Purchasing gear from Greentoe

I ran across this US site called Greentoe where you make an offer on an item and "a network" of retailers decide if they want to accept it or not. I recently made a bid on an OMD EM5 Mark III kit for $1250 and it was accepted. I also made a bid on an EF 100mm macro lens for $999 for fun, which was also accepted. I didn't think it would be, so I actually canceled that order. But the Olympus kit is now on the way, so the site seems legit. They sell all different kinds of products, but it seems the camera gear comes from one specific retailer on the East Coast. When you buy an item you agree to not divulge the name of the retailer, so I guess I can't say who it is. Their gear is all new with a 30 day return policy (from the ship date, not arrival date) and free shipping. I live in California and I noticed they didn't even charge me sales tax, which is now a no-no apparently, but I'm not complaining. Has anyone used them before?

Also apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Last edited:

mpphoto

CR Pro
Dec 15, 2013
I've purchased lenses from them a few times. I think I've had 3 offers accepted over the years and maybe twice as many declined. Each time my offer was accepted, the seller turned out to be one of the big ones we all know. Greentoe is a decent way to save money on new items if you can't find a lower price through a sale, CPW Street Price, or refurb.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
You can't purchase from Greentoe as your title implies. They just put you in touch with a legitimate reseller who will meet your price. You are buying from that retailer. Greentoe gets a referral fee if you buy.

Companies can sell gear for below MAP prices as long as they do not publicly advertise. If a person posts the name of the company, that might be seen as advertising, so they ask that you don't.

As far as sales tax, States require that it be collected but only go after the big sellers, 95% of small sellers don't charge sales tax unless the state comes after them. Its not worth the cost to pursue a few sales.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Yes, I know. I obviously put that title there for the sake of simplicity because Greentoe is the liaison between you and the seller, like eBay or third party sellers on Amazon. I know how it works.
You may know, but you are telling many of our members otherwise. They may have never heard of it before. THINK!!

Upvote 0