Is a mini Cinema EOS C70 in the pipeline? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We don’t get as much chatter about Cinema EOS products as we do with photography/hybrid focused products, but when we do, they tend to be fairly accurate. It looks like 2024 will also see Canon finally move forward with new Cinema EOS products. One camera that has been mentioned recently is a smaller version of

See full article...

Jul 19, 2011
A fusion of R5C and C70 would be needed.
R5C is too picky in power supplies - barrel type plug like in C70 is king.
C70 lacks the EVF.
Full compatibility with Ronin gimbals via Bluetooth and/or USB-C also in video mode.

I'm fine with the form factor of the C70. Just add EVF, controls matching Ronin gimbals
and true network capabilities to make me a happy camper. Top off with the capability
to record directly to SSD and I won't stop dancing.

Upvote 0

Tidy Media

R5 | R6 | R3 | C70
Jul 13, 2020
A fusion of R5C and C70 would be needed.
R5C is too picky in power supplies - barrel type plug like in C70 is king.
C70 lacks the EVF.
Full compatibility with Ronin gimbals via Bluetooth and/or USB-C also in video mode.

I'm fine with the form factor of the C70. Just add EVF, controls matching Ronin gimbals
and true network capabilities to make me a happy camper. Top off with the capability
to record directly to SSD and I won't stop dancing.

How much I'd love a FF C70 size body w/ IBIS.

And before anyone goes saying "Cinema cameras shouldn't have IBIS", Sony seems to think it's fine in the Burano.
If Canon wants to compete with the likes of the FX3 they really need to step up their small cine body game.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
With only 2 RF mount cinema cameras, I think Canon needs another full frame RF mount cinema camera. Something to replace the R5 C and C500 mkII. I'm all for small, but we have all this great RF glass and limited places to use them.

@quakator is right about full compatibility with gimbals and true network capability. The fact that my R5 C has on board wi-fi tha that I cannot use in cinema mode is painful omission. I send these feedback requests to canon periodically. I'm not going to buy a WFT-R10A for network when the chip is already present. Camera control with a ronin or zhiyun is (photo only) for the most part. I do really love my R5 C. Its a fantastic camera, but with external power which we all use anyway, stabilizer and wireless control appears to be within reach.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
With only 2 RF mount cinema cameras, I think Canon needs another full frame RF mount cinema camera. Something to replace the R5 C and C500 mkII. I'm all for small, but we have all this great RF glass and limited places to use them.

@quakator is right about full compatibility with gimbals and true network capability. The fact that my R5 C has on board wi-fi tha that I cannot use in cinema mode is painful omission. I send these feedback requests to canon periodically. I'm not going to buy a WFT-R10A for network when the chip is already present. Camera control with a ronin or zhiyun is (photo only) for the most part. I do really love my R5 C. Its a fantastic camera, but with external power which we all use anyway, stabilizer and wireless control appears to be within reach.
The R5C shows how much the cinema firmware can get improved with features from the regular firmware and vice versa.

Upvote 0
I\'m so eager for a baby c70 for perfect match between them! DGO sensro, C-log2, built-in NDs, 4k 120 and raw are must in 2024 but from the other hand what would be different against c70 I wonder! So I take this with a lot of grain and salt as Canon won\'t make a same cinema camera in a more compact form factor. They have R5c for this no matter what it was a failure attempt if you ask my opinion... from the other hand the sales were good enough as it was a still camera also. Hope we can see some good cinema cameras from Canon in 2024 and especially before summer!

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
How much I'd love a FF C70 size body w/ IBIS.
When the R5 appeared, I skipped it, claiming that I was willing to spend
an additional 500 for a body without IBIS.

Canon heard me, introduced the R5C and took my 500.

I have seen too much footage with funny jiggling when the
IBIS amplitude was'nt enough to compensate and had to
reset back. IBIS is nice for stills, but I believe that real stabilization
(tripod, sandbag, gimbal) is superior in results to any IBIS out there.

Upvote 0
The article had me right up until it said this "mini c70" would share a similar form factor to the c70, just smaller, rather than being a box style camera. I truly LOVE the c70 (I have multiple), but really would like something that is more modular, like a box style camera. Obviously this is another low level, probably meritless rumor, so I can still sit here and hope for a box style camera at some point. For now, I'm content with the C70, given all the updates they've done to it.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The article had me right up until it said this "mini c70" would share a similar form factor to the c70, just smaller, rather than being a box style camera. I truly LOVE the c70 (I have multiple), but really would like something that is more modular, like a box style camera. Obviously this is another low level, probably meritless rumor, so I can still sit here and hope for a box style camera at some point. For now, I'm content with the C70, given all the updates they've done to it.
There are both patents and rumors of a box-style cinema EOS camera but it would make more sense for that to be a C200 II.

Upvote 0
There are both patents and rumors of a box-style cinema EOS camera but it would make more sense for that to be a C200 II.
yup, I know all about that! Been anxiously waiting on it since it first was rumored in 2020. The initial rumors did predict a c200II, and that was probably true then, but I think Canon is due for something pretty substantial in the cinema lineup. Regardless of what that is, as long as the box-cam has the same DGO sensor, I would be happy. I have a feeling we are going to see a stacked DGO as well as a FF DGO this year.

Upvote 0