Confirmed, a Canon EOS R5c is going to be announced this year [CR3]

Such a slap in the face to those of us who bought the R5 IMO.
I love my R5! The video features were the best in one package until the A7Siii (with its stills limitations) and now A1 at a significant premium.
Use the right tool for your workflow. I'm sure that there are plenty of people willing to take your R5 off your hands :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
The R5 is a fantastic camera for those who recognize its limitations—and those are minimal. That the “R5C” will bring active cooling and still retain all of the hybrid attributes is excellent news!
The R5 is definitely capable of more than it initially gave. Overheating is really overblown.

The features included in sub 1k-2k cameras from Sony/Panasonic/Nikon/bm ,Canon is missing from the 4K-6k options. It really a miscalculation from the Canon group. They have already noted they don’t think their R5 buyers are video shooters. They are slowly adding them....but the real issue is the price of entry for a 10 bit “cinema” camera from canon is the size and cost of a C70 and if you want to take pictures you need to buy another Camera.

Most Photographers discount they benefit from hybrid video shooters buying the same cameras. It makes production of lenses and sensors more cost effective.

The R5 is selling well, I just think it’s Canon shooters upgrading and not other brands switching. I love my Canons, I just think you have to love Canon to shoot the expensive cameras. If I were Canon, It would really burn me up if I let Black Magic use my lenses(most buy used) and Mount to take my customers.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It seems to me like Canon are saying , we made a mistake with the R5 so we will now release another one , with cooling built in so the video side works better .

Marketing mistakes aside, the EOS R5 is a stills first camera. There are still more stills buyers than hybrid buyers. The #1 target market for the R5 was 5D shooters.

A larger body and active cooling will add at least $1000 to the price. An R5 launching at $4899 would have caused a revolt. Stills shooters don't need to be paying for a fan, they're already annoyed with the assumption that they're paying for excessive video features.

An R5c would have been in the pipeline long before the release of the R5.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Don't understand the bit about it still being a Hybrid as it would make the R5 almost redundant?

In the UK the R5 is £4200 and the C70 is £4800 so cost wise the R5c has to come in between and will hurt sales of both.

R5c = full frame, 8K, down sampled 4K HQ
C70 = DGO, codecs, XLR audio features, ND's, DR.

Will be a tough call between those two
Why, the C70 is an s35 camera that shoots 4K, a FF camera that shoots 8k is going to cost more.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I didn’t know that I complained!
Don;t argue with clown fan boys. It isn't worth one bit of your time. Had Canon were generous with these features these very same clowns will come out and brag about all of those. These are the same crowd that said there is no need for mirroless cameras because DSLR was superior. If not for Sony Canon and Nikon will be still stuck with 10 fps for stills and 1080p video even in 2021.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Marketing mistakes aside, the EOS R5 is a stills first camera. There are still more stills buyers than hybrid buyers. The #1 target market for the R5 was 5D shooters.

A larger body and active cooling will add at least $1000 to the price. An R5 launching at $4899 would have caused a revolt. Stills shooters don't need to be paying for a fan, they're already annoyed with the assumption that they're paying for excessive video features.

To be fair, canon did not even do a decent job with the heat sink. I am sure you would have watched the video of someone opening up an R5 and added water cooling if not I sugest you to take a look at that. I am not saying Canon should do water cooling but at least they could have added a better heat sink and a better heat transfer mechanism. Having said that what I doubt now is, it was not a mistake or ignorance on Canon' part but it was a deliberate business decision coz now they can sell two bodies with the same guts but with an active cooling

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
People who are expecting Canon is going to add more features to R5C are setting themselves up for huge disappointment. Knowing Canon they will repeat the same thing what Sony did with FX3 and demand more for the camera. They may remove the 30min recording limit and may add a full size HDMI port (I still feel chances or less for this). Other than that knowing Canon' history I would bet Canon will not add anything else.

So here is my expectation for R5C

No recording limit
Can record 8k30 and 4k30 HQ pretty much until memory card fills up or battery runs out
Price close to $5k US

50-50 chances
Full size HDMI

Less probable feature
4K60p HQ

If Canon were to add any more feature the price will be closer to $8k US

Hopefully the R5 will come down in price.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020

Thats probably is the biggest miss, “stills first”. Given the time needed for R&D they could not have expected a Pandemic to push everyone to staying home, but Video/podcast/streaming content creation is king right now. If you are a working or aspiring Photographer you probably should be at least working on video or at least be looking to get the most out of anything you spend 4-5k on unless you just have luxury money.

M50 is the best camera for the money(bm4k honorable mention) out but from the M50 to the C70/R5 the video value gap is wide. The justification of buying and hauling a dedicated cinema camera for non professionals is just not there if the still camera is going to be $4-5k

The R5/R6 are perfect for Canon shooters who love Canon but as someone who gets to use most cameras the value is just not there from the outside looking in. Yes I will be buying the R5c , but just because I can , not because it is smart. lol

The R5 is honestly the best hybrid out, Canon made it just unreliable/expensive enough to where you can’t say it is your main video camera. That feels like the miss.

