RF 70-200 F2.8 lens "need expert opinions and peace of mind"

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
I just got a semi used RF 70-200 2.8 len from guy in jersey city union city nj area today for less then 2300
and I noticed when I got home the lens rattles/wobbles a little nothing severe YET, but is that NORMAL? and like how the R5 shakes when its off and etc are these shakes/rattles/wobbles NORMAL or should i get it checked somehow?

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I just got a semi used RF 70-200 2.8 len from guy in jersey city union city nj area today for less then 2300
and I noticed when I got home the lens rattles/wobbles a little nothing severe YET, but is that NORMAL? and like how the R5 shakes when its off and etc are these shakes/rattles/wobbles NORMAL or should i get it checked somehow?
Here are more people sharing the same experience: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4453047

And here's a discussion on what is causing it in the new RF lenses: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4546469

There are also similar threads on this forum, but Google didn't spit them out when I put in a quick search.

So, unless you could name a more specific issue, it seems your experience is normal.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Here are more people sharing the same experience: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4453047

And here's a discussion on what is causing it in the new RF lenses: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4546469

There are also similar threads on this forum, but Google didn't spit them out when I put in a quick search.

So, unless you could name a more specific issue, it seems your experience is normal.
The first DPR thread has replies from people with EF lenses that rattle because they have removed them before turning the camera off and the EF IS unit doesn't park if you do that. The second thread is from Yuenglinger about the RF 100-500mm where the IS elements do move around but they don't make a rattling noise.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The first DPR thread has replies from people with EF lenses that rattle because they have removed them before turning the camera off and the EF IS unit doesn't park if you do that. The second thread is from Yuenglinger about the RF 100-500mm where the IS elements do move around but they don't make a rattling noise.
I don't see the EF lenses mentioned in the first thread.

There are people who suggest that turning the camera off in a specific way should prevent the wobbling but as I read it, that is not the case as the RF lenses do not park the IS element anymore. Which is further elaborated upon in the RF 100-500 wobble thread.

Is that information wrong? Does the RF 70-200 mm differ from the 100-500 mm after all? I don't even have an RF body of any kind, let alone this specific lens so I can't provide the expert advice sought after here. Hence I just linked sources that from my interpretation describe the same effect as the OP.

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com

OK THKS I ALSO UPDATED THE FIRMWARE LAST NIGHT AND WILL TEST THE LENS SAT IF ITS NOT TOO COLD OUT IN CENTRAL PARK

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
CANON REPLIED WITH THIS TODAY BELOW

Dear Anthony _____,
Thank you for writing to us. My name is Eric and I understand you have questions about the RF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM lens and I can assist.

Noise is normal as the image stabilization of the lens causes the internal components of the lens to move. The movement of these components can sometimes be heard.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,
Eric
Technical Support Representative

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I don't see the EF lenses mentioned in the first thread.

There are people who suggest that turning the camera off in a specific way should prevent the wobbling but as I read it, that is not the case as the RF lenses do not park the IS element anymore. Which is further elaborated upon in the RF 100-500 wobble thread.

Is that information wrong? Does the RF 70-200 mm differ from the 100-500 mm after all? I don't even have an RF body of any kind, let alone this specific lens so I can't provide the expert advice sought after here. Hence I just linked sources that from my interpretation describe the same effect as the OP.
Here are the refs to EF lenses you missed in the thread, which had very few participants:
What I have found is on some larger zooms that if you remove the lens from the body while power is on, you can get a rattle. SO turn off the camera before removing the lens.

My EF 100 L Macro sounds terrible, as do other examples of the lens that I've checked (four or five) but the ability to make noise does NOT effect its ability to make images...

Exactly!! The 100 Macro is scary sounding. I have detached it without turning the camera off while the IS is still whirling. That even makes things more loose and rattly. If you let IS come to a stop things get a little more solid sounding, but I thought it was broken when I first got it. One noisy lens.

They are all for EF lenses that rattle. I have the 100-500mm - it wobbles but doesn't rattle.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Here are the refs to EF lenses you missed in the thread, which had very few participants:
What I have found is on some larger zooms that if you remove the lens from the body while power is on, you can get a rattle. SO turn off the camera before removing the lens.

My EF 100 L Macro sounds terrible, as do other examples of the lens that I've checked (four or five) but the ability to make noise does NOT effect its ability to make images...

Exactly!! The 100 Macro is scary sounding. I have detached it without turning the camera off while the IS is still whirling. That even makes things more loose and rattly. If you let IS come to a stop things get a little more solid sounding, but I thought it was broken when I first got it. One noisy lens.

They are all for EF lenses that rattle. I have the 100-500mm - it wobbles but doesn't rattle.
Okay, I thought you meant there were people specifically responding with comments about the EF 70-200 mm. I did see those EF 100 mm remarks, but I don't think they are meaningful to the question at hand: Is it normal for the RF 70-200 mm IS unit not to park regardless of the way power was cut from it.

I am under the impression that this is the case. And that Canon intends it to be this way, based on all the discussions that took place about this with happening with the RF 100-500.

A rattling sound is of course not the same thing as a wobble of the IS elements itself. But how noticeable such a sound is would depend both on how far away your ear is and how hard the lens is shaken. Hard to compare aspects. I would think that unless movement while being turned off is physically restricted, there has to be a sound when the lens is moved abruptly as the elements hit the lens sections. Even if it is barely noticeable, especially under regular circumstances.

It also seems to me like the comments made by the Canon service person quoted by the OP are misguided, since it seems like they talk about noises made by the IS unit while it is powered on. Whoch is not what the OP asked about.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
and I noticed when I got home the lens rattles/wobbles a little nothing severe YET, but is that NORMAL?

Yes. The IS doesn't 'park' when camera is off or unmounted. I wouldn't call it a 'rattle' so much as you can feel the IS elements move around... maybe a slight 'clunk' as it hits travel limit.

Quick test, turn the camera on and IS off. The clunking should go away as the IS elements are being held centered.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
Yes. The IS doesn't 'park' when camera is off or unmounted. I wouldn't call it a 'rattle' so much as you can feel the IS elements move around... maybe a slight 'clunk' as it hits travel limit.

Quick test, turn the camera on and IS off. The clunking should go away as the IS elements are being held centered.
turn the IS off on the lens?

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
turn the IS off on the lens?
Yes. IS off on lens while camera is on/powered, will electronically lock both the IS elements in the lens and the IS sensor in the body. When everything is locked, the clunking you hear when moving around the camera should go away.

Note, By default on the R5, when you turn IS off on the lens, the body IS also shuts off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
Yes. IS off on lens while camera is on/powered, will electronically lock both the IS elements in the lens and the IS sensor in the body. When everything is locked, the clunking you hear when moving around the camera should go away.

Note, By default on the R5, when you turn IS off on the lens, the body IS also shuts off.
ok I will try it even though I still hear some movement

Upvote 0