The next Canon EOS R5 firmware update is coming soon

Australisblue

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2016
Happy to be an early purchaser of the R5 albeit at a premium price. I did get a bundled spare battery and sold the strap so some discount overall. Deposit was down with digidirect in Feb 2020 as I expected to go on a Scandinavian/Iceland holiday in July which didn't happen.
I had included the RF100-500mm in the R5 pre-order but cancelled the lens as it was just too much especially as the R5 was more expensive than I had budgeted for.
In September, I pre-ordered the RF100-500mm when they had a 15% off sale and got it 2 weeks later! I missed the 20% off sales but also got the RF70-200mm @ 15% off. Happy camper overall :)
I don't have any compelling reason to buy another RF lens in the current lineup. Even a RF replacement EF16-35mm/4 or EF100mm macro couldn't be justified at this time. If my EF24-105mm/4 gets broken then the RF version will be perfect though.
I would be happy with your 15% off the RF 100-500, I bought mine in the 20% off sale afterwards and I'm still waiting for it (back-ordered from Canon). My order was placed back in October 2020. Although I'm pretty happy overall as all the other RF lenses from the same order arrived quite some time ago :-D

Upvote 0

B00MST!CK

R5c | R5 | c100ii | xf100 | xha1
Feb 26, 2021
For manual focus, you should trust the focus guide and the focus peaking. I use both together. You'll get razor sharp focus.
Unfortunately there's no focus guide when shooting manual focus with non Canon glass. Specifically Sirui anamorphic glass adapted to the RF mount. Focus peaking only. Do you or does anyone else know an email address to contact Canon directly for firmware update requests? As aforementioned, the ability to magnify to verify focus while recording video has been a feature since the xha1 days.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I do have a wired remote but I’m constantly accidentally pulling to much on it and slightly moving the camera. Would just be easy to have a wireless Bluetooth palm size remote to trigger from further away And not worry about pulling or bumping.

Wrap the wire around one of the adjustment knobs on your tripod with plenty of slack between there and the camera.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
How about Canon fixes up problems with other current DSLR's like the 90D's shocking exposure inconsistencies when using a Canon Speedlite with Evaluative Metering. I can fire 3 frames in a row of the same scene and often get over 5 stops variation in the exposures, more often than not the images are severely over exposed with the most overexposed sometimes the last image taken, so it's not a flash failing to recharge in time issue. I have 2 x 90D's bought months apart with quite different serial numbers so they're not from the same batch and both do it regardless of whether I am using a 600EX-RT or 600EX II-RT or the built-in flash, with it particularly unpredictable in Evaluative Metering mode. My cheaper 750D gets flash exposures bang on 95% of the time, but the much more expensive 90D's are shockingly bad at it. It is not just my pair, the internet is full of complaints from 90D users all over the world with the same issue but not a peep from Canon anywhere about releasing a firmware update to address it. Non-flash photography is hit and miss using Evaluative metering mode too but not as bad as when using a flash. This is strange given that every Canon camera I have owned right back to film models like the EOS630 had Evaluative metering that just worked a treat, but in the 90D, it's as unpredictable as a bottle of nitroglycerine on a trampoline. Please Canon, fix the 90D's woeful flashy exposure calculations with a firmware update for your non R series cameras. There's something wrong when I feel more confident taking an old 1200D on a flash shoot than a current 90D. Why this never got picked up in magazine reviews shows how little they truly test cameras. Then again, I notice mobile phone reviews nowadays can spend a page waffling on about cameras and music quality and make no meniton of how well or not it actually makes a phone call.

Five words:

Manual Exposure

Manual Flash Power

There, I fixed it for you.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Wrap the wire around one of the adjustment knobs on your tripod with plenty of slack between there and the camera.
I would bet that doesn't solve macrunning's problem; they would be pulling on the tripod instead of the camera, and more likely to do so because the remaining cord on the remote is shorter.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I would bet that doesn't solve macrunning's problem; they would be pulling on the tripod instead of the camera, and more likely to do so because the remaining cord on the remote is shorter.

Maybe not, but it does prevent the motion of the cord when it is not pulled tight from having as much influence on the camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Ran into an issue today that seems like it could be an easy R5 firmware update fix. When I set the control ring on an RF lens to the focus points a little menu shows up in the VF, displaying which focus setting you are switching to. Is it possible for Canon to add this same feature for the Exposure Compensation. I changed the control ring today to adjust the EC and it doesn't provide any visual feedback in the viewfinder. The only thing that happens is the VF gets lighter or darker. There is no way of telling how much lighter/darker you have adjusted the EC. By the way we are now half way thru March. So much for that Feb firmware update!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Never had an issue with my R5 (touch wood)......but my R6 black screens me so often in want to drown it.

I'm a wildlife photographer and when I try to wake it up from its auto sleep it's just a big black whole of nothing. Removing battery is the only fix.

Worst part is it will only happen when the animals are doing something unique or exciting

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Never had an issue with my R5 (touch wood)......but my R6 black screens me so often in want to drown it.

I'm a wildlife photographer and when I try to wake it up from its auto sleep it's just a big black whole of nothing. Removing battery is the only fix.

Worst part is it will only happen when the animals are doing something unique or exciting
Sorry for your problem, but you might not have noticed you've replied to a one-year dormant thread about an old R5 fw update...

Upvote 0