Side note: Does anyone else like the R6 grip more than the R5? I actually enjoy holding it more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I believe the R5 & R5C can coexist as they are targeting 2 different users. You either need the recording time of the C or you don't... and if you don't, there really isn't a need to get the bigger, and most likely, more expensive camera.

Now the interesting thing is what excuse will the fly by night youtube 'reviewers' give that 'they are returning the camera because...' that's not a smoke screen for returning before the CC bill is due or before return policy expires that they never intended to keep (if they really had it at all). The R5's limited recording time was quite a convenient excuse for them, while being click-bait at the same time (the limits were not a secret before release, but the initial cool down times were not really apparent... however most of the info on both was widely available right after release so it shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone picking up the camera late). Don't get me wrong... I think most reviewers were genuine in the beginning regardless of the review they gave (good or bad) especially during the fact-finding stage, but towards the end it kind of felt like people were just farming views.

Also w/ active cooling, it can be done in a way that doesn't expose the elements to the internal workings of the camera... or even the fan/peltier electronics for that matter.

Upvote 0
To be fair, canon did not even do a decent job with the heat sink. I am sure you would have watched the video of someone opening up an R5 and added water cooling if not I sugest you to take a look at that. I am not saying Canon should do water cooling but at least they could have added a better heat sink and a better heat transfer mechanism. Having said that what I doubt now is, it was not a mistake or ignorance on Canon' part but it was a deliberate business decision coz now they can sell two bodies with the same guts but with an active cooling
Watched the video a while ago and it was very interesting! What was clear is that Canon couldn't have moved the heat to the rear body (behind the screen) as it would have low temperature burn points on the rear body. It could have been damaging for the screen if turned in as well. The specific use case of tripod mount with screen out and no touching the external body is perfect but Canon could not have got the body through testing otherwise.
My thought was to have a heat pipe to the tripod mount where a specific grip with active cooling and another battery would have been perfect. Charge USD1k and you get the best of both worlds at an appropriate price point for each.
Sony has done an amazing job with the A1 for thermal control but their record rates are very low compared to the R5. No CFe type B card which is a heat generator either.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Watched the video a while ago and it was very interesting! What was clear is that Canon couldn't have moved the heat to the rear body (behind the screen) as it would have low temperature burn points on the rear body. It could have been damaging for the screen if turned in as well. The specific use case of tripod mount with screen out and no touching the external body is perfect but Canon could not have got the body through testing otherwise.
My thought was to have a heat pipe to the tripod mount where a specific grip with active cooling and another battery would have been perfect. Charge USD1k and you get the best of both worlds at an appropriate price point for each.
Sony has done an amazing job with the A1 for thermal control but their record rates are very low compared to the R5. No CFe type B card which is a heat generator either.
Sony hasnt done jack but limit recording options and enable Auto Temp Off = High allowing the user to record in overtemp mode. As evident by its FX3 release. Which pretty much tells you that passive cooling options have played out. Any other hardware advances are null without active cooling. Even the thinest tablets and Surface pro units have fans. The heat has to go somewhere. Period.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Sony hasnt done jack but limit recording options and enable Auto Temp Off = High allowing the user to record in overtemp mode. As evident by its FX3 release. Which pretty much tells you that passive cooling options have played out. Any other hardware advances are null without active cooling. Even the thinest tablets and Surface pro units have fans. The heat has to go somewhere. Period. Board damage when user has Auto Temp Off = High recorded to CMOS isnt covered under waranty as noted on Sony website states that user should NOT record continuously in this mode for extended periods. The FX3 with active cooling thus released to prime Sony users of any future advancements in video hybrid cameras should expect a fan.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Thats bad news for current R5 owners , that means the next firmware updates are not going to sort the heating issues out , or add much to the video side of the current R5
Its called physics. What thin high performance laptop or tablet exist without a fan? None. The heat is sorted out. Canon forced everyones hand with the R5 by showing the limitations of a passive cooling device.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Thats bad news for current R5 owners , that means the next firmware updates are not going to sort the heating issues out , or add much to the video side of the current R5
The R5's "heat issues" is just limitation by real world physics, no firmware update will be able to "fix" this. It is clear that a non-actively cooled sensor with IBIS, i.e. weak heat transportation links that people like in this forum demanded for, will not allow for unlimited 8K videos. Bit streams are electric current, and high bit rates produce severe losses by electrical resistance. Silicon technology generally suffers from such losses. That's why the fastest conventional computer processors are stuck in the 4 GHz range since many years - higher frequencies would melt them. The only proper solution to this "problem" is active cooling of the sensor, i.e. a new camera. The R5 never was designed as an unlimited video tool.

Upvote 0