead horse).

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I don’t think you will find R5 owners who don’t like their purchase. I seriously love this camera.

What most won’t love are the limitations and what it takes in buying or carrying additional gear or process changes to make up for the limitations when other like products in class and price don’t have them. There’s also little bugs here and there that feel easy to fix, but again it’s more to do with the $4K price that would suggest the little things be ironed out(mentioning random shutdowns would be beating a dead horse).

Which other products in price and class are you referring to?

I was referring more to the trend of remapping everything. I've remapped one button on my R5 and that's to switch between animal eye AF and single point AF. I guess if I were more adventurous I'd be all over the place but I prefer to keep as much commonality between my cameras as I can. I find that my muscle memory of each one's stock positions work better than trying to make different cameras feel more the same

I know I'm a one-off - most people don't actively shoot a bunch of different bodies.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
That's merely European nonsense, like defining the "official" shape of bananas and cucumbers.
Or, like in France, considering a 45 degree angle of the male "attribute" in a movie doesn't yet classify the movie as an X-rated one...but 46 degrees do !
Only video cameras are allowed higher recording time, a taxation issue.
Makes sense, doesn't it?:eek:
I don't have a proper source for this. But since you don't have that either: As far as I understand, the tax (which is no longer a thing) was put in place because at the time the camcorders affected by it were also able to record TV signals, so in order to make using them for piracy more expensive, 30 minutes was determined as the reasonable balance where a private user recording an event should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
And here's dumb old me sitting here really happy with my camera.

I had kind of a weird auto focus thing going on but a camera reset seems to have fixed it.

I use my 7D2/5D4/EOS-R/R5 interchangeably and haven't done a whole lot of custom mapping/whatnot - I learned what did what and matched up what I could between them and off to the races. If I let a camera sit for a while (like my 40D or Rebel) it takes a couple of minutes to remember all the ins and outs of how it works but nothing major.

I guess I'm not advanced enough to know any better.
Custom mapping is amazing and once you try it, you wonder why you never did before. It's so easy on the r5. I don't remember it being this easy on my first camera, the 6d or the 6d2.

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
@everyone!
Please send your ideas and critics directly to Canon :)! otherwise nothing will change...

Also for R users. To have some options only the RP and the new ones have (Focus stacking) and others.

For a future R5 user....I really want smaller Raw resolutions (M/S-Raw!!!)!

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
Wow, still no talk of adding zebras to the stills or different fps for the ES? Does Canon even care about still photographers anymore?
I would love zebras for manual exposure that could be set for different clipping levels.
Currently Canon is focused on video as it seems everyone asks for video features.
What puzzles me is that I see exactly zero videos made by enthusiasts and only some made by professionals.
I suspect a lot of amateur video mimics the efforts of the home movie crowd of the 60's who inflicted their tiresome videos of the backs of people's heads at Disneyland and jumpy shots of strangers in bathing suits at the beach on unwitting neighbors and truculent children.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have just a few issues, they're minor but annoying

- Electronic shutter mode switches the camera to 12 bit mode and you can't do exposures longer then 0.5s. That's a ridiculous limitation, Canon's cripple hammer in all its glory.

- I use back button focus when shooting landscapes so that the camera doesn't refocus accidentally, however it still refocuses when I change the focus point on the LCD screen. There's no way to turn it off and it's very easy to refocus by accidentally touching the screen at random place.

- Absolutely ridiculous 2 second min interval for time-lapses. Why am I not able to set it to 1s? The camera can do 8K 30fps and can't do time-lapses at 1fps? Cripple hammer again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
- Absolutely ridiculous 2 second min interval for time-lapses. Why am I not able to set it to 1s? The camera can do 8K 30fps and can't do time-lapses at 1fps? Cripple hammer again.
That does sound like a silly limitation, a way around this is you could use a shutter release cable, set to continuous mode then lock the shutter release cable, the camera will keep going until you unlock the cable button. This works perfectly on a 700D.

Upvote 0
I'm new to the R5. Is there a way to magnify the image while recording video to verify focus (AF & MF)? All the Canon camera's I've owned have this important feature.

If it's not possible on the R5, I'd say that's my #1 wish to be included in the new firmware

For manual focus, you should trust the focus guide and the focus peaking. I use both together. You'll get razor sharp focus.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
The R came with LP-E6N, the E6 is from before the 5Div days so if you bought your R used someone gave you a old battery that didn’t come with the R

The 7D Mark II introduced the LP-E6N in 2014. Canon may have continued to produce LP-E6 batteries for a couple of years after that? Still, that would make any LP-E6 battery at least 5 years old now. Unless one is talking about 3rd party LP-E6 clones, which is a whole other can of worms (and probably why Canon firmware limits the fps when using them...).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but if you're actually trying to get the best out of a $4000 camera, why worry yourself with anything less than first-party batteries that can cause trouble with the FPS? Will never understand why people spend thousands on a camera(close to 1500 more than a R6, which is easily the cost of 20 real LP-E6NH) but worry about the $30 difference in knock-off batteries.

I wouldn't mind paying a premium for Canon batteries if they were remotely better than *quality* 3rd party offerings. But they're not. My better 3rd party LP-E6/LP-E6N batteries take more recharge cycles before they eventually wear out than my Canon batteries do. So you want me to pay twice as much for a battery that doesn't last as many recharge cycles?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Focus stack with flash would be nice. I don't need video updates. Also can they build a wireless remote that doesn't have to be on a 2 or 10 second delay. I'm not interested in carrying around my bulky iPhone to snap shots wire free!

Most third party wireless sets that use the N3 wired remote port are very affordable and very usable. I guess it all depends on the use case, but I use my wired cable release with a long cord more than anything else.

Upvote 0
That does sound like a silly limitation, a way around this is you could use a shutter release cable, set to continuous mode then lock the shutter release cable, the camera will keep going until you unlock the cable button. This works perfectly on a 700D.
Yes there are workarounds, but I'd have to set the camera to jpeg only first, and then stitch thousands of images into one movie. Not a hugely practical solution.

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Most third party wireless sets that use the N3 wired remote port are very affordable and very usable. I guess it all depends on the use case, but I use my wired cable release with a long cord more than anything else.
I do have a wired remote but I’m constantly accidentally pulling to much on it and slightly moving the camera. Would just be easy to have a wireless Bluetooth palm size remote to trigger from further away And not worry about pulling or bumping.

Upvote 